[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Character is suppose to have a limit to his ability and once
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 38
File: 1449162126682.jpg (35 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1449162126682.jpg
35 KB, 250x250
>Character is suppose to have a limit to his ability and once he goes over that limit he's meant to face serious consequences

>Character goes over the limit and doesn't face any consequences
>>
File: Swords Internally.png (914 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Swords Internally.png
914 KB, 1280x960
>>135145414
>Character dies due those consequences
>>
Rather, it's that you aren't shown the consequences or repercussions.

How interesting would something like, say Berserk, be if the majority of the pages in every few chapters was Guts cleaning up, bandaging wounds; setting dislocated joints, etc., and then complaining about his injuries in the next chapter?
>>
>>135147185
I don't think he's talking about that shit at all man.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about shounen protagonists who stand up from grievous injuries out of pure will power, draw out their secret technique, then get up again before the next arc and pull out a stronger technique. At that point it's not a case of the boring stuff being cut out, it's a case that you're explicitly shown how the protagonist isn't suffering any lasting effects.
>>
>>135147185
As an example of what OP's saying, think of Guy, not berserk.
>>
File: Xh2WiXzMqa.jpg (59 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Xh2WiXzMqa.jpg
59 KB, 800x450
>MC walks into the main heroine undressing
>>
File: image.png (23 KB, 223x174) Image search: [Google]
image.png
23 KB, 223x174
>MC has no noteworthy powers or applicable skills
>is in a high level university of people with high level powers
>his mates constantly have to bail him out of stupid situations he gets himself in.
>>
>>135147282
well, you know. Suspension of disbelief, inspiring the young male demographic to work their hardest when they enter the workforce.
>>
>MC gets power up when he's angry
>>
File: raku.png (666 KB, 1280x716) Image search: [Google]
raku.png
666 KB, 1280x716
>>135148733
Even worse:

>MC is the last one in the ranking system
>because he's so strong his strength can't be measured
>>
>>135148888
So you're saying shounen is a conspiracy to brainwash young Japanese boys into allowing themselves to become overworked salarymen, mister Nazi quads?
>>
>>135147282
Fair enough, I didn't really get that when I read it. I can accept someone standing up off sheer willpower provided they do not actually possess further strength or ability at that point, though. People get up from/after a lot of horrible things in the real world. Hell, you can stand on broken legs in some cases, it's just unimaginably painful.
>>
>watch shounenshit
>complain it's shit
>>
I wish more subverted/unique conclusions were included in manga/literature in general.

I've always wanted to read a fantasy story wherein after meeting and leaving the magic midpoint-man - Tom Bombadil types; the one who is seemingly invincible, appears to play no role in the story and disappears completely from the plot after his segment - that person kills/destroys the antagonist long before the protagonist's entourage reaches their destination. Yet, they would continue fighting their environs in belated attempts to reach the antagonist; losing friends, rivals, acquaintances alike in their journeys only to find that the antagonist has been destroyed; and they are forced to contemplate to what their adventure ultimately surmounted and endure the ramifications of the desperate and wild things done in the name of heroism, all the while searching for an answer to the questions of whether or not they caused the magic man to destroy the enemy in advance by explaining their adventure's purpose, if he intended to destroy the enemy prior to their arrival and simply did not let them know and why, etc.

Essentially, both the journey and a "dark aftermath" to a purely bitter and vain quest.

Would that not make for something entertaining?
>>
>>135145414
Rakudai kishi no Stellaashit
>>
>>135151773
Depends on how it's executed.
>>
>MC gets his shit slapped the whole fight
>Makes a comeback and defeats his opponent in 1 hit
>>
>>135151898
You get my point though - it's a unique story concept that would entertain a reader far more than something like "the deuteragonist is the only one capable of delivering the final blow upon the antagonist, and the protagonist is angry at him because he wants to do it".
>>
>>135145414

I remember when I was a child and I watched Saint Seiya on TV. The first time Shiryu used the forbidden technique I really thought he was going to die. After the 3rd time, it had lost all of the drama. That was the first anime cliche that died for me, I never believed it again.

