[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 18
File: gate.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gate.jpg
107 KB, 1280x720
Why is this not more popular?

Should be AOTY.
>>
>>135040942

Because normalfags and libshits hate nationalism.
>>
/a/ probably hates it because it has references to Western movies and muh fan service.

It should be at least as popular as One Meme Man.
>>
>>135040942
It triggers people.
>>
File: gate.jpg (502 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gate.jpg
502 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: gate.jpg (150 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gate.jpg
150 KB, 1280x720
Well, at least it's getting more episodes next month.

I'd support them if it didn't cost $300 for the first 12 episodes, non-subbed. Maybe the nips will keep it going.
>>
>>135041116

This. Second highest rated review on MAL is bitching about Right-wing nationalism.

I wish all Leftists would just fall over dead at the end if the year.
>>
I've never read the source material, but I've read the manga and it makes me sad they leave alot of the character reactions to things out in the anime And I feel like alot of that charm ended up on the cutting room floor and it kills me.
>>
>>135041919

I thought the characters were decent enough. The setting alone makes me love it. I just hope it gets an actual second season.
>>
It's a shit adaption, OP
They skip over scenes(the drunk banter at the spring bring one), tone down d-day levels of violence into a pg13 off screen blood spurt, the characters feel flat, the nudity that was just there and not highlighted becomes flashy censored fan service.
And worst of all, it as a whole feels lile its being shot with a moe filter.the character redesigns are awful and uninteresting as fuck.
I dont give a fuck about the nationalism or how they depict america, because its a moderm army invading a high fantasy world, and thats a solid concept, but bothers a bunch of faggots for whatever reason.
>>
>>135042117
They cut just about everything that made the officers great.
Made the three females development more haremy despite only one of the three actually being interested in him.
>>
>>135040942
Manga is better, also patriotic Amerifats shit up ever thread.
>>
>>135042127
>being shot with a moe filter

Didn't get that vibe at all. And there's nothing wrong with moe, anyway.
>>
>>135040942
No it shouldn't, the anime is a terrible adaptation.
>>
>>135041868
>Second highest rated review on MAL
Why would you know such a thing? Are you a faggot or something?
>>
The GATE anime was great fanservice for fans of the manga, but as a standalone it was meh. The only person I know who got really into it through the anime was a fellow Kuronekofag that I told to watch it because Rory is Ruri 2.0.

And yeah, I agree about how haremy it got. I'd suspect part of that was them worrying that it wouldn't go over well on TV if the obvious pairing was a 30 year old man with a loli. (Not that she fits any of the usual loli tropes if you actually watch the show, but I can imagine the media throwing a fit anyway.)

I did like anime Leilei better than in the manga, though, if nothing else she's the only one who improved visually. I thought she was a young boy for the first dozen chapters of the manga, but she's quite cute in the anime.
>>
>>135042187

Well, I'm an Americlap, but I wouldn't put such shit past our government. I thought the black ops shit was realistic, in scenario, not how it actually played out, except for how the japs whoop the shit out of everybody. Didn't bother me at all though.

>>135042211

You can't tell me it isn't better than One Punch Man.

>>135042176

There still is only one female interested in him. How long's it been since you watched it?
>>
>>135042196
Its a war story in a high fantasy realm you dense fucker. I cant take the battle on the hill seriously if it cuts to the next scene and its some moe ass faggotry in the next scene
>>
Oh, also, as a total pervert and Roryfag, I take issue with the anime ruining her panchira. In the manga we get a glorious lewd lace thong, and the anime turned it into boring pink briefs.

Again, they probably felt weird because she's a "loli," but I think it actually backfired, because what she had on in the manga went a long way toward establishing her as a sexually mature woman who's just in a childish body, while the anime's version makes her seem more childish.
>>
>>135040942
JSDF wank
>>
>>135042318
>There still is only one female interested in him. How long's it been since you watched it?

I got much more of a sense of romantic tension with Leilei in the anime than I ever did in the manga.
>>
>>135042331

There is nothing wrong with moe.
>>
>>135042401

Well, he was interested in her, yeah, but I haven't seen the opposite at all, unless you count where she was drunk and had her arm on him.
>>
>>135042263
>what is a quick search
>>
>all of these source puristfags

Jebus.
>>
>>135042371

Nigger, did you even watch all of it? That isn't true at all. She owns a libtard pacifist bitch and afterward constantly talks about being old. She uses her appearance to scheme. Watch all the way to the end before making up stupid shit like this.
>>
>>135040942

Because people find or make up little shit to be asshurt about, like most of the posters in this thread.

Doesn't help that most of /a/ is Reddit now, either.
>>
>>135042722
I did. I'm only complaining about them removing her awesome lewd lace thong in favor of little girl panties, and saying that I think they did it because they were afraid of the Japanese version of SJWs.
>>
>>135042331
moe never did anything wrong
>>
>>135040942
>Should be AOTY.

It shouldn't be, because they threw the entire premise of having Japanese operators operating in Dungeons and Dragons, and instead made it a harem anime.

