[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>so tonight I will sing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: count.jpg (75 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
count.jpg
75 KB, 640x360
>so tonight I will sing
>>
>>134633133

Most anti climatic death(count) and ending ever

Book>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anime
>>
>>134633198
Tell me more!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (5 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
5 KB, 480x360
>>134633133
The only things I remember about this show are the opening, that weird layering effect they went with, and that there were mechs outta fuckin nowhere in one episode.

How do you make something so forgettable when drawing inspiration from such a lasting classic?
>>
>>134635366
>gankutsuou
>forgettable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHNXOveGHY
>>
>>134635366
Lie, you remember the trap too

>>134635479
It's just an epik troll, anon.
>>
>>134633198
The ending of the show is more thematically consistent than the ending of the book, which is more uplifting than it has any right to be. In general, the show dwells a lot more on the repercussions of Dantes' obsession with revenge, both on himself, those around him and the completely innocent. Partly because of that, the show is definitely less of a somewhat moralistic extended revenge fantasy.
>>
>>134636059
I agree.
>>
>>134636338
>tfw my name is Dante
>>
>>134633133
>read this
>realise 'directly in your ear' kind of matches the syllables of the next line
Oh.
>>
>>134638729
What?
>>
good ED
>>
>>134639643
One of the best.
>>
File: 1314352621668.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1314352621668.jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
It's a sad state of affairs no studio nowadays would take on such an ambitious project anymore.

The mid-00's really were the golden age of anime, it's only been going downhill ever since.
>>
File: 1351730172597.jpg (86 KB, 460x692) Image search: [Google]
1351730172597.jpg
86 KB, 460x692
>>134633133
A song to all my frieeeennndsssss
also to thoooseee we won't be seeeing agaainn
to those I knew, and those I still adore
and I want to see once moreee
I JUST PRAY THAT YOU WILL LOVE MEEE
AND TRUST MEEEEE
LAUGH WITH MEE AND CRY WITH MEEE
SPEND THOSE SILENT TIMES WITH MEEEE
LOVE ME EVEEERR MOREEEEEEEEEEE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRTTOqQ2AQ

reminder that trap never won.
>>
Madame,
Monsieur,
Bonsoir.
>>
>>134640604
I love it too
>>
I do like Gankutsuou. I feel like if I read the original book, I wouldn't like the Anime anymore, and I don't want that.
>>
File: checked.png (2 MB, 1280x1494) Image search: [Google]
checked.png
2 MB, 1280x1494
>>134641111
It's an adaptation after all. The source material is better, what else is new? Nice digits

Yet it's the best adaptation of the book so far.
>>
>>134641111
If you were to read the original book it would bore you to tears because it's been written in the 19th century and people generally don't appreciate the writing style of that period anymore. It's not the sort of fast paced, high tension YA novel you're accustomed to, assuming you even read anything at all. Furthermore it's not difficult to appreciate both the book and the anime as seperate works of art since the anime gave that story its very own spin in a multitude of ways.
>>
>>134636338
>regarding the most based ending of all time as inconsistent
>sugesting Edmund didn't surpass all socially approved moral values to get what he wanted during his years in prison

Seems like saying revenge is wrong is the new one-dimensional way of viewing the subject.
>>
>>134641458
Oh sod off, The Count of Monte Christo is anything but highbrow, it's a bloody revenge fantasy written by a man that was paid per word.
>>
>>134641458
It's a classic, anon.
>>
>>134641522
>regarding the most based ending of all time as inconsistent
>sugesting Edmund didn't surpass all socially approved moral values to get what he wanted during his years in prison
I guess inconsistent might be a bit of an overstatement given the more generally triumphant tone of the story, but that feeds back into the primary reason why I like a lot of the things the show did to the plot. Sure, the original ending was satisfying, but it was satisfying as the culmination of a less nuanced story.
To be completely fair, it's been something like a decade since I read the book, so I might be understating the elements that would have given it a more multidimensional approach to morality.
>Seems like saying revenge is wrong is the new one-dimensional way of viewing the subject.
Gankutsuou's definitely not a one-note preachfest about the evils of revenge. It's just that the "bad guys" and the "good guys" are far less clear-cut. It's not as much of a story about a wronged, flawed but fundamentally good man getting his revenge on those who deserve it (which, incidentally, was a hell of a common trope at about that point in literary history) as a story about the potential of humanity for depravity.
>>
>>134640469
Fuck off, I'm tired of people shoving half-assed complaints about how they hate anime into every thread.
>>
>>134641522
Book ending was shit.