Years later, a friend of mine that watched Naruto on TV was really worried because the fat kid ate some pills that were supposed to kill him or something like that, I laughed at her and she got really offended, but I couldn't fathom someone buying the forbidden ability cliche anymore.

And even before that there was Dragon Ball with the Kaioken. Toriyama really raped the cliche in the ass.
>>
File: 1447010655603.png (16 KB, 200x163) Image search: [Google]
1447010655603.png
16 KB, 200x163
>character dies
>comes back to life somehow
>>
A better question would be, now many times the MC can even go over the limit.

Dragonball power ups and Kenshiro asspull secert techinics for all suituations is really dumb.
>>
>Character is disfigured/disabled by the end of the series due to battles, his abilities, or some other event
Guilty Crown comes to mind.
>>
File: fjrtjrj.jpg (101 KB, 1083x720) Image search: [Google]
fjrtjrj.jpg
101 KB, 1083x720
>>135153192
>Character dies
>They were the only reason to read/watch the series, or they were really important
>They don't come back to life
>They are referenced throughout the entire series
>>
>>135146671
>He gets resurrected anyway
>>
>>135148733
This is fine if MC is actually worthless.
>>135149556
This is irredeemably shit.
>>
>>135153192
>MC dies
>Everyone pretty much confirms he's dead, even the character residing inside him
>"You dead, son."
>Few seconds later
>"Never mind, I can revive you."
>>
>>135148733
But it's a commentary on how real people get through life by being subpar anon.
>>
>MC gets thrown in to a wall so fast the wall cracks and crumbles down

>MC gets back up a sec later even though his back should be destroyed
>>
>>135153192
>Characters 'die' over and over again in a series with no resurrection mechanic
>Always end up either miraculously surviving or being resurrected by some ridiculous ass pull, every, single, time
>They still act like you're supposed to feel some kind of tension even though it has become obvious that the author lacks the balls to actually kill anyone

OR
>Characters always talk about death and killing during fights ("IF you fight me, I will kill you", "This is a fight to the death", "Be careful or you'll die", "I've come here to kill you", etc, etc
>No one EVER actually dies during fights except maybe a few random enemy mooks

Seriously, if no one of note is going to actually die then stop fucking bringing it up.
>>
>>135153586
ANIME DURABILITY!

Seriously though, this bothers me even more when it's in a series where the characters are meant to be completely ordinary humans (or have abilities that have nothing to do with being more durable than your average human).
>>
>>135149556
>He's so stronk the only thing that killed him was a disease.

>Mc is so weak he's actually the strongest potentially.
>>
>>135153726
I'm still waiting for that to happen in some shonen and the character just having their spine destroyed and they'll be out of commission for the rest of the series.
I know it will never happen, but I will wait anyway.
>>
File: img000011.jpg (438 KB, 1523x1200) Image search: [Google]
img000011.jpg
438 KB, 1523x1200
>>135153827
A nuclear arsenal cannot bring this man down. Nor disease, or a virus.
>>
>>135153586
Throws and tosses in general seem to do little to no damage in anime, even though they can be absolutely devastating in real life.
>>
File: now.jpg (19 KB, 210x214) Image search: [Google]
now.jpg
19 KB, 210x214
>>135145414
>consequences of super-powerups

The only time I've ever seen this played straight was in a long-running webcomic.

And HxH because it's practically forever hiatus at this point. But if it'd continue I'm pretty sure Gon would somehow recover his nen.
>>
File: 4400493-13.jpg (347 KB, 1079x779) Image search: [Google]
4400493-13.jpg
347 KB, 1079x779
>>135147282
>>135148888
>>135151128
fucking rock lee
>>
>>135153929
Does Kiba count? The main character's only friend pursues power out of jealousy for his friend's strength, and after the final fight he ultimately ends up bound to a wheelchair, completely unable to even live on his own anymore.
>>
File: 1445760145855.gif (892 KB, 245x200) Image search: [Google]
1445760145855.gif
892 KB, 245x200
>>135154087
Made me sob pretty bad the first time I saw that fight's end scene, in the anime.