Even the main characters ex wife is part of his harem.
>>
>>135042908
It never had that premise
>>
patriotism and moe triggers many spectrums of autists
>>
>>135042861
>I think they did it because they were afraid of the Japanese version of SJWs.
You are retarded
>>
>>135042908
>made it a harem anime

This is false. The fact that there are multiple girls doesn't make an animu a harem. This is like babby's first shitpost.
>>
>>135042932
>it never had that premise
You are a liar and a fraud

>>135043005
>one of the girls still loves him even though she initiated the divorce
>one literally wants to sex him up to sedate her blood lust
>one believes they are married and have no issue with this
>one has way too many daddy issues and is mentally unstable, but this is really the one he is interested on developing a relationship with
>>
>>135040942
Because it's ultimately a generic self-insert fantasy harem series with a bunch if nationalistic japan self-wank jammed into it.

In other words it's on roughly the same level as shit like SAO. It's not very good.
>>
>>135040942

nationalism is fine but there is too much unwarranted Japanese nationalism. Also, magic loli being superior to guns makes this show unwatchable
>>
>>135043061
Where are your roman legions in D&D?
>>
>>135043115
>nationalism is fine
>unless other nations do it
>>
>>135040942
It's boring. They sacrifice any real physical or verbal conflict or tension because whoever's writing can't portray the JSDF as weak. So you have a show where the characters wreck everything in their way and a political landscape too black and white to be interesting.

Itami is also really embarrassing wish fulfillment, even by anime standards.
>>
>>135043120
>Taking the "Dungeons and Dragons" part so literally you actually think Japanese operators will be rolling D20 and doing skill checks

How about you stop shitposting and go to bed. You have school in the morning.
>>
>>135043061
>image
>D&D

You are the worst of low intelligence shitters.

There is only one fucking girl that is interested in him at all. His ex just wants to keep using him and being his friends, hence the "start over" and the fact they were friends since middle school.

You don't know what a fucking harem is. Fuck off, you underage little faggot.
>>
>>135040942
The premise was so good that, for several episodes, /a/ wasn't willing to admit that it was really fucking boring. A military campaign in a fantasy realm? Sign me the fuck up. Then an apostle to the god of death is on their side and on Itami's dick, and you realize this is some really pathetic fantasy of a sad ex-JSDF guy who never saw any action and never got any action.
>>
>>135043146
The fantasy elements are just minor additions to the roman empire theme.

Your operating in D&D implies that the fantasy elements would be the major theme, which they are not.
>>
>>135043188
>never saw any action and never got any action
aaayyyy
>>
>>135043139
>because whoever's writing can't portray the JSDF as weak

What exactly would they be weak against going up against people wielding swords? If you're bitching about them BTFO of China, Russia, and USA on their own turf, whatever. You can still rationalize it because it's on their own turf. The only thing unrealistic about SDF is their actual size.
>>
>>135043115
>guns are super magic boomsticks
>>
>>135043154
One wants to bone, one thinks they are married, one still loves him, one is mentally unstable but she's the one he wants to be with and she starts developing feelings eventually

The only woman 100% not interested is that one subordinate who is shocked to know the guy is a delta force navy seal commando tier one operator black/ spec ops elite

Half the show is spent on the girls while there is an entire realm of cool shit to explore. Instead of us getting screen time with long term surveillance drone operations or figuring out how to launch a satellite into orbit without building a giant launch site, we deal with shit like "Why won't Itami bone this death goddess?"

>>135043212
They fight a fucking dragon, magic is prevalent and the modern knowledge of our world is already augmenting magic, and there is tons of magical shit that permeates all over the place.

You are retarded and clearly have never played D&D with a good DM if you don't think politics also shows up all the time.
>>
so I recognize kuroneko and sayaka but who is the elf
>>
>>135042861
>and saying that I think they did it because they were afraid of the Japanese version of skeletons.

Goddamn go back to /v/ with your sjw boogeyman shit Jesus Christ
>>
>>135043227
You think the SDF doesn't have a few thousand soldiers?
>>
>>135042331
Stop acting like a hardass in an anime forum, nerd.
>>
I plan on giving it a watch but I've noticed that most of this show's fans are weeaboos are who are so far gone that they've started to adopt Japanese nationalism.
>>
>>135040942
Nah, i loved the show but there was already another anime with the exact same concept and a bunch more with the "stuck in a fantasy world".
>>
It's a shitty adaption of a crappy work.
>>
File: 1432783229646.png (122 KB, 538x538) Image search: [Google]
1432783229646.png
122 KB, 538x538
>>135043257
>playing D&D
>>
>>135040942
Because the characters are flat. You are either Mary Sue main character, a damsel in distress in need of a dick to suck or an evil rapist.

The plot is also as dumb as Elysium. You have a world where you have power players like wizards and demigods, and they instantly ally themselves with the "good guys", leaving as the only enemies Ancient Roman levels of soldiers. Not even western movies are this bad.
>>
>>135042814
>Because people find or make up little shit to be asshurt about
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/12/GJ216.html#comment-form
You should see the comments in there. It's like a whole nother story after reading the chapter.
>>
>>135043087
Yup.

Started with a great premise but so much retarded shit I couldn't keep watching.

