[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do you like your translator notes? Do you prefer anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
So how do you like your translator notes? Do you prefer anime not to have them at all even if it means you miss certain jokes? Or do you like when they pop up to explain untranslatable puns?

Mumen Rider vs. Licenseless Rider is the obvious example. Do you prefer him as Mumen Rider with a TN? Or Licenseless Rider, letting people miss the pun? Or somewhere in betwee?
>>
>>134884275
>So how do you like your translator notes?
I don't

>Do you prefer anime not to have them at all even if it means you miss certain jokes?
Better than having the joke explained

>Do you prefer him as Mumen Rider with a TN? Or Licenseless Rider, letting people miss the pun? Or somewhere in betwee?
Unlicensed Rider; Common Rider if you want the pun.
>>
>>134884275
I like when they teach you something about the culture or language.

In the case of your OP, is keikaku really untranslatable to plan?

A word I think is untranslatable is baka. Baka should appears as baka in subtitles, but obv we don't need a million notes explaining what it means.
>>
File: wmilqd.png (481 KB, 700x395) Image search: [Google]
wmilqd.png
481 KB, 700x395
>>134885503
No, OP is just a joke pic, I'm pretty sure. Even things like pic related and Mumen/licenseless rider aren't quite right since the joke still works on at least one level if you leave it completely translated or completely untranslated.

Things where the average viewer wouldn't even know there was supposed to be a joke without a note.
>>
It was annoying how I didn't get licenseless rider was a Kamen rider joke until the anime, but there was no TN in the anime either. For what reason are people so against translation notes or is it just the cartel astroturfing their localization agenda that they're strangely insistent of?
>>
>>134886039
It's the anime fan gatekeeper mentality, not even just /a/. If you're not smart enough to get it on your own, explaining it to you ruins the fandom for some reason.
>>
File: rawr.jpg (43 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
rawr.jpg
43 KB, 300x298
SAY NO TO WEABOOS, TRANSLATE STUFF PROPERLY
>>
>>134884275
What's the pun with Mumen Rider?

Also, who finds puns funny enough to laugh about them?
>>
File: DD2.png (2 MB, 1281x1065) Image search: [Google]
DD2.png
2 MB, 1281x1065
>>134884275
A joke that has to be explained loses it's joke during the explanation.

l2comedy
>>
>>134887671
But isn't it important to know that there was a joke there that you just didn't get? Otherwise you'll just think it was poor writing and you might miss some characterization or foreshadowing.
>>
>>
If the joke is obscure or has some kind of insane kanji pun that's impossible to translate or replace with an english equivalent, it's fine.
But there's a limit.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.