After training so hard and so long to achieve *any* result whatsoever, he was able to fight so hard and so long against an opponent with a natural counter to his only ability; he shredded all the muscles in his arms and legs in order to stand a chance and he still failed to finish Gaara, and was unnecessarily wounded by his opponent to the point where medical personnel thought he would be permanently crippled. And he couldn't accept that reality, conscious or unconscious, so he stood up.
>>
>>135154431
But there was no impact whatsoever because he was fine in the next episode.
>>
File: eh.png (75 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
eh.png
75 KB, 323x323
>World is near the end
>None of the mature and responsible adults do jackshit
>Leave it to some clueless 15 years old fuqboi instead
>>
>>135154612
It doesn't have to make a lasting impact to be an incredibly poignant *moment*.

It's the difference between reading about a Medieval war in which thousands were slaughtered and seeing a photograph of the fight, of men screaming and dying and men trying to kill others. It's the moment within its own context.
>>
>>135154092
Kiba doesn't count because it's so bad that you shouldn't watch it
>>
>>135154890
Your sentence implies that you watched it. You can't deny that the end was depressing. Noah in a wheelchair being taken care of by someone he once wanted to kill and Zed meaninglessly drifting through worlds, still looking for a place where he could be accepted.
>>
>>135154026
Killua literally used the convenient plot device of his sister who can grant wishes THAT COME WITH HORRIBLE CONSEQUENCES. Which he circumvented by asking with love instead of malice or some shit. Been a while since I read it.
>>
File: Saija2_Lux.png (128 KB, 200x324) Image search: [Google]
Saija2_Lux.png
128 KB, 200x324
>>135145414
>MC is called the weakest
>Is actually the strongest and most skilled
>>
>>135154612
It wasn't that bad, he was out for like two arcs.
>>
>>135155467
I still maintain that Kimimaro was one of the most unbalanced (not counting the snowflakes) and under-appreciated characters in the series. If he didn't have cancer, he would have beaten both Lee and Gaara with relative ease.
>>
>>135145414

>Character gets perma crippled with severe handicap.
>Becomes strongest character when fully charged at maximum power.
>>
>>135154612

Nah, he was crippled for a lot of chapters, no one talked about healing him until Tsunade came along, and she even had a 50/50 chance of failing. And I know that the chances of failing, just like the consequences of the forbidden technique, never come up, but still Lee's reaction (natural fear of dying) and how his teacher help him cope was amazing.
>>
>>135154087
I found Rock Lee excusable though. He only came back after they found Tsuande, who was a legendary doctor - and they only used this hax once, and only on Rock Lee (who was a good character - back when Kishi developed characters outside of Naruto and Sharingan).

What pisses me off, and is also used in Naruto, is secret techniques that should never be used because "they shorten your life span" (Gates, 5+ Tails, Orochimaru Curse, Mangekyou Sharingan techs, Kishi fuckin used it a lot)

It's the most cop out requirement, because in almost 100% of cases if they don't use it, their life span will be shorted to 0, and 2.) as far as the reader is concerned, the limitation does not exist. We have no reason to care about the main character when they are 70, so they fact they will live to 69 instead holds no fucking weight.
>>
>>135155836
Shortened lifespan generally just means immediate irreparable damage or conditions of the body that lower the quality of life and chance of surviving past age x.

Say you had an elective surgery that would take 10 years off your lifespan - you're going to be weaker and less able to do shit at a younger age, far before your death.

So if your character is 20 and the average length of life in our hypothetical given series is 70 years, "shortening their lifespan" 30 years would mean they will have the body of a 70 year old man at the age of 40, having severely weakened their body such that 20 more years of life after the technique equates to 50 years of life.
>>
>>135152572
>Goku was hospitalized for eight months after his battle with vegeta because he couldn't regain the stamina he lost from going too high with kaioken
>>
>>135153287
rip dog knight
>>
Those rules are only created to be broken.
>>
>>135152572
One of the things i like about dragon ball and pre cell saga dbz was that after a major fight, goku would be out of it for an extended period of time. When he fought king piccolo, he was pretty much completely disabled.
>>
File: She calls it healthism.jpg (39 KB, 414x328) Image search: [Google]
She calls it healthism.jpg
39 KB, 414x328
>>135145414
>world without powers
>MC has no powers/is heavily disadvantaged compared to the others in terms of powers
>gets a gamebreaking powerup instead of learning to use his abilities efficiently
>>
>>135156609
World where everyone has powers, I mean
>>
>>135156656
There aren't many stories where power works in a logical way because in a logical world boring traits such as carefulness and patience would win over more interesting characters.
>>
File: Dragon Ball Z (902).png (262 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball Z (902).png
262 KB, 1024x1536
>>135156101
>>
>>135152274
>everyone dies shaggy dog story
>good

