[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it take to get scanlators to work on a particular manga
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: Umimachi Diary.png (1 MB, 1055x768) Image search: [Google]
Umimachi Diary.png
1 MB, 1055x768
What does it take to get scanlators to work on a particular manga or to get attention to certain works?

It's obvious that some do it because they simply like the content, but that's not true for all. Some I'm sure do it because they like working on popular titles and like the feeling of their work being consumed by a large audience, while some do it for just monetary purposes (i.e., donations).

For example, I'd love to see a scanlation for Umimachi Diary. The manga has won the Excellence Prize in 2007 from the Japan Media Arts Festival, as well as the Manga Taisho Award in 2013 (winners from other years include Chihayafuru, Silver Spoon, March Comes Like a Lion, A Bride's Story), and nominated for many others, but then it hasn't been worked on in a long time:

>v.1 c.2 by Village Idiot (1230d ago)
>v.1 c.1 by Village Idiot (2025d ago)

It's even been made into a live-action movie, but it isn't your typical campy or artistically bankrupt money grab manga/anime to live-action adaptation. This was actually done by Horikazu Koreeda, who directed films like Nobody Knows, Still Walking, Like Father Like Son, etc.

Are there any avenues for your typical manga fan to get translations for projects, or are we just out of luck and need to learn moon?
>>
Sounds interesting. Someone translate this shit.
>>
>>135535278
Why does it take you people years and years of complaining about lack of translations instead of using your fucking brain and doing one of the most natural things humans do: acquire fucking language.

>For example, I'd love to see a scanlation for Umimachi Diary.
I'll scanlate it for you, 3$US a page, if you provide high quality raw scans.
>Are there any avenues for your typical manga fan to get translations for projects
Do what the rest of the world does when they want things: pay for them, you fucking parasite.
>>
>>135535491

I'd actually be okay with buying the manga for the scanlation group and paying, although spreading the costs among others who would like to see it done would be better.
>>
>>135535777
You either want it or not.
>>
>>135535278
I found a bunch of raws on NT but the file size is way too small for them to be of decent quality.

And as always the answer is to FUCKING LEARN JAPANESE ALREADY! You're obviously invested in this hobby, so why the fuck haven't you learnt it already?
>>
>>135535865

I am, but it takes many more years to be able to actually translate a manga.
>>
>>135535865
>You're obviously invested in this hobby, so why the fuck haven't you learnt it already?
/a/ is full of /a/utistic manchildren who have been raised as special snowflakes that scream and carry on till they get their way.

>>135535887
No it doesn't you fucking retard.
>>
I posted a generic "why isn't this good manga being translated anymore" thread with a picture of loli Kiriha. Then it got translated by korean lolicons to korean while waiting for decent Japanese raws. Now it's the scanlations is just 2 chapter behind Japan. I hope you get lucky OP.
>>
>>135536036

Stuff for lolicons is probably easy. Josei is probably one of the hardest.
>>
>>135535887
If you put in an hour every day and have watched anime for at least 3 years you'll be able to read Yotsubato/the average SoL manga within 6 months. Earlier if you're a really dedicated NEET.
>>
>>135535278
>need to learn moon
Sounds like you already know the answer. This is what happens when your interests are so niche.
>>
>>135535777
Do you fucking want it or not? Quit waiting for other people to put up their hand, and put yours up.
>>
File: 013 (2).jpg (287 KB, 990x1400) Image search: [Google]
013 (2).jpg
287 KB, 990x1400
>>135535865
Just downloaded to check. The quality is plenty decent.
>>
File: 013 (2).png (455 KB, 990x1400) Image search: [Google]
013 (2).png
455 KB, 990x1400
>>135537616
And leveled for comparison.
>>
Personally, I only TL things I'm interested in. Don't care to waste my time on other stuff. I also don't like taking on large projects because I can't guarantee timeliness. A lot of groups that do smaller or unpopular manga are just one guy doing everything himself, that's the reason that stuff goes so slow.

>Are there any avenues for your typical manga fan to get translations for projects, or are we just out of luck and need to learn moon?
Commission people.
>>
>>135535278
Is the movie on DVD/blu-ray yet? I really like Koreeda and the manga seems nice.
>>
File: Capture.png (204 KB, 1010x758) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
204 KB, 1010x758
>>135538740

Was just released Dec. 16th and uploaded last week. Still no subs yet, though.
>>
>>135538829
>Composers: Yoko Kanno
Wait, seriously? I had no idea. Can't wait for subs.
And hopefully it gets uploaded onto a public tracker because I am far too lazy to get into any decent private ones.
>>
File: 4g06y0.png (938 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4g06y0.png
938 KB, 1920x1080
>>135538886

She also did the soundtracks for Petal Dance and Su Ki Da, which are two other really good Japanese films. Direction and dialogue of those two might come off as pretentious or masturbatory, but they're beautifully shot films.
>>
>>135535278
You're better off sticking to shounen battlers and haremshit like the rest of /a/.
>>
Better to ask this to some j-drama fags on their forum since /a/ don't care about these type of things in particular.
>>
>>135538829
>>135538886
Meh, the guy who composed Memoria from Orange Days make better fitting music for jdrama than yoko desu
>>
>>135535278
Simple rule of thumbs is that if a manga won any decent prize it will get translated when one of older groups has free time, usually never.

You should start learning Japanese.
>>
>>135535278
There are 3 types of scanlators: moefags, shonenfags and maturefags. Maturefags are the most laziest.
>>
>>135535887
There's a guy TLing seinen shit with kanji who just learned it last year.
>>
>>135542806
I think he meant translate WELL.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.