[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how come no recent anime has tried to ape the art style of anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: macross-dyrl-sdf-1.png (343 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
macross-dyrl-sdf-1.png
343 KB, 640x360
how come no recent anime has tried to ape the art style of anime from the 80s and 90s?

there are lots of bands that try and keep dead genres alive, and there are even quite a few who insist on recording with analog equipment. there are obviously tons of pixel based games that try and look like they were made in the early 90s, and people still make black and white and silent films

but I can't think of an anime that's done the same
>>
requires things that modern animators don't have, like budgets, shading, color theory, or talent
>>
Anime is made by anime studios. It takes a lot of money to retrain your sweat shop to use a different style.
>>
We need a renaissance period.
>>
80% of pixel based games are done that way cause its cheaper or using style as an excuse for laziness.

For anime its the opposite, in that doing something the old fashion way takes much more work and tools that aren't readily or cheaply available.

No studio is gonna get the funding to sink money into a vanity retro project when it will cost multiples more, and anime isn't that type of thing to be done by one person with a passion outside of college art thesis projects.
>>
>>134732530
Because for most of your examples, it's relatively easy and cheap to just use an older style, technique or technology. Enough so that even if there's not a huge actual market for it, it's still generally possible to do it profitably. But anime? It'll still cost as much as modern methods, possibly more (no CG shortcutting), and you need to convince all the risk-averse stakeholders that there's going to be enough people willing to pay just as much for something that looks old.

So the most you'll usually see is the occasional gag using an older style briefly, or at best something like the Koimonogatari OP.
>>
I'd kill to see another space opera type anime in the older style
guess i'm nostalgia fag
>>
>>134732530
G-Reco
>>
Didn't Dandy try and do things the oldschool way whenever possible?
>>
80s is all low quality anime. No CGI = shit.
>>
>>134733554
No.

Did you even watch it?
>>
Otaking will save anime.
>>
File: 657854865538475.jpg (432 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
657854865538475.jpg
432 KB, 1920x1080
I saw something that reminded me of the 80s just today.
>>
>>134733755
>muh shading
>>
>>134732735
I know this is a unpopular opinion but I think if CG gets a little better we could see artists try for the really busy scenes we used to get back in that era.
Knights of Sidonia and Fafner had the right Ideas but even that still needs improvement before they can match the quality of anything near the level of what OP posted

>>134733450
despite being shitposted g-reco had some great animation but the era it was evoking was the 70s-early 80s campy robot shows
>>
>>134732627
Exactly. Best response.

>>134733450
Good example. It's too bad the characters, script, and plot all sucked ass through a straw.

>>134733643
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgYQqD1Nbqw

Five Star Stories disagrees with you.
>>
>>134732530
because anime had an audience outside of shit eating otaku that only want to jerk off to anime girls back in the 80's, they could afford to have things like decent animation and a good soundtrack

>>134733643
consider suicide normie
>>
File: nonoriri.webm (536 KB, 1436x1080) Image search: [Google]
nonoriri.webm
536 KB, 1436x1080
I dream about the day when we return to the 90s look anime. It's fucking beautiful.

It's a shame that since it costs more and takes longer to produce it will most likely never happen. Current state of the industry prioritizes quantity over quality.
>>
>>134733643
watch the Area 88 OVA and then the anime, tell me the quality doesn't go to shit with the CGI
>>
>>134734935
>No ass/hips
>Floppy tits, not even big enough to match said floppiness

Nah mane.
>>
>>134734635
>G-Reco
>Bad
Don't start this
>>
>>134732530
Because there are roughly a million times more bands and game devs than there are anime studios, and most of them produce stuff for much cheaper than a studio produces an anime. You'd have a better point asking about manga, but in that case very few people really want to ape old art, because it was mostly worse.
>>
>>134734935
Those were good times.
>>
File: 1448861219557.jpg (316 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1448861219557.jpg
316 KB, 900x1350
>>134733865
>two battleships welded together with a city in the middle and back
>>
>>134732530
There is one airing right now. Watch Ushio to Tora, it is exactly what you are looking for.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.