The author made a world with magic, elves, dragons, and immortal battle lolis and who's in charge? Not the people with magic, elves, dragons, and immortal battle lolis? nope, regular people who can't fight their way out of a wet paper sack are in charge who throw endless numbers of incompetent soldiers at their enemy.

These people live with the very real threat of death by dragon every day and they can't fight against men in helicopters? Why didn't the dragons eat them all already? They obviously have the power to. Why isn't their kingdom ruled by wizards? They obviously can't fight against someone with magic if they can't even face a tiny army with guns. Why are elves living in tiny villages? They're centuries old ELVES who can learn more about combat in a few centuries of their near immortal lives than a human can in 5 lifetimes.

It could have been good, it could have been so good but the whole story became shit for JAPAN STRONG
>>
>>135043304

What's wrong with nationalism? Nationalism just means the opposite of globalism. That doesn't mean you can't support foreign countries being independent, nor does it mean you only support your own country.
>>
Cause it's basically a shitty harem with a bunch of gimmicks to try to make it different from the rest of the pseudo-haremshit

>otaku soldier man goes through the gate and discovers its full of pretty girls who all want to hang out with him!

wow so epic, real gamechanger, much creativity

Shit taste
>>
>>135043188
>never got any action
He had a wife you idiot. Tons more awesome than your dry dick.
>>
>>135040942
Honestly the only good thing about it was the setting. The characters felt so bland, because rarely did they find themselves in any struggles they couldn't resolve.
>>
>>135043385
>harem

This meme is long past being old.
>>
>>135043403

Are you saying its a meme because you think something being haremshit isn't valid criticism or are you saying it isn't a harem
>>
>>135043340
>power players like wizards
Wizards aren't immensely strong in their world.
>>
>>135043370
Maybe I chose the wrong term for it, I meant to describe people who are not Japanese but because of their love of anime/Japanese media as a whole they become infatuated with the idea of Japan/being Japanese and relentlessly hype the country up as some utopian ideal for the rest of the world to move towards.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with being nationalistic so long as it doesn't lead to delusion or xenophobia.
>>
>>135043356
To be fair, dragon attacks are likely uncommon enough to not have to be a major concern. You never see the dragon go after large populations or cities, since they have the capability of fighting back. It's picking off small towns and settlements which have no chance in hell of surviving the attack.

Depending on the in universe lore as to why dragon attacks are minimal, who knows. Almost 100% of dragons hibernate and rarely have to go out to eat. They sleep on their piles of gold and shit and just chill out. If someone wakes a dragon and keeps it awake, then it's cause for problems since the dragon has to eat all the time and thus, activity continues. Standard trope actually.

Mages and wizards could be easily shunned as outliers. It happened in Magi - The kingdom made magic users essentially second class citizens and then eventually slaves. Used them and kept them locked away.

But that is really the problem, GATE doesn't fully go into these details because, well, girls + Itami = QUALITY TELEVISION AMIRITE?
>>
>>135043388
Risa confirmed for literally the best girl.

Fuck Rory, really, Risa is the realest, best character the manga had and they ruined her in the anime adaptation
>>
File: makeanimegreatagain.png (355 KB, 600x332) Image search: [Google]
makeanimegreatagain.png
355 KB, 600x332
>>135041868
>I wish all Leftists would just fall over dead at the end if the year.
Maybe next year they'll all spontaneously combust, if we're lucky.
>>
>>135043412

It's been said by a few people already: it's not a harem. You're parroting the same false shit as others, and it isn't valid.

>>135043432
>xenophobia
>bad

Please leave.
>>
>>135043356
Open your eyes boys, this is a shitpost done bad.

>nope, regular people who can't fight their way out of a wet paper sack
Medieval fantasy staple
>These people live with the very real threat of death by dragon every day
Medieval fantasy staple
>JAPAN STRONG
meme

If you're not seeing it by now, this anon is complaining about typical medieval fantasy tropes in a medieval fantasy setting. It would be like me complaining about the power of heart and friendship in a shonen anime.

Thank you for your time, and watch out for shitposts!
>>
>>135043087
This
>>
>>135043227
The initial decimation of the enemy forces could have been a neat set up if any of the political intrigue managed to be fun to follow. Unfortunately not the case.

>You can still rationalize it because it's on their own turf
Lmao faggot their jobs literally entail being able to discretely wreck enemies on their home turf.
>>
>>135043356
>who throw endless numbers of incompetent soldiers at their enemy.
That's why they are in charge, because they outnumber any sort of possible opposition that much

>They obviously can't fight against someone with magic if they can't even face a tiny army with guns.
Magic isn't as great as you think.
>>
>>135043465
>It's been said by a few people already: it's not a harem.

And you are ignoring the others in the thread who clearly demonstrate it's a harem.
>>
>>135043436
>But that is really the problem, GATE doesn't fully go into these details because, well, girls + Itami = QUALITY TELEVISION AMIRITE?
It's why the novels exist. You can read it on Skythewood. Thanks for passing by.
>>
>>135043465
>>xenophobia
>>bad

My favorite part about this shtick on 4chan is the lack of self awareness that accompanies it.
>>
File: 1449805951927-0.png (12 KB, 450x173) Image search: [Google]
1449805951927-0.png
12 KB, 450x173
>>135043460

It must happen.
>>
>>135043494
Oh no valid criticisms why something is bad are not valid because something else in an entirely different media format is a different quality!

