[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Ghibli Movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: studio_ghibli.jpg (68 KB, 1829x1028) Image search: [Google]
studio_ghibli.jpg
68 KB, 1829x1028
With European directors.

thoughts?

http://rebooti.com/2015/12/studio-ghibli-unveils-new-animated-film-set-for-release-in-japan-next-year/
>>
>>134912850

Whisper of the Heart a best.
>>
>>134912850
>Ghibli Movie
>European directors.
So /a/ purist, is this still considered anime or cartoon?
>>
Frenchfags are pretty good at animating shit.

>>134912900
Lots of Frenchfags work at Satelight. Granted, not as directors.
>>
>>134912900
Depends on the target audience I suppose
>>
>>134912900
>or
>>
Most non-Miyazaki Ghibli films are shit
>>
>>134913755
I prefer Takahata desu
>>
>>134913755
Only Yesterday, WotH and Kaguya are as good as anything Miyazaki did
>>
>>134913755
>The best Ghibli films aren't even Miyazaki
>>
>>134914068
I also like Ocean Waves but I feel like that's an underrated pick
>>
>>134913755
That's the most niwaka thing I've read in a long time.
Or maybe you'repart of the Academy Awards jury.
>>
>>134914223
he probably calls himself an otaku
>>
Is

Is this anime?
>>
I wouldn't consider this a ghibli film, per say. They're merely helping with the movie. If anything it'll help them stay afloat until they figure out what to do next.

>>134913755

The only legitimately bad theatrical ghibli film is Earthsea.
>>
>>134914607
>I wouldn't consider this a ghibli film

well, nobody cares what you think. It's a film made by studio ghibli, therefore a ghibli film.
>>
>>134914740
>well, nobody cares what you think

yet you felt the need to respond

How can this be a ghibli film?

They aren't writing it. They aren't directing it. Takahata is just looking at the storyboards and ghibli may be helping with some of the animation. They are merely assisting. Probably for cash for another flick.
>>
>>134914916
The whole thing looks very Ghibli + artsy to be honest just look at the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z-Sc5SGzJg

and Dudok de Wit is someone that Takahata and Miyazaki have been interested in working with for a very long time, they have been quoted as saying previously that if they were to work with anyone outside the company he would be top of their list ever since they saw his award winning short Father and Daughter. This isn't news by the way it has been known for at least a year that Ghibli have been working on this as part of the production team.
>>
>>134914916
it's common practice to bring in directors from outside. If they were nips you would have never said anything about it. They need a new director anyways, would that guy's first movie be a ghibli movie? Or how long does he have to work for them? Sign a contract?

A ghibli movie is a movie produced by studio ghibli. Just like Dandy is a Bones series, even though Watanabe didn't direct anything else for Bones.
>>
I don't get it.
Are they just giving their name to an European production and helping a little bit, or is this a legit Ghibli production helmed by foreign staff?
>>
>>134915254
They got funds and director from Europe. It's a Ghibli production.
>>
>>134914916
>>134915159
But yes that said, I wouldn't say it was a "ghibli" film either as much as a film Ghibli is participating in creating.But if you think it is "for cash" you really need to re-evalaute what you are looking at. The director of this film is an indepedent animator who has previously only made silent shorts of very artsy nature and has also I believe been quoted before as saying he didn't want to make a feature film unless it was with Ghibli which he never thought would happen.

Try watching some of his stuff
https://vimeo.com/89589981
This one got an Oscar.

>>134915181
It isn't produced by Studio Ghibli, it is produced by two European companies with Ghibli providing production assistance.

>>134915254
The first.
>>
>>134915312
>It isn't produced by Studio Ghibli, it is produced by two European companies with Ghibli providing production assistance.

[citation needed]
>>
>>134914223
>Or maybe you'repart of the Academy Awards jury.
Do you think he'll give Kizu the nomination for best animation this year?
>>
>>134915400
>The resulting work is a co-production between Studio Ghibli – the only European work the company has ever supported, alongside Wild Bunch, Why Not Productions, Belvision, Arte France Cinema and CN4 Productions. Paris-based Prima Linea is overseeing the animation.

Ghibli are not animating the thing, the french are. Looks like there are more European companies involved in funding (production) though than I thought.
>>
Well, it will probably be better than anything Goro puts out.
>>
>>134915400
They do seem to be rather central in getting the project going and be very much involved in the high level creative process though.

>Maraval revealed that Wild Bunch first started working on the project seven years ago after Japanese animation maestro and Studio Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki asked for help to track down the artist.

>“Around the time of Ponyo I visited Studio Ghibli,” recounts Maraval, referring to Miyazaki’s 2008 film. “Miyazaki showed me Father and Daughter and said ‘I want you to find the director for me’. I said that would be complicated. He replied, ‘If one day Studio Ghibli decides to produce an animator from outside the studio, it will be him’.

>“On my return, the head of acquisitions tracked down Dudok de Wit and we visited him in London to ask if he would be interested in doing a feature. He said he wasn’t but we added: ‘Too bad, Studio Ghibli wants to produce it’, and his eyes lit-up.”
>>
>>134913755
This
>>
>>134915400
I assume even though they are not actually animating it the film will be marketed on the Studio Ghibli name alongside from "academy award winning director" though. I just want to make a distinction here because I feel some people might be confusing terminology, production does not mean actually making animations. Production can be anything really from funding, giving input and creative advice, day to day management of the projects budget. Usually Ghibli both produces and animates their films because their model is to reinvest all their profits from previous films into making the new one. That isn't the case with this one it would seem. They are just doing some part of production, which based on interview mainly seems rooted in creative input and consultation, rather than any of the animation production which is being done by that French studio Prima Linea.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.