Haidee's love for the Count is compared a thousands times with Albert's love for his mother in the book, so it came as incestuous and makes no fucking sense. It would have been better if Albert married Haidee and the Count gets a new family as in laws with Mercedes and her son.
>>
>>134641522
Try elaborating your "argument" as a dissertation instead a memetext if you are trying to look smart.
>>
>>134641862
>my shallow magic academy shounen shows are better
>>
This show was great.
madame
monsieur
bonsoir
>>
>>134641522
The book and the show have slightly differing perspectives on revenge and its costs, I liked that the show altered the ending for its more bleak and cynical read on the outcome of such actions rather than trying to use the original work's, which would have been thematically inconsistent with the changes made to the anime. It's an adaptation that stands on its own two feet as something interesting, which I think is better than a rote recreation in many cases.
>>
>>134646944
>It's an adaptation that stands on its own two feet as something interesting, which I think is better than a rote recreation in many cases.
Definitely. Too many people fetishize item-for-item faithfulness and use it as the measure of whether an adaptation is quality or not, even when slavish reproduction fails to make any use of what the new medium has to offer.
>>
>>134641657
>Im an illiterate retard
>>
>>134633133
The show itself was decent but man that ED was cringeworthy.
>>
I can't think of any other show based off a classical book. fate doesn't count
>>
>>134633133
https://youtu.be/VC3XIg6cDI8?t=1m42s

More anime should have OPs based off classical music.
>>
>>134647116
The froggy singer was pretty bad, but like >>134647137 said the rest of the soundtrack was great, a really nice mix of tasteful classical selections and some good original compositions.
>>
>>134646944
>>134647014
I agree anons. The book had this theme of he may be plotting and acting against these people but he can still stop and take it all back.

The anime focused more on the negative aspects of dantes' obsession and had a kind of cynical "once these things are set in motion, theres no going back."

Also the fucking OST is amazing.
>>
>>134641195
>Yet it's the best adaptation of the book so far.
I'm not sure if I'm happy about that. I love Gankutsuou but it's just weird that the only good adaptation of a centuries old classic is a gay chinese space cartoon.
>>
>>134647014
The only kind of people who do that are the ones that read/play an original for the sake of having read/played it.
>>
File: WMT.jpg (205 KB, 795x564) Image search: [Google]
WMT.jpg
205 KB, 795x564
>>134647130
>what is the World Masterpiece Theater?
>>
>>134647116
>Hating 'WHAT YOU SEEE... IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS"
>>
>>134647252
>gay

Holy fucking shit that ending. What the fuck was that? Why did it end with gayness?
>>
What I like about the book was that because we see it from Ed's POV, we get a more sympathetic treatment and a nicer balance between vengeance and actually helping those who were nice to him.

For the anime, because we get mainly a 2nd hand account and the whole space vampire curse thingy, we get to see the Count as more of an embodiment of vengeance itself, hence we see him as being more well, vengeful and somewhat less sympathetic. Which I found to be interesting in its own way since it helps to build up the whole Gankutsuou legend within the story. With that said though, I wish the anime ups the moral ambiguity a little in some aspect like not making the judge overlly crazy and so obviously evil.
>>
>>134647252
There was a french miniseries done in the 70's that's also pretty good and really faithful to the book
It's only available on french though
>>
>>134633198
The Cavalcanti trial scene was based in both versions but it was so much more tense in the book. Franz gets much better treatment in the anime, however, even if his family history is less expanded.
>>134636338
>inconsistent
I don't think you have a solid grasp on Christianity which is a major aspect of the book.
>>
>>134647381
Thats bull though, it hardly depicted the count as evil. Hell the count in the book was willing to go to further extremes at some points. We still saw enough of dantes to see how he was wronged and enough of his enemies to see why they deserved what they got. The anime just contrasted with the book because it takes on a more cynical look on dantes' actions. Once he set things in motion he was unable to stop and at times it kind of looked like he may have wanted to. With the book, he was able to stop his plots when a friend begged him enough to(like maximillien)with a few disguises and pulled strings. Hell the events of the plot are mostly the same between the two, and they still manage to do a different adaptation by changing perspective and ending slightly.