My entire concept of "good" and "bad" has been turned on it's head!!!
>>
>complaining about nationalism

why care about what other people think within their own minds when it doesn't actually affect you, that's retarded.

>muh realism
>muh tropes

if you don't like, don't read/watch.

>constant dragon attacks

it is clearly stated the dragon only comes out of hibernation briefly once every 50 years or so, and that dragons of the size they fight are exceptionally rare. if you're going to be critical about something so minuscule at least get it right.
>>
>>135043500
imagine thinking Trump will actually get the republican nomination
imagine thinking he won't throw a fit after losing it to likely Jeb and decides to run independent
imagine thinking this won't pull enough votes from repubs to all but guarantee that the next president will be a democrat

I know the "hey guys wouldn't it be sooooo cool to have a non 'PC' president for once? lets vote for Trump because he speaks his mind and doesnt care about SJWs xD" meme is fun and all but don't let it turn you into an idiot.
>>
>>135040942
>Japanese Self Defense Force is Stronger than United States
>Mutual Defense Treaty does not exist.
>GATE is automatically Japanese property and everything beyond it.
>>
>>135040942
Because it was amazing at the start and then went full pointless harem antics.

Is there even an animu that does demons wrecking humans right without interjecting harem nonsense though?

I'll take what I can get.

Also, elf girls.
>>
>>135043512
Oh shit I got owned better act sarcastic! :^)

Seriously you onion-skinned nigger, I just told you that the original material has those details lacking from the anime. Don't give me lip because you didn't know that. Take the L and move on, pussy ass nigger.
>>
>>135043534
>why care about what other people think within their own minds when it doesn't actually affect you, that's retarded.

It is entirely valid to not want to watch something because its thinly veiled propaganda.
>>
>>135043465
You do know that the show doesn't stop being a harem just because you say so right?

There are 2 things that are required for a show to be a harem

1. Are there at least 4 female primary characters of varying body and personality types and no more than 2 male primary characters? - Yes

2. Are 80 percent of the female primary characters romantically/sexually interested in the male MC? - Yes

Then the show is a harem show and you are delusional if you continue to act like it isn't.
>>
>>135043432

Xenophobia is just cultural homogeneity. There's not a single thing wrong with it. It's healthy.
>>
>>135043539
>imagine thinking he won't throw a fit after losing it to likely Jeb and decides to run independent
I don't even follow politics and I've been laughing about how bad jeb's been melting down. How deluded are you? Jeb killing himself is more likely at this point.
>>
>>135043554
Not him but the discussion is about why the anime isn't well received. The novels covering for the flaws in the show is entirely irrelevant.
>>
>>135043554
And the fact that something else has the details I actually want doesn't mean that thing is still shit.

Just because Sword Art Online was shit and then I watch Log Horizon and felt a million times better, doesn't make SAO any less shit.
>>
>>135043543
This is an example of an insecure American interpreting Japanese anime out of context.

God bless America and its falling standard of education.
>>
Given how much the author hates Koreans, I wonder how buttmad he realized his series was being animated by a bunch of Koreans.
>>
>>135043581
>And the fact that something else has the details I actually want doesn't mean that thing is still shit.

That thing isn't shit anymore---

Fuck I need to lay off the rye
>>
>>135043567
>he says on a board devoted to a form of media foreign to 80% of its population
>>
>>135043567
>phobia
>healthy
>>
>>135043539
Jeb! is within the margin of error for 0% support.
>>
>>135043539

Go be an asshurt somewhere else.

>>135043550
>harem

I'm pretty sure this is samefagging at this point.

>>135043566

There is only one girl interested in the MC. Watch the show again.
>>
>>135043612
>implying it isnt
Fear is a self preservation instinct, you retard. It's there for a reason.
>>
>>135043636
>Go be an asshurt somewhere else.
I see you've learned your debating skills from Trump himself
>>
>>135043579
The anime covered them both. Magicians are rare because it's genetic and magicians are usually living on their own, hermit-like. Second, dragons weren't supposed to attack because people had a calendar on when they would wake up. The old perv said it, it wasn't supposed to be awake for another 50 years. What he addressed there weren't flaws. I suggested the novels because I thought he wanted indepth shit.

>>135043581
Sure. But you're still a pussy for missing the details in the anime. Both your complaints they addressed in about 2 eps in the early ones.
>>
Thanks for warning me this was haremshit guys, the last time I was tricked into watching one of these it was OreImo

Never again.
>>
>>135043562
the author is legit /k/-tier autistic about the military (he even admitted to being denied enlistment three times)

just because he pushes the nationalism a bit doesn't mean it isn't entertaining.
>>
>>135043567
>cultural homgeneity
>not wrong
>healthy
Only if you're a narrow-minded motherfucker who's stuck in the archaic mindset of 'Us vs Them' who enjoys drawing imaginary dividing lines between themselves and others based on arbitrary geographic standards.

