[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tired of this trope.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
So, this trope of rage unleashes power, pain and sorrow unleashes power, I have to kill my father to be sad and have power. First of all its edgy and a childish idea for a story, I am not even asking why they do this so much.

I would like you guys to help me find alternatives of sudden awakening of potential besides the edgy trope I mentioned.
>>
First of all, the Uchiha thing is actually somewhat creative because it's different from the "mad at villains=strong" thing. It's more of a "courage to become evil" type of deal.

Second, there's enlightenment powers such as this you might find in some anime.
>>
I feel like there are stories where extreme sadness and hardship causes characters to withdraw and lose their power, like making them go into a slump, but I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head.
>>
>>135543120
Ironically is the opposite of mythology and traditions usually portray the discovery of potential which is through illumination, understanding and finding inner equilibrium.

I guess is more popular to make rage induced power ups because those are easier to relate to and is more cathartic. People want to feel righteous and empowered when they rage over something.

For examples I think of Virgo Shaka from Saint Seiya, he's the total opposite of rage and screaming being a living Budha and is undoubtedly one of the most badass characters in a cast full of badasses.
>>
>>135543473
The Uchiha is biologically, emotional instability gives you power for self defense.

They killed best friends for power and so on.

>>135543542
What I meant was reasons for this awakening besides the edgy reason. Being super happy/confident unleashing this super potential exists?
>>
>>135543120
Nice blog m8.

Liked and subscribed.
>>
>>135543640
WIXOSS did a kind of power ramping where the more "fun" the main character was having, the more power milestones she started reaching, but the "fun" was kind of sadistic and questionable in nature, which is where the character conflict came from.
>>
>>135543120
I don't much like it myself when it's done as badly as your example, but the hero/character being motivated by loss or having to commit evil for the sake of good is one of the very oldest things in storytelling.

Of course it is the amount of balls and determination that such an act requires that should ideally make a character bolder and more certain of himself, thus enabling him to dare to do crazy shit, rather than unlocking brand new abilities, but that change is what will almost inevitably happen when you move down the quality to fucking Naruto or other shit aimed at children.

As for an alternative, getting power is always going to be tricky. A real, old fashioned training montage is nice, to at least imply hard work and keep the pacing somewhat in tact, but that's more covering the power angle rather than awakening.
I suppose a sort of awakening example could be the 'I am your father' revelation between Darth Vader and Luke which established a connection between them, an angle for both of them to work and which ultimately resolved their conflict, but that is not the type of awakening to power either, simply something the characters learn.

I suppose you could go for a religious experience of sorts which transforms your understanding of the world, which then grants a whole new perspective that lets you see ways of doing things, solutions to problems you did not notice before.
>>
>>135543608
Totally agree with you.

Besides illumination like a Buddha, which seems to have a training for it. anything else more sudden in change?
>>
>>135543683 (You)
>>
>>135543120
Oh forgot. Shaman King's MC is also a good example. His power ups came from understanding various stages of life and dead and freeing his mind from unecessary baggage like grudges. In fact he was very laid back.
>>
File: 06j.png (136 KB, 308x464) Image search: [Google]
06j.png
136 KB, 308x464
>>135543120
>watching Naruto
I found your problem.
>>
>>135543807
>posts fateshit

Okai
>>
>>135543640
I vaguely remember spiral power beng that way.
>>
>>135543640
>They killed best friends for power and so on
Wasn't that a lie that Itachi told early on in the series? Pretty much every instance of the Mangekyo came from seeing a loved one die.
>>
>>135543608
>I guess is more popular to make rage induced power ups because those are easier to relate to and is more cathartic.
You're signalling out a single character and that's Sasuke. And Sasuke eventually learned to mitigated and subdue the rage, I don't think Kishimoto wanted to convey rage=catharticism.

I think Kishimoto wanted to convey with Sasuke, that it's empty nihilism and aimless, if that's all you seek, it'll destory you. Look at how Sasuke changed after he discovered the truth about Itachi and the Uchiha clan. It may not have been profound yet it was noticeable even if his personality remained the same, his view and perception changed.
>People want to feel righteous and empowered when they rage over something.
You're not entirely wrong yet that's why Naruto exist. Pain and Obito were Naruto if Naruto went into the darkness. In the case of Pain, Naruto was able to "mindbreak" Pain's philosophy and show him his worldview doesn't function that why.

And Sasuke himself learnt that too from Itachi and Naruto toward the end had an influence too.
>>
>>135543120
These type of stories date back to ancient Babylon.

I don't have a slowpoke slow enough for this, so I'm going to mark your post down, wait 4000 years, and reply with slowpoke.

See you in 40 centuries.
>>
>>135543762 (You) (You)
>>
>>135544283
Second Hokage explains the biology of the sharingan.

Basically its literally downfall emotions that trigger the self defense power known as sharingan.
>>
Experiencing true rage and anger causes large amounts of adrenaline to pump through your body, meaning that you'll be able to take a hell of a lot more damage before you even begin to feel it, and also hit a lot stronger since your natural inhibitors are suppressed. Going berserk causes people to do things that they normally would never do, thus the concept of extreme anger unlocking a hidden strength the a person never knew they had.
>>
>>135543120
Shounen tier question gets shounen tier answer: Fairy Tail. They get stronger with the power of friendship.
>>
>>135544493
True, but friendship is also overused, OP post is kinda incomplete I admit.

I was looking for individual triggers mostly.
>>
How about fear? The whole "fight or flight" thing. Being scared shitless can get you to perform incredible thing (or shut down entirely). How about your "potential being awakened" by being in a deadly situation?

I can see the series now: COWARD WARS. The world's armies began recruiting special "coward agents" who are thrown in the toughest missions. They either piss their pants or become superhuman.
>>
>>135544820
Good idea for the trigger, they would realize how to use the power after the first experience not being afraid anymore.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.