Doesn't work unless you have likable characters that stay alive, and even then people are gonna be pissed. I'm not saying that generic is good, but subverting things purely for the sake of originality is a gimmick at best, and infuriating at worst.
>>
Is this a claymore thread?
>>
>>135156862
>but subverting things purely for the sake of originality is a gimmick at best, and infuriating at worst.
This. I get being tired of overused cliches, but the way a lot of /a/ talks like things would be instantly better by adding subversions for the sake of subversions shows why it's a bad idea for /a/ to handle stories. Tropes have their uses, in the end what matters the most is how you execute them.
>>
File: NAHSAAAAAAAA.jpg (25 KB, 426x418) Image search: [Google]
NAHSAAAAAAAA.jpg
25 KB, 426x418
>there are no fat people in anime
>>
>>135156862
>everyone dies
I didn't say everybody dies. It could be one person dying, it could be thirty, it could be one hundred thousand. I never specified how large the protagonist's group was, did I?

>people are gonna be pissed
You seem more concerned with the product's immediate reception than with the product itself. If I drew the most beautiful painting to ever exist, and it happened to be a portrait of Muhammad, there would also be a lot of people angry at me.

>shaggy dog story
Try to explain the plot of Blame! in two different ways. Or try to explain the plot of the Baki series once.
It is not a complicated story concept that I am proposing, it is simply very difficult to summarize its storyboarding.
Think Joseph Campbell's monomyth, except cut short after the Road of Trials. It then transfigures into a constantly self-abusing blend of Darkness at Noon, Joyce's The Dead and Kafka's The Trial.
>>
>>135157991
>I didn't say everybody dies
Fair enough then.
>comparing anger at a work failing to deliver on a promised climax to anger for arbitrary personal reasons
If your work pisses people off because of flaws, that's not a good thing, no matter what kind of justification you try to make.
>dodging the point about the shaggy dog story
If the hero's journey was for nothing, then it is a shaggy dog story, and it's incredibly hard to make a satisfying end of it. I haven't read any of the thing's you're namedropping except for the Trial, but I can tell you that the Trail isn't going to work if there are multiple hours of emotional investment preceding it.
>>
>Use Gear 2nd for the first time
>You're shortening your life.
>G2 is now a standard boost for every move
>>
File: Shiggy Digg-Ai.jpg (39 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
Shiggy Digg-Ai.jpg
39 KB, 570x238
>George Costanza has a crush on Ellaine Benis
>He receives confession from girl on his cellphone
>It turns out it's from girl from an alternate dimension
>Alternate-girl (A-Girl) loves Alternate boy (A-boy)
>A-girl wants to learn about A-boy from boy since she assumes the two are the same
>Boy wants to learn about girl from A-girl due to the same reason
>Boy and A-girl can only communicate through short messages (SMS)
>A tale of love through cellphones
>Implying magical cellphones are real
>Implying this pasta is funny
>Posting Keit-Ai in 2011 + 4
>ISHYGDDT
>>
>>135157866
there are no fat people in japan
>>
Most of these seems like it's talking about Bleach.
>>
>>135155836
Itachi died from one of the adverse effects of overusing the sharingan, right? I feel like that was clarified at some point in the manga, but it's been years since that scene came up
>>
Recent offender, Seraph
>don't take these magic pills you'll die and stuff
>takes like three
>he acts fine then collasped mid sentence
>back to fighting form within an episode
god damit
>>
File: It's Keit-Ai Time.jpg (48 KB, 405x464) Image search: [Google]
It's Keit-Ai Time.jpg
48 KB, 405x464
>>135160079
>>
>villain is highly intelligent and will go to any lengths to achieve his/her goal
>when faced with the rare opportunity to get rid of MC it doesn't actually happen because "MC isn't actually a threat so there's no point in killing him"

I am fucking tired of people losing because they underestimate protagonist despite being an obvious threat.
>>
>>135159924
I'm not saying this ought to be a story that makes it abundantly clear something will happen and then switch it out. The antagonist(s) (or their motive) perishes. That's all you're ever really promised in any story.