It was great. And again, the OST was fucking great.
>>
>>134647691
Franz was a total beta in the book. He got keked by his father in law.

Yeah I get the themes of the book. There was a strong redemption thing going on in the book.
>>
>>134647381
Villefort was evil as fuck in the book though.
>>
>>134647691
>I don't think you have a solid grasp on Christianity which is a major aspect of the book.
What, the theme of redemption? Sure, I think I know what Dumas was trying to do, but that aspect always seemed really weak to me. I understand that (nearly) unconditional redemption is an element of Christianity, but redemption without much true repentance is not a very satisfying way to end things.
>>
>>134647796
Danglars was worse and Mondego wasnt good either.
>>
>>134647786
True but it wasn't just redemption. Dantes was literally trying to act as God on earth. He believed revenge was divinely inspired. And why wouldn't he? The pieces fell into place perfectly enough for him. But if he had died in the book, whether by sacrifice or by battle, it would have reinforced this mistake idea of God on Earth by connecting him with Jesus to an even further extent.

Even in the book Franz had some o.k. moments. Like visiting the island of Monte Cristo and getting high out of his mind. But yes, he got keked. Is it worse to be keked or gay for your best boy?
>>
So the anime was great and all but why the fuck did it end with gay shit that came out of nowhere? I still dont understand this.
>>
>>134647828
No not really redemption. Like I said, a dead Dantes makes a Jesus allegory out of him. That is the exact opposite of what Dumas was trying to explain through his character.

The anime doesn't focus as much on those themes. Even gives Dantes more of a satanic vibe, an accuser, or adversary with the Gankutsuou spirit.
>>
>>134648088
Not really? Jesus' death was sacrificial gain. Dantes' death wouldve made his plots fall apart. I get dumas was trying to show edmond as the opposite of what he thought he was(divine providence) but thats not why he had dantes live through the whole thing.
>>
>>134648040
>out of nowhere

Nigga what? It was full of gay stuff since the beginning. Trap was sucking off Albert's dad.

Because Maeda likes it and it's /m/ related.
>>
File: mahiro maeda.jpg (2 MB, 3784x2655) Image search: [Google]
mahiro maeda.jpg
2 MB, 3784x2655
>>134648040
Because it's made by Mahiro Maeda.
>>
>>134648268
Yeah but albert kissing the count and nullifying gankutsuou came out of nowhere.
>>
>>134648268
Don't tell me you wouldn't let the trap give you a BJ anon.
>>
>>134635479
I was crying by that scene, then I got shocked like a fucker when he started laughing.
>>
>>134648251
>his plots fall apart
Wait, you're arguing that Dantes needed to die before his revenge was fulfilled to his liking? That didn't even happen in the anime. And it wouldn't be consistent with anything the book was developing.

I thought you were saying the anime ending was more consistent than the book ending. Dantes' has completed his revenge and the only thing left was something he was doing begrudgingly. His death in the anime was a sacrificial gain. With Gankutsuou leaving his body even signifying some kind of redemption or loss of ancient evil (original sin if you want to take it that far, the anime doesn't but the book would have). The last actions of Dantes make it very clear he is not Jesus. He takes a woman and continues to live on. I think Dumas knew exactly what he was doing.
>>
>>134648469
I'd blow her.
>>
>>134648521
No I meant that his plots fall apart if he died. Most of them required him alive to work. That contrasts to jesus' death which was centered around sacrificial gain. So if the count died in the book, it wouldn't have to be a jesus allegory.
>>
>>134648780
Adding on, it could have if dantes revenge required his death to be complete. Im just saying, his death wouldnt necessarily mean that.
>>
>>134648780
Which plots?
>>
>>134648886
His plots to destroy villefort, mondego and danglars as well as their families.
>>
File: takarajima 3.jpg (46 KB, 450x515) Image search: [Google]
takarajima 3.jpg
46 KB, 450x515
>>134647130
>he hasn't watched Takarajima or anything Masterpiece Theater
>>
File: 1448666772367.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1448666772367.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>dat moment when rach 2 practice
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.