Grow up faggot.
>>
>>135043562
>thinly veiled propaganda.
Propaganda is if the SDF paid for this shit to be produced.

It wasn't, so you can stop spreading that meme now.
>>
>>135043668
prime /pol/ bait
>>
>>135043642
fear and phobia aren't the same thing, phobia is pretty much unhealthy fear by definition.

>A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.
>>
>>135043659
Quickly brushing over details to get it out of the way so rory can grind itami's crotch are not anyone's definition of "addressed"

I know one of the women in this show is your body pillow waifu but it's a fucking shit anime. Instead of focusing on the really cool operator things it focuses on the girls and at that point why not just make a show about the girls?
>>
>>135043668
>this level of bait
you're a thousand years too early, desu.
>>
>>135043609

Niggers aren't people. Nips are the only non-white Asian country to have Westernized and remain successful. Go circlejerk on Reddit, libtard.

>>135043612

I'm sorry anon lemme adjust that for you. Race realism.
>>
>Bitching about xenophobia citation concrete evidenced that shows the writers are misinformed racists
>Ur just butthirt :^)))))))

:^)
>>
>>135043590
>Koreans slaving away for Japanese interests
He'd probably be happy about it.
>>
File: angry liberal inside.gif (2 MB, 351x333) Image search: [Google]
angry liberal inside.gif
2 MB, 351x333
>>135043649
>>
>>135043466
>Medieval fantasy staple
>Medieval fantasy staple

As a huge fan of fantasy that's an outright lie. Elves, wherever they exist in 99% of fantasy own the shit out of humans.

Dragons, wherever they exist in 99% of fantasy have something which counters them, primarily wizards but heroes with magical weapons also count.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8vML5TPVE

It's the same problem Naruto had. If you make your enemies all powerful unbeatable gods then they'd better own the world, if they don't you'd better have equally powerful people to keep them in check.

If dragons exist then there'd better damn well be something to stop them and if something can stop a being powerful enough that the JSDF had a hard time even hurting one then where were they to stop the JSDF?

It was so badly written I can't get over it. Stop making excuses, series was shit and you know it.
>>
>>135043668
>it's current year
>>
Probably because the fandom is on the same level of cancer as OPM and SNK, but unlike those two they have some deluded sense of elitism too so it makes it even more unappealing for other fags to get into it.

Plus not everyone is into harems.
>>
File: animu.jpg (34 KB, 500x689) Image search: [Google]
animu.jpg
34 KB, 500x689
>>135043709
>implying you get to define what is and isnt an irrational fear
Just because you're okay with jumping off of a cliff doesn't mean everyone else is a retarded lemming too.
>>
>>135043715
It's not a fucking military documentary.

It's a medieval fantasy anime where the main guy happens to be a modern soldier. Of course some of the spotlight is going to be on the girls, since they're main characters. Storytelling 101.

>Quickly brushing over details to get it out of the way so rory can grind itami's crotch are not anyone's definition of "addressed"
Or maybe you have a short attention span. Infodumps are not entertaining at the very least, when entertainment is the point of fictional media.
>>
>Gate thread
>Libturd asshurt

Every fucking thread. I love this series.
>>
File: 1446526105190.gif (372 KB, 460x260) Image search: [Google]
1446526105190.gif
372 KB, 460x260
>>135043790
>harem
>if i say it enough it'll be true
>>
>>135043757
>Elves, wherever they exist in 99% of fantasy own the shit out of humans.
Elves often are on the decline while humans are the new hotness.

Also, dragons are often so strong you might want to bring an army to kill one of them. Or the strongest heroes in the realm.
>>
>>135043794
Oh, the well known phobia of jumping off cliffs, how could I forget it?
>>
>>135043757
As far as having a force that can stop a dragon / the JSDF, it's entirely possible their counter measure for a dragon might not work on the scale necessary to combat the JSDF forces. A helicopter has more maneuverability (unpredictable movements) and, in general, probably just as much armor as the dragon, and really they don't even have to get as close either. Imagine a C-130 Hercules just orbiting a city and hammering it from way up. They'd have no chance.

I would love a show that is the opposite of what we got. Instead of following the Japanese Military casually taking over this new realm and solving all problems, I'd love a show from the perspective of the nation that wants to not be overrun by an enormous threat.

What dark deals with wizards will they make? New weapons that are forged? What sorts of changes to warfare must be made to combat this new threat

Abandon all swords for normal troops and use bows, only enagage in ambushes instead of open field marches, keep the enemy away, recruit wizards as Anti air, etc etc. Heroes on a journey for legendary magical items.

It'd be a fucking sweet thing to watch.
>>
>>135043836
Hey you're free to disagree but from what I've seen its pretty standard harem set up with interesting stuff going on around it but that's just not my thing.
>>
>>135043757
>Elves, wherever they exist in 99% of fantasy own the shit out of humans.
LOL is that why series about Elves lording it over Humans and rebelling against them are common? They're also written as forest dwellers. You must have forgot...but this is just shittily crafted bait.

>If dragons exist then there'd better damn well be something to stop them
Yeah it's called hibernation. They treat dragons as forces of nature because they can't stop them at all. Elves, dark elves, cat people, humans, etc. It's natural to them. Apostles might be able to stop them but it's not their duty.

