[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dubs vs Subs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: where is the love.jpg (5 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
where is the love.jpg
5 KB, 160x160
Why all the fighting? We all love the same thing?
>>
>>134682822
It's just how /a/ communicates we are all just a bunch of conflicting voices inside one body~
https://youtu.be/Ip8kXnVXanc
>>
>>134683013
Buddy, that was insanely educational, answered my question and then some, cheers.
>>
because dubs are cancer and are never done well
there is one exception and one exception only
that exception is cromartie
>>
I actually liked that song a lot.
>>
Because even the anime dubfags point to as examples of good dubs sound like shit. Yes,even bebop.
>>
>>134683340
Mah Nigga's right about Cromartie having the perfect dubbed voices, don't agree with the whole anti dubs thing however, each to there own
>>
>>134683384
Well, re-watching that video made me realize how ridiculous it was, though the final part where everybody are looking at the sky is well done. What were they seeing?
>>
>>134682822
theyr music had a message once
>>
>>134682822
Nobody is fighting. The argument was concluded a long time ago. Original audio with subtitles won.
>>
>>134682822
Most of us hear the subs first, and often, dubs just sound wrong, not even just the acting, it just does not click. Plus they often sound like 40 years olds trying to unconvincingly pass themselves off as 14 year olds.

The same is true of more casual fans, they often see series first on toonami or whatever with dubs, and to them the english voices are 'right' and the japanese ones sound like screechy chickens
>>
File: Sad_Frog.png (2 MB, 899x1280) Image search: [Google]
Sad_Frog.png
2 MB, 899x1280
>>134686816
>japanese ones sound like screechy chickens

Working on a farm, I can tell you that cutting the throats of chickens is a terrible noise if you are not practiced.

Bunny screams are even worse.

The Japanese can only partially emulate it.
>>
In my view dubs are only really defensible because it makes it easier to pay attention to details of the animation.

I know here in /a/ we're all genius multitaskers who can read the subbed dialogue, the subbed insert song, and animation details at 3x speed while also grinding flashcards and reading manga at the same time, but some of us aren't superhuman.
>>
>>134683013
>LOOK AT ME
>BEING A BAKA
kek
>>
File: 1218.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1218.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
All dub actors are fucking horrendous, It doesn't sound right at all compared to glorious Japan version.

All the Funi shit made me hate them even more.
>>
>>134689215
Baccano had a superior dub.

That is the only example I have, though.
>>
nice dubs
>>
Depends on the series
>>
>>134682822
because you have SHIT TASTE and you're LITERALLY a KEK
>>
Thoughts on Space Dandy English Dub?
>>
> watch Ninja Slayer dub
> it's alright aside from koki being shit
> occupy and trump reference

ok that was bad but it's somewhat appropriate for the scene

> rickroll reference

fucking funi
>>
>>134682822
Japanese VA have more variety in voice actors, and the possibility of new and popular voice actors, for the most part the people who dub anime voices, also dub cartoon voices, and game voices, so you will often hear the same person multiple times. Also the dub actors are the same people that were dubbing in the early 2000s
>>
File: 1354693152193.jpg (106 KB, 724x844) Image search: [Google]
1354693152193.jpg
106 KB, 724x844
>>134692124
What is a kek?
>>
>>134693649
A miserable pile of memes.
>>
>>134693691
Well I don't like that shit.
>>
>>134683340
>not Ghost Stories
>>
>>134693180
If any show deserves dank memes in it's dub its fucking Ninja Slayer.
>>
>>134692285
Good
>>
Nobody has mentioned Golden Boy. English dub is super kek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmBSfci0yE
>>
My favorite dubs:

1. Please! Duology

2. Mahoromatic

3. DearS

4. Kannazuki no Miko

5. Tsukihime anime (meme not allowed)
>>
>>134694743

rickroll's a damp meme though
>>
>>134697470
about 7 or so years ago, sure.
>>
>>134682822
we dont
>>
The following dubs are fine:

1. Ghost Stories
2. GiTS:SAC
3. Baccano
4. Haruhi
5. Cowboy Bebop

Ghost Stories is literally the best case scenario dub, it's the only time I'd ever say that the dub is BETTER than the original, but then it's a special case obviously.

Are the others better than the original? No. Are they worse that the original? No. These things are subjective. Are there some bad performances in these dubs? Yes, but they're on this list because most of the important performances are good. Additionally, I think that a huge point of blind naivete on /a/ is the taken-for-granted notion that all performances are great in the original Japanese. If you are one of those guys who say that dub performances are all awful, but you almost never critique the original Japanese performances, then the lesson is that you just can't tell the difference when it's in a language you don't know.

There ARE valid reasons to prefer dubs over subs (Haruhi: Comedy generally works better in the viewer's primary language, GiTS: Some eps are extremely dialog dense and you may not be able to keep up with the subs, and you DEFINITELY won't be watching the frame while this is going on, Cowboy Bebop: I'd argue that the director might have entertained the notion of doing the original in English if he had the opportunity, it's such a love-letter to Western cinema, American especially. It's one of the least Japanese anime there are). And of course, there are valid reasons to prefer subs (you're getting the intended experience, nip performances ARE usually better, less likely that stuff was changed in adaptation in a bad way [though you're still at the whim of fansubs in most cases]).

The point is that while 99.9% of the time subs are the right answer, it should still be a case-by-case basis.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.