[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: Ninhongo.jpg (93 KB, 1845x314) Image search: [Google]
Ninhongo.jpg
93 KB, 1845x314
Which is it?
>>
SOUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
Sucker!
>>
>orignal
>>
>>134753093
It clearly has a question mark in the moonrunes.
>>
"That so?" sounds more arrogant so I like it.
>>
>>134753093

Who the fuck translates sou ka into "okay"?
>>
File: 1417748938779.png (152 KB, 412x356) Image search: [Google]
1417748938779.png
152 KB, 412x356
Superior translation.
>>
>>134753741

seems too clever for saitama. facts aren't really his style.
>>
>>134753670
Someone who actually knows Japanese would.

It's a dismissive "I don't care about what you're talking about" sort of thing. "OK" is a perfect translation.
>>
>>134753833
That's an oversimplification. I would very, very rarely translate it as "okay" there's almost always a better transliteration.
>>
>>134753833

ka implies question. it's an imperfect translation that loses meaning. "That so?" is literal.
>>
>>134753874
Okay?
>>
>>134753093
see

>>134753131

The image is correct
>>
>>134753901

Better but still loses meaning. Saying "That so?" is mocking boros more than "okay?" does because he's questioning the guy's expertise on himself.

"You sure about that"? would also be better than "okay?" but wouldn't be as concise or fit in the word bubble.
>>
Ok is a perfect translation even though it doesnt carry the same meaning as the original. This is because jap language is a fucking piece of shit always depending on context and interpretation, whereas superior aryan language can actually EXPRESS these rhetoric nuances properly, they dont just use the same moonrunes for 500 different situation.

Fuck nips and their inferior fucking language, dumbass degenerates cant even comprehend sarcasm and such, their highest form of "wit" are shitty puns with their shitty runes, goddamn savages.
>>
>>134754067
>english superior

The statement "A pretty little girls school" has 16 different interpretations depending on punctuation.

Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>134754143
wait really? That's awesome if it's true.
>>
>>134754143
Go ahead and show me those 16 interpretations
>>
>>134753093
>moonrunes suck so much you cant be sure if a word means ''OK'' or fucking ''That so?''

how do they communicate?
>>
You know they're just intent on keeping it that way because they think it's funnier. Dank memes are more important than manga like 99% of the time honestly.
>>
>>134754143
yeah if you're fucking retarded
>>
>>134754198
Because it turns out that the simplified version of their language that you've invented having no actual knowledge of how it works is very different to how japanese truly operates.
>>
>>134754231
I think you're the retarded one here buddy. The actual meaning of that sentence will change depending on the punctuation. The intelligence of the reader at that point has nothing to do with the interpretation.
>>
I believe that "Okay" is abetter translation, because of its simplicity and short structure

"That so" may be more correct from the words itself, but "okay" fits better, simply because it transfers the originally intended funnyness to it
>>
>>134754265
still waiting on those 16 interpretations, buddy
>>
>>134754198
They can't, that's why they use three English words per sentence and kanji is dying.
>>
>>134754194
>>134754190

Sorry, 14, it's been a few years since i first saw it.

1. (a (pretty (little (girls school))))
2. (a (pretty ((little girls) school)))
3. (a (pretty (little girls)) school)))
4. (a ((pretty little) girls) school)))
5. (a ((pretty little) (girls school)))
6. ((a (pretty (little girls))) school)
7. ((a ((pretty little) girls)) school)
8. (((a (pretty little)) girls) school)
9. ((((a pretty) little) girls) school)
10. (((a pretty) (little girls)) school)
11. ((a (pretty little)) (girls school))
12. (((a pretty) little) (girls school))
13. ((a pretty) (little (girls school)))
14. ((a pretty) ((little girls) school))
>>
>>134754293
>>134754265
>>134754231
Not him but i've seen this before.

A pretty (little (girls' school)) = An attractive small school for girls
A pretty ((little girls') school) = An attractive school for small girls
A (pretty little) (girls' school) = A fairly small school for girls
A ((pretty little) girls') school = A school for fairly small girls
A (pretty (little girls')) school = A school for attractive small girls

etc etc.
>>
The real problem is the omission of the question mark. It's not like that's some magical Japanese punctuation that only exists on some special keyboards, right? You could argue over the words and how they translate the specific connotations all day long and everyone will only have grown dumber for it. That question mark should definitely be in both the original and the translation though.
>>
>>134754293
I'm not even that guy. Here's a few though,
>A pretty, little girls school
The school is pretty, and is for little girls
>A pretty little girls school
A pretty little school for girls
>A pretty little girl's school
A school owned by a pretty little girl
Could also mean that the school itself is little etc etc Hopefully the original poster can add some more
>>
>>134754396
oh well there
>>134754346
>>134754317
you go. Thanks anon
>>
>>134754143
And each of those interpretations can be written in ways to accentuate the meaning. This isn't the case with Japanese
>>
>>134754194
Not the same anon, but I think I can pull off a few

>A pretty little girls school.(A girls school that is pretty little)
>A pretty little-girls school(A pretty school for little girls)
>A pretty, little girls school(A girls school that is pretty and little)
>A pretty, little girl's school(The school of a pretty, little girl)
>A pretty little girl's school(The school of a girl who is pretty little)

I think you can get the picture?
>>
File: smug anime grill number 827.jpg (232 KB, 1641x1478) Image search: [Google]
smug anime grill number 827.jpg
232 KB, 1641x1478
>>134753187
Yes, original. What do you mean by this post?
>>134754293
lol BTFO
>>
>>134754465
You're so fucking slow I have a hard time believing you didn't see the other posts.
>>
>implying translations aren't their own work of art meant to be taken seriously independent of any "original"
>>
>>134754464

you would have to use abnormal tricks like bolding and italicizing or making it into polynomials like some have. It's not something the language can do easily. Speaking it you can inflect it, but there are limited options to writing inflections in english.