Not sure if you're referring to Campbell's The Hero's Journey concept or just the actual hero, can't respond to that adequately.

It's hard to make a satisfying end for such a story? No, it is hard to make it possess the standard conventions of a satisfying end. Just as we have cliche stories, we have cliche endings that everybody loves to meet. There is no reason to ever use a cliche ending unless it properly ends the story. What ends the story, ends the story: not what you want to end the story. I want the woman in The Lottery to survive without injury and spend the rest of her life in leisure. That is the cliche *I* as the reader have chosen. Yet that would ruin the ending, would it not?

Darkness at Noon deals with a Russian political prisoner under Stalin's rule. He reflects upon the people he had to betray in order to save himself before he was imprisoned, and the things they collectively stood for as a group initially; the intense pride and beliefs they shared. He suffers the anxiety of intense lines of questioning, sleep deprivation, the intense cold of a Russian winter, etc. He sees a light that could rescue him from the prison in the face of a former ally, but it is almost immediately snuffed out. Throughout the novel, he chronically suffers from a severe toothache that proves to be little more than a constant, physical reminder of his past. He essentially coalesces into a person who neither hates nor loves himself and is eventually executed, fully accepting of his fate, without much thought from either the executioner or himself.
>>
I'd like to really see more series that really play with the thing where people going over the limit shaving off their lifespan.

ie their body starts failing over the course of the series and they realize the consequences.

Bokurano was one, except instead of shaving it just took the whole thing and left.
>>
>>135162777

The Dead is about societal interaction, displaying prominently many of the truly human aspects that we see in our lives, the things we think to ourselves when we hear certain pieces of information, as well as musing over the relationship between the dichotomies of life and death and present time and lives' history.

You know how The Trial works, so there's no point in me explaining that again.

So ultimately we're left with a tragically "realistic" fantasy work: human characters undergo human hardships and, upon realizing they were in vain and damaged others, must ultimately deal with the reality of a world that did not ask for their help, never needed them, and will never praise them for their *efforts*; perhaps even disparaging or attacking them. It may be a world wherein magic and fantastic things exist, but humans will always be human.
>>
>>135162914
Tough does that, but I have yet to read it, so I'm unsure of its extent.
>>
>>135162914
Chrno Crusade did that.
>>
>>135162777
>>135162926
>It's hard to make a satisfying end for such a story? No, it is hard to make it possess the standard conventions of a satisfying end.
Those are pretty much the exact same things. The fact that an extremely cliched ending is undesirable was implied.
>What ends the story, ends the story: not what you want to end the story.
Yes, and that ending may unsatisfying. There's a tradeoff that the writer has to make between emotional satisfaction, the themes of the work (if they're strong and interesting enough to carry it), and the logical result of the plot. The key here is that you need to be hitting at least two of those notes for the ending not to be a flaw, and preferably all three. The plot you described hit one at best. Examining a band of adventurers' failure isn't nearly as unique and interesting as you seem to think it is, although I doubt anything I say can sway you on this.
>Everything else
I've tried to hold debates with people like you before, and it's painfully obvious that you just love to hear yourself talk. Namedropping a bunch of works just makes you sound pretentious, by the way, especially when simpler examples would suffice. And if you take nothing else I've said to heart tonight, then try writing your story one day and see how it goes. I'm sure you'll be a rousing success ;^)
>>
File: finnegan.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
finnegan.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>135163274
How is fucking The Dead pretentious? It's one of the most popular stories of all time. If I wanted to be a pretentious asshole, I'd be citing Ferdinand Levi-Strauss, Hegel or Giambattista Vico or someone else in that vein of obscurantism.