>It was so badly written I can't get over it. Stop making excuses, series was shit and you know it.
Suck my dick, you're just here to shitpost. You even lied about being a huge fan of fantasy.
>>
>>135043818
>they're main characters.

That is literally the fucking complain you fucking idiot. Get some reading comprehension.

The girls should not be here. This was a military force in a fantasy realm. Why the fuck is this Otaku that also turns out to be a speical forces amazing soldier hanging out with all these fucking women all of whom like him and want on his dick

Why are the political envoys trying to save their nation binging on yaoi.

There are shows that handle info dumps well and there is a way to build world lore without resorting to big breasted elves and slutty goth loli's.
>>
>>135043907
>from what I've seen

So you haven't watched it.
>>
>>135043892
>I'd love a show from the perspective of the nation that wants to not be overrun by an enormous threat.
There is anon. It's called EVERY FUCKING FANTASY SHOW EVER. OR RPG.
>>
>>135040942
After the first couple episodes it turned to shit and just kept getting worse.

The only thing that kept me watching was hope and Rori. By now I realize that the series is nothing but harem shit and Rori isn't nearly enough to carry the show. It was an interesting watch but I wouldn't care enough to read the manga or even wish for a S2. Give another series a chance at an anime, a better one.
>>
>>135043923
Elves typically revolt because they see humans as an invasive species, like rodents.

Elves have a long lifespan of sometimes thousands of years yet still only have family units of 1-3 children, and they have average sized communes in the forest.

Humans shit out kids constantly and live 1/10 as long, spread across the land, hollow out mountains and cut down forests to fuel their empires. The Elves see this not only as invasive, but destructive, because left to their own devices there won't be shit left for anyone.

It's also why the Elves just left Middle Earth in LOTR. They opted out of that shit.
>>
>>135043975
>every fantasy show ever has a nation of medieval humans, elves and/or dwarves trying to find a countermeasure to a C-130 Hercules that can rain death from 30,000 feet

I'm not aware. Can you recommend one?
>>
>>135043941
In a world where strong men are coupled with arrogance, Itami must have been a godsend. It's why this otaku SF has girls wagging their butts at him. It's not rocket science.

>Why are the political envoys trying to save their nation binging on yaoi.
That fucking reaching and you know it. Stop that shit.

So this show is not for you. Great. Go out and find another thread. The lore is currently being built for you when you watch the anime but you choose to ignore it because you get triggered by fucking anime girls.
>>
>>135043956
Watched the first few episodes and it was promising but just started to rapidly decay

But yeah I suppose its more believable that I just haven't seen it. This is exactly what I was talking about with regards to the fanbase, have fun wondering why more people don't like your "well written" show.
>>
>>135044002
Yes and humans clearly weren't invasive to the elves and dark elves in this series. No reason for war. If they were, then humans didn't dare invade the elves.
>>
>>135044047
>Go out and find another thread.

Thread asks why it's not AOTY, I have explained why it's shit and thus not AOTY, and then you get fannyflustered and ask me to leave.

Lots of people in here said it started out great and then went super down hill really fast.

Suck it noob, it sucks.
>>
>>135043892
>It'd be a fucking sweet thing to watch.
No, it wouldn't, since realistically they just can't bridge the gap of so many centuries of military advancement before being wiped out.
>>
>>135044055
>well written

Nice strawman, son. You're now just making up shit as you go and haven't even watched the whole thing.
>>
>harem
>harem
>harem
>harem
>harem

I literally just finished episode 12. It's not a harem.

I'll never listen to /v/... I mean /a/ again. Goddamn.
>>
>>135041116
And yet they'll unironically enjoy Tom Clancy novels, or films like Independence Day.
>>
>>135044088

When the alternative is OPM, you should expect people to shit on you.
>>
So where's the army and strongest heroes in the realm to fight the JSDF?

Or do they just let the dragons eat everyone until it gets bored when it wakes up?

The author created a system that is untenable. It is called a plot hole when something is not internally consistent and this one is so glaring it makes the entire series stupid in its execution.

We have immortal battle lolis but not one of them can go take back A SACRED HILL. Don't call it a sacred hill if it's not important enough to send a dozen demigod battle lolis to go take it back. Don't create creatures strong enough to take on the JSDF and nothing powerful enough to counter it. Don't create near immortal elves too weak to fight a dragon they knew was going to wake up in 50 years.

Stop defending this shit. Goddamn.
>>
>>135044033
>only said enormous threat
>moves goalposts and says that he meant something specific
Warhammer - game
Xenoblade Chronicles - game
Escaflowne - anime
Rayearth - anime

Off the top of my head
>>
>>135044096
>since realistically they just can't bridge the gap of so many centuries of military advancement before being wiped out.

Magic is a hell of a thing. Demons Souls had that boss fight where you used the Storm Ruler to slice the sky in half, really. Something like that could fuck up a helicopter.
>>
>>135044156
>So where's the army and strongest heroes in the realm to fight the JSDF?