Either way, Lojban is superior.
>>
>>134754464
>implying things cant be written in ways to accentuate the meaning in Japanese.
Okay, so you don't speak Japanese then. Why are you even bothering with your argument then if it's completely unfounded?
>>
>>134754480

i spelled original wrong in my image. it bothers me a little.
>>
>>134754547
Oh my bad I didn't even see that.
>>
>>134753093
>>134753234
>>134753670
"That so?" is overly literal is a fragment even though "そうか" is a complete sentence. This is a mistake you see amateur scanlators making all of that time: translating legitimate and complete Japanese sentences to really horrid English fragments. Doing this makes it seem like the original was particularly terse or grammatically incorrect, which it was't.

"OK" is still a weird translation though. Something like "Is that right?" or "I see?" would be better.
>>
>>134753093
Tbh "OK" was funnier in that context. I forgive the translator.
>>
>>134754572
Literal is how translations should be, Japanese is an exquisite language and translators should try to keep the most nuance they can.
>>
>>134754597
Must be a generational difference. "That so?" sounds like something a wise-ass cowboy would say while "ok." just sounds dismissal and noncommittal.
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 420x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 420x360
>>134754597
There's nothing to forgive when he's right.
>>
>>134754621
You would rather have someone translate "やった。" as "Did it." instead of "I did it."?

The issue here is "that so" is a dismissive sentence fragment while "そうか" is a common, complete, and proper sentence, "is that so" would be an acceptable translation.
>>
>>134754732
Isn't that what we all want? I'm sure of it, I'm sure.
>>
>>134754732

Dismissive sentence fragments are part of saitama's personality as much as goku's.

"That so?" is just what he'd say.
>>
>>134754732
>You would rather have someone translate "やった。" as "Did it." instead of "I did it."?

They should translate it as "Done", as it preserves the subject and context just like the original.
>>
>>134754773
>american goku talks like a normal hero
>not like an idiot bumpkin manchild psychopath
>totally destroys his character

This is what we're talking about.
>>
>>134753093
Problem here is that while "Is that so?" is a literal translation of the parts of speech, its use in English vernacular is different than "souka"'s in Japanese.
>>
>>134754896
Oh yeah that's an objective thing alright.

"That so" is just the natural tendency of any language to trim off extraneous words. Since saitama is kinda dumb, it makes sense that he'd simplify it to the extreme.
>>
>>134754773
He talks casually but not in straight up fragments that sound like they were written by an illiterate person like "that so."

"That so" does not have anywhere near the same kind of a connotation as "そうか" which is one of the most common and normal things to say in Japanese to acknowledge that you're listening.

The joke is that even though he's fighting this serious being he's just saying the most ordinary things. "I see," "Got it," or "Uh huh?" would have been better then "that so" which is a forced translation based on the sound of そう.
>>
>>134754732
Is that so would make it seem like Saitama was intrigued by Boro's power up, when its pretty clear he isn't. In English someone would say something along the lines of yup, sure, or uh huh in this situation, which what they were trying to do with OK as the translation.
>>
>>134755072
How old are you? I'm 30 and "That so?" is something i've heard people say my whole life.
>>
>>134753093
Should have translated it as "that a fact?"
>>
>>134755198
facts aren't important to saitama. it wouldn't be how he'd phrase it.
>>
>>134755231
Let me meme in peace please.
>>
>>134754795
What subject and context? I certainly didn't give any. Of course based on context やった could mean any number of things, the point is that one verb is a perfectly legitimate sentence in Japanese that could mean any number of things. When translating to English you must add in the context so the English doesn't sound completely ridiculous.

>>134755150
I didn't say I've never heard someone say "that so," I said that "that so" has a very different connotation than "そうか" which is basically a common, ordinary japanese sentence to indicate the listener is paying attention, >>134755117 knows whats up.
>>
>>134755262
>which is basically a common, ordinary japanese sentence to indicate the listener is paying attention

isn't that more often than not "hai?"

a dismissive "ok" translates to a dismissive "hai" far better imo.
>>
>>134755150
I'm convinced that at least half of the people translating manga into English are not native English speakers, if not more. I always see these weird arguments about usage that seem like they're based on what look like textbook lessons, or maybe self-teaching from some other set of rules, rather than being based on actual usage of the English language. The thing about English and rules though, is that English is fucking stupid, as a rule, so people should really pay more attention to how things sound, and less attention to things like worrying about if it's a sentence fragment. People use sentence fragments in common speech all the time.
>>
>>134755241
Don't expect the average OPM viewer to know where that is from.
>>
>>134755376
There are many ways and its impolite to just repeat the same thing over and over again because it seems like you're not paying attention. If you had to use formal speech you would probably use "hai", "ee", and "sou desu ka"
>>
>>134755376
Nope. It, as always, depends on the tone.

Hai can be as dismissive as souka.
>>
>>134754465
Oh, so that is why proper punctuation is important
>>
>>134754572
Maybe "Right." would be better?
Alternatively "...right."
>>
>>134753960
"Okay?" Has a more mocking tone.

You translationfags are the worst sometimes.
>>
>>134755769
Sometimes, but you nontranslationfags rely on our autism.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.