>There's a tradeoff that the writer has to make between emotional satisfaction, the themes of the work (if they're strong and interesting enough to carry it), and the logical result of the plot.
no
but nice english 100 advice ill be sure to keep it in mind

>The key here is that you need to be hitting at least two of those notes for the ending not to be a flaw, and preferably all three.
glad you know the keys to proper writing and were willing to share them with me without paying the $25 entry fee. I'm sure you'll be a rousing success ;^)

>I've tried to hold debates with people like you before, and it's painfully obvious that you just love to hear yourself talk
>And if you take nothing else I've said to heart tonight, then try writing your story one day and see how it goes. I'm sure you'll be a rousing success ;^)
Christ, are you the new breed of shitposter that's on /lit/ now? Be honest - how many hours have you spent on /r/literature or whatever the fuck that place is? A few hundred minimum, I'm assuming? Is Foster Wallace your all-time favorite, maybe next to Shakespeare and Dante Alighieri? Glad I got out of there around the same time as D&E and the others. I get the impression you didn't even read my whole post before responding. Fuck off.
>>
>character sustains a clearly fatal injury at the end of a chapter
>in the next chapter, his injuries suddenly aren't that bad or they "missed his vitals"
>>
>>135160079
FiNDUSU A WEI
>>
what the fuck is this thread,
are you guys writing a book or something holy shit ?
>>
>character dies early on
>upbeat and confident, an instant fan favorite in the first few episodes
>death was meant to set the more serious tone of the rest of the series
>ended up being so memetic he dominates the after-series works anyway and throws the message on its head
>>
File: Frill-necked lizard.gif (2 MB, 308x240) Image search: [Google]
Frill-necked lizard.gif
2 MB, 308x240
>>135163926
I posted a purely hypothetical story concept and was Rodney King'd for it not being a stereotypical Japanese story, despite that being the point of the OP. People are stupid like that.
>>
>>135145414
>Dangerous technique that kills you
>It doesn't
>It just leaves you extremely exhausted
>>
>>135145414
>MC's only power is rapid growth

>MC's only power is huge reserve of [insert flavor of ki/power/spirit]
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 347x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 347x355
>MC talks or is seen to be developing relations with a popular girl or sexy girl in school
>suddenly all other males become demons and proceed to beat the fuck out of/torment said man

What even goes through a dudes head to do that?
>hurrdurr i can't pick up women because I'm beta/an open pervert/just a fucking annoying character
>better beat up the dude who can

Only time it didn't suck I guess was when Baka test did it because it was actually funny and not just cringe shit
>>
>>135151773
Anything fucking fresh will do anon.
No more high school settings too
>>
File: mr guided missile.jpg (17 KB, 288x370) Image search: [Google]
mr guided missile.jpg
17 KB, 288x370
>>135163698
> ^ clitoris
got a chuckle out of me
>>
>>135153641
You just summed up Naruto congratz
>>
File: 1390889401917.png (1001 KB, 955x957) Image search: [Google]
1390889401917.png
1001 KB, 955x957
>>135160079
>>
>>135161032
You triggered me with that shitty cliche
>>
Well, it gonna turn bad for him once he got exposed by Saitama, just like that hack Boros
>>
>>135164267
As much as I don't want to quote McKenna, I have to in this circumstance, regarding Finnegans Wake: "The first few pages are incredibly dense." There are so many linguistic/phonetic jokes or references stacked on top of each other that Joyce got away with saying quite a number of bizarre or offensive things in that book. According to Samuel Beckett I believe, at one point while Joyce was dictating the text word-by-word to Beckett at the typewriter (Joyce being almost entirely blind at this point) a housekeeper attempted to close the door to the room wherein this was taking place and Joyce told her to leave it open. Beckett, not realizing that Joyce had stopped dictating, wrote that part into the manuscript and when they realized the mistake later, Joyce told him to leave it in. There's also a paragraph in *I believe* Book 2 that I recall, wherein he essentially refers to Ulysses as a completely incomprehensible and garbage novel.
>>
File: Pig_g.png (119 KB, 458x351) Image search: [Google]
Pig_g.png
119 KB, 458x351
>>135157866
>>
>>135153424
Yuu talkin about Seraph?
>>
File: 1337230843487.png (162 KB, 457x450) Image search: [Google]
1337230843487.png
162 KB, 457x450
>>135157866
>fat ugly noble is always the villain
>>
>>135160079
Threadly reminder that you should stop posting that because it's a thing.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
>>
>>135164155
>Other characters all have interesting and unique powers
>MC is just a really strong melee fighter
>>
>>135151773
That's fucking stupid. You're one of those people who thinks that the subversion of tropes is the most intelligent thing that can be done in a work of fiction.
>>
>>135153291
Not in the Normal End.
>>
>>135169587
You mean the good one
>>
File: gs.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
gs.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>135160079
>>
>>135153287
Fucking TTGL.
>Simon is shown at the beginning in the ship
>Oh it's Kamina I wonder why is he wearing that outfit
>Kamina dies
>Oh he will be brought back
>about 15 episodes later
>it was Simon
>Kamina really died
>Kamina won't be brought back
>That reunion in ep 26
>Those feels ;___:
>>
>Story is about hardwork
>MC is given everything on a silver-platter. People act as though he worked his ass off when in reality he barely lifts a finger.
>Side-characters goes through hell, sheds blood, sweat, and tears just to reach an acceptable level, Compensate for any weakness they have. Other characters insult them and say they are 'tryhards' along with telling them they don't have the right to be where they are.
>>
File: sad (2).gif (1 MB, 300x165) Image search: [Google]
sad (2).gif
1 MB, 300x165
>>135153287
It’s been truly, truly, a very long roundabout path. Thank you, Gyro. Those are the only words I can think to say
>>
>>135153287
tsugumomo and vinland are truly beyond salvation
>>
>>135171640