Guess we'll find out next month, anon.
>>
>>135044088
>explained why it's shit
>it's all personal preference because he hates anime girls
>thinks it's a harem
It's not even a fucking harem. And people were disappointed because they were mangafags and thought the manga was the source material when the original source didn't even have that much blood and gore, only implied.

Again, suck my dick, nerd. Prove something sucks objectively, not because you hate moe animu grillz. It's a pussy complaint and you know it.
>>
>>135044161
Correcting someone who misquoted a post that went into great detail about how a modern military vs fantasy kingdom from the perspective of the fantasy side, is not moving goal posts.

It's the definition of a straw man, which you are still doing. It's intellectually bankrupt and you need to stop shitposting.
>>
>>135044232
>Prove something sucks objectively

Scroll up to where multiple posts outline how 4 out of 4 girls are interested in Itami and their relationship with him, to the point where one believes they were married and she's just okay with it.

If you want a moegirl anime, make a moegirl anime. Don't dress it up in dragons and elves if you aren't going to focus on the dragons and elves.
>>
>>135044293
>4 out of 4 girls are interested in Itami

Watch the show. I'm tired of your lies.

There is nothing wrong with moe.
>>
>>135044293
And how do I prove it's not just samefaggotry? Talking about the anime it's only been Rory who's interested in Itami.

How is it 4 when we also barely know Yao? Get out of this thread you fucking shitposter, I'd rather you return to your NIPPON STRONK posting ways. That way it's more entertaining than claiming shit that's not there.
>>
>>135044232
>>explained why it's shit
>>it's all personal preference

The fuck were you expecting? Are you an idiot?
>>
>>135044358
>Talking about the anime it's only been Rory who's interested in Itami.

>literally saying Risa isn't 100% about Itami
>admitting you haven't read ahead to see what happens in Harem Season 2 and how elf girl and blue mage want itamis dick
>>
>>135044237
It's not shitposting when almost every RPG and fantasy is about fighting against the biggest threat ever.

And I did post about modern military vs fantasy kingdom titles, did you just magically ignore that shit or what?
>>
If the author was going to wank Nippon stronk why not make GATE an alt. history where Imperial Japan was still stronk, and the GATE opened up so IJA instead of the fucking JSDF?
>>
>>135044156
>Or do they just let the dragons eat everyone until it gets bored when it wakes up?
Actually in a lot of books that have dragons as a near force of nature, that's exactly what people have to do.

>oh shit its a dragon, run!
>shouldnt we fight back?
>no, we'll still get eaten either way but if we piss it off it might torch the village out of spite
>>
>>135044402
Risa's not even part of the goddamn "harem". She's a side character who's never ever going to be one of the main characters.

>not read ahead
Nigger I know every spoiler from all the threads that came in. You're talking about the novels at this point, which means your complaints about the anime is retarded as shit. You got exposed and now you're trying to salvage your non-existent dignity.

Like I said earlier, take an L and stop posting.
>>
reading through this thread reminded me just how sensitive people get about their taste in anime, geez
>>
>>135044402
>read ahead
>animu

>risa
>romantically interested

She's the one who broke the fucking marriage up, you shitposting nigger. She wanted to "start over" meaning just be friends, like they've been since middle school. She just fucking uses him for money and food.

The only one interested in any way to the MC is Rory.
>>
>>135044520
you could also stop pretending you didn't care, else you wouldn't be posting this far into the thread. the poster counter didn't go up, that's how i know.
>>
>>135044561

>>135043579
was me. I stuck around because I had only seen the first episode and wanted to see a variety of opinions on the rest before deciding to jump back into it or not.
>>
>>135043285
>>135042958

Ok, maybe SJW was a dumb term to use, I don't really buy into the whole thing either.

All I'm saying is that there's been a huge pushback against sexualizing "underage" characters in anime by Japanese media and politicians lately, and when coupled with the fact that the GATE franchise was already controversial because of its nationalist overtones, they likely toned down Rory's lewds to avoid any "Right Wing Warmonger Anime Sexualizes Little Girls!" headlines.
>>
File: 1427502596305.jpg (18 KB, 214x311) Image search: [Google]
1427502596305.jpg
18 KB, 214x311
>>135044613
>wanting opinions from /a/ before finishing a show
>>
>>135044676
>All I'm saying is that there's been a huge pushback against sexualizing "underage" characters in anime by Japanese media and politicians lately

so why should they try to make her look more like a child if they are afraid of that?
If they'd be afraid of that, they'd have changed her design to look more mature, not more childlike.
>>
I just came here to laugh at the "deep" fags and libcucks that hate cute grills.

9/11
will watch second season.
>>
>>135044370
Am I an idiot for literally expecting non-personal preferences for explanations as to why this show can't be someone's AOTY? His complaints were literally "I didn't get what I expected".

It's like criticizing Naruto for not being historical fiction about ninjas.
Or K-On for not concentrating on the girls' practices for reaching Budokan.
Or Gate for not completely diving into /k/ territory because somehow, all the world building it has done is negated by 3 otherworld girls.
>>
>>135040942
When it aired it was teasing medieval vs modern with politics and violence but felt waay too SoL.

After marathoning through it a second time, I liked it more.

Then I read the manga and feel disappointed in the anime but that's fine because everything I was looking for in the story is there.
>>
>>135044613
>wanting tips from /a/
You're in the wrong place.

>>135044676
I guarantee you the nips aren't afraid of that. Talking games, Nintendo the family friendly company even put out a 13 year old wearing stripper outfits.
>>
>>135040942
> Dime-a-dozen waifushit animu noone will remember in a few years
>AOTY

Are you delusional?
>>
>>135044747
I don't really care about spoilers so that's not a concern.

This thread was pretty helpful although I'm seeing a general consensus that it gets worse over time. Still the concept is cool so I'll at least watch a few more episodes.
>>
>>135044877
>It's like criticizing Naruto for not being historical fiction about ninjas.
>Implying naruto was about ninjas at all
>>
>>135040942
I don't know anything about this show except that it has a sexy blonde elf girl.

An elf who, for some reason, isn't getting raped or chased by dark-skinned men in every picture she's in.
>>
>>135040942
Because Outbreak Company was superior.

Better waifus, better music, and Japan acted less retarded and earned more profit in Outbreak Company.
>>
>>135045096
>Japan acted less retarded and earned more profit in Outbreak Company.
>>
>>135045210
In Outbreak Company, Japan exchanges manga for mineral resources

Meanwhile, in Gate, Japan wastes millions of dollars, attacking fodder with missiles and bullets, especially the ones mounted on helicopters.

And none of those missiles and ammo are produced by Japan and were bought from Uncle Sam.

Japan has been in the red in Gate anime and have not even come close to breaking even yet.
>>
>>135044820
What I'm saying is that they fucked up.

I think they looked at the LN and manga and said "If we draw this quasi-loli character in these super-slutty panties, the media is gonna have a field day" and toned it down, as they did with many other aspects of Rory.

The problem is that those aspects are a lot of what helps establish that, despite appearances, she's a mature adult with a healthy sexual appetite, and so without them she seems much more like a typical loli character, even with scenes like the one in the courtroom. Part of what made her so compelling to me was that she didn't fall into the played-out "immortal loli" trope, but she's much closer to it in the anime.

They also make more of a point of highlighting how young she looks in the anime. When I read the manga, I interpreted her as being like a Kuroneko type - petite and cute, but post-pubescent, more like a high school freshman. The anime makes it seem like everybody perceives her as substantially younger than that. Maybe that was the intention in the manga as well, but it didn't come off like that to me.

What that means is that it comes off as much creepier when she DOES get sexualized in the anime, as in the Ryokan scene, and that's where I think the character changes were counterproductive.
>>
File: 1393933020311.jpg (121 KB, 706x518) Image search: [Google]
1393933020311.jpg
121 KB, 706x518
>>135045096
strategic interests > profts
>>
>>135045480
What strategy? Japan has a limited amount of missiles and ammo. If they don't get profit enough fast, they are in danger of lowering their defensive capabilities on Earth by using up their weapon supplies in the Gate planet.

If America decided to suspend selling missiles to Japan and Japan ends up running out of missiles, they would start getting fucked hard in the Gate planet because bullets aren't gonna be good enough.
>>
>>135045348
>In Outbreak Company, Japan exchanges manga for mineral resources
That's the plan, but they haven't achieved it yet (counting anime only)

>Meanwhile, in Gate, Japan wastes millions of dollars, attacking fodder with missiles and bullets
What else are they going to do with them?
Wait until they rot?
>>
>>135040942
So 2nd cour when?
>>
>>135045695
next month
>>
Because it was nothing. Nothing fucking happens.

Great premise, maybe a Season 2 where shit actually happens other than Slice of Life garbage would help out.
>>
>>135045703
YES.
>>
>>135045695
8th of january I believe.
>>
I want to fuck Rory.
>>
>>135045823
Even better.
>>
>>135045869
Don't we all?

Hell, wasn't this basically the whole point of the show? It was for me, at least...
>>
>>135045096
>Japan acted less retarded
Japan took advantage of a preteen ruler's tendencies to take over their culture. That's really retarded, even more than what Gate Japan did to the Empire.
>>
>>135046834
You don't even see libtard Americans arguing this point spamming nippon stronk because they're not in the story getting beat.
>>
If pre-anime threads were bad enough I don't even know what to say about these.
>>
It was really weird, it used to be one of the top 3 most popular anime.of it's season then everyone suddenly just forget about it around episode 10. I've rarely seen an anime being forgotten so fast.
Not a huge loose though, the thread were shit because the mangafag complaining the about the anime adaptation not being like the manga were insufferable. "hurr my secondary material is better than yours". Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>135047197
because after people realized there were only 13 episodes and nothing fucking happens, everyone tried to forget that their time was wasted.
>>
File: 54098000_p0.jpg (234 KB, 1500x1061) Image search: [Google]
54098000_p0.jpg
234 KB, 1500x1061
Finally a Gate thread.
>>
When is the second season supposed to start? I was thinking of dumping the manga the days leading up to that.
>>
Has anyone been making EPUBs of the translated volumes? Fuck PDFs.
>>
>>135049280
No one? Guess Gate really is dead.
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.