Pretty much dragon ball. Once super saiyan kicked in, no hard work ever mattered compared with the huge power boosts the saiyans got
>>
File: all out.png (203 KB, 337x327) Image search: [Google]
all out.png
203 KB, 337x327
>>135148929
>MC gets ultimate level furious
>fights with all of his might
>misses every blow, gets the shit knocked out of him, and overall performs the worst possible he's ever done before
>has to spend time learning how to calm the fuck down in a fight
>>
>>135174921
Does training for a year straight in a white void with huge gravity and barely any atmosphere not count as hard work?
>>
>>135145414
It's a Bruce Lee reference.
>>
>>135175673

Nothing compared with the gamebreaking power of SSJ 2 in the same arc. And said transformation wasn't even a result of the training, he just got angry and voila, instant hax
>>
>>135174921
>Story is about hardwork
>MC is given everything on a silver-platter.
>Dragaon Ball

Nice bait desu, it's actually referring to Naruto
>>
>>135161032
>villain has mc cornered
>spends time delivering a speech or mocking mc instead of swiftly executing him
>"farewell and die with your futile efforts!"
>mc's friend comes out of no where and saves mc
>>
File: Shiroe_.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shiroe_.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>135156740

But I find carefulness and patience the most interesting. That's why I liked Log Horizon. It's like the MC was made with my interests in mind.
>>
>>135176171
>Lee worked harder than anyone to be superstrong.
>Sasuke and Naruto are stronger because special birth
Gai's hardwork paid off by damaging 10-tailed Madara more than anyone else did.
>>
>female character
>long hair
>something happens
>chops off all the hair

Dropped.
>>
>>135176912

But anon, how we can tell that a female character had character development if we don't see her cutting her hair?
>>
File: 1410985536443.jpg (70 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1410985536443.jpg
70 KB, 500x667
>main character is physically and mentally weak but has a hidden power that he doesn't like to rely on unless shit hits the fan
>>
>>135153287
Kircheis...
>>
>>135145414
>Costanza
>In six
>>
File: 1448995594591.jpg (99 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1448995594591.jpg
99 KB, 540x540
>character can't control their power
>gets fucked up every time they use it
>they keep using it regardless and suffer severe disfigurement
>>
File: enhanced-30731-1436527800-1.jpg (31 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-30731-1436527800-1.jpg
31 KB, 600x400
>>135163998
>>
>>135153969
I'd ask what monstrosity put that horrible anatomy to page, but I don't really want to know.
>>
>>135150371
Not that anon, but I could see it happening. You know they actually have a special word over there for someone who worked themselves to death?

Not anime death, actual, real-human-being-turns-into-a-corpse death.
>>
File: 1323210621001.jpg (50 KB, 400x570) Image search: [Google]
1323210621001.jpg
50 KB, 400x570
>>135157866
>dashing detective doesn't get the girl
>morbidly obese gluttonous manchild does
>>
>>135148266
If you're talking about Might Guy from Naruto, he got his foot crushed so badly even Hashirama cells couldn't heal that.
>>
>>135179254
He was supposed to die tho
>>
>>135160079
>Benis
>Penis
>>
>>135179288
He did die you twat, Naruto resurrected him
>>
>OP is a huge fucking faggot
>>
>>135147185
Frankly, I wouldn't mind an episode or chapter of the subject being taken care of medically by attractive members of the opposite sex.
>>
>>135179155
PAPRIKAAA
>>
>>135148733
>Get's himself and his cibernetic pet killed
>Gets space cancer and dies again
>Cures himself from space cancer, flirts with you and your mom and trash talks powerful ancient alien
>Escapes ancient alien assassins
based Salad V
>>
>main character appears in all promotional art
>dies in the first 5 minutes of the first episode
>never comes back
>turns out she wasn't actually the MC
>>
File: 1443711366616.jpg (135 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443711366616.jpg
135 KB, 720x1080
>characters have their abilities ranked by an in-universe organization
>MC is in the lowest tier
>>
>>135176171
No it isn't, Naruto was never about hard work. It was a story about emotional connections and how they drive people.
>>
>>135167553
Hello word master.
>>
>>135180686
I actually really like this cliche. MC is in lowest tier, or is unranked or even in a special tier.
>>
>>135180686
This shit is wonderful when is done right
>>
>>135153287
If only Kircheis was still alive
>>
>>135180920
Indeed. Mx0 will always have a special place in my heart.
>>
>>135155580
He was also the coolest, and the best character in the video games
>>
>>135180569
I was so fucking pissed when he appeared in second dream, its like nigga i killed you literally twice how the fuck do you keep comming back you are not even that cool a character just give me those fucking neural sensors you fuck
>>
>>135149556
tatsuya pls
>>
>>135182079
I was actually happy to see him again, I kind of like nigga after killing him each day for my daily forma
>>
>>135180661
>There's people that still think we will get Zombie Kanade next season
ayy
>>
>1v1 fight
>one guy grabs the other
>throws him on the ground/away instead of choking on his neck or punching him to death with one hand
>>
>>135182366
this happens a lot in movies, my dad called it "terminator syndrome"
there wouldnt be much of a story if the uber strong bad guy just snaps the MC in half, they have to give them adequate time to power-up/run away

>hero or villain charging their power
>"what is this outrageous increase in power!"
>doesn't actually do anything about it
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
>>135153192
Sup?
>>
>>135182481
in the newest dragon ball super episode frieza tried to attack goku while he was powering up
>>
>>135147185
Vagabond
>>
>Enemy manages to push MC against the wall by being genuinely clever and put him in a situation he can't just punch his way out of
>MC wins by just punching harder after a friendship/rage power-up
>>
>>135164219
This is so annoying.

There's also the other version of it

>character is doing something with/near girl
>suddenly everybody in the entire fucking location drops what they are doing to stare in pure jealously and hatred
Like what in the fucking shit
>>
I don't have another cliche example I just came here because I hate that shit
>>
>tournament arc that lasts fucking forever
>>
>>135178681
Keisuke Itagaki
>>
>>135160079
So this is the power of neo-/a/.
>>
>>135171177
Wasn't it Kamina's dad?
>>
>>135147185
But that is Berserk.
Seriously, they take breaks to bandage him and sprinkle fairy dust everywhere like every other chapter.
>>
>>135185416
>>135160079
Neo-/a/ is about as /a/ as Neo-Zeon is to Zeon or Neo-Queen Serenity is to Queen Serenity.

>Costanza
>SMS

Shit's crazy expensive in the 90s. Costanza would've had a Pager and not an actual cell phone unless he's got $1000 to spend on transdimensional dating.

Here's some fitting music for a blast to the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8ngKMz104
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.