[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The endless argument
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: mpv-shot0002.jpg (97 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0002.jpg
97 KB, 1920x1080
After hearing so much about this video player bullshit here and how people just spew random shit with no arguments I wondered.

Can it really not just be fucking tested?

And it can so here's your proof.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153592

Comparison between a freshly built MPV with no changes and tweaked to full retard power MadVr

It looks almost identical but if you inspect it VERY CLOSELY there is a difference.

MPC-HC has a lot less static noise than MPV.

But MPV has a lot less choppy artifacting that MadVr adds.

Also MadVr adds really weird smooth lines with because of the debanding which makes them look badly upscaled.

There you fucking go, use whichever you like based on those.

It's not that big of a deal.
>>
Now post your "tweak setting"
>>
>>134533173
High banding artifact reduction, 3 taps Jinc, anti ringing, linear light scale, superres, 80shrp, err. diff 2 dithering.
Most obvious ones in quality for performance with no subtitles tradeback.
>>
I went around the block with this retardation too. End result: AVC stream (x264, etc) quality is based completely on the source and encode. The end.
>>
>>134533145
I don't even care. I never post screencaps on here anyways and I could even watch streams, because I care more about the content of the show than the quality of the video.
>>
File: kaizo-derp.png (545 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kaizo-derp.png
545 KB, 1280x720
>>134534031
This.

>>134535910
And this.

These player wars are a peculiar niche of autism that unfortunately is unavoidable in animu fandom. It boggles my mind that people argue about grain in a 4 fps cartoon animated by drunken monkeys in Thailand.
>>
>>134536618
>streaming is fine
>>
>>134537367
It is if you don't give that much of a fuck.
>>
>>134537367
Literally autism
>>
>>134533145
>Comparison between a freshly built MPV with no changes and tweaked to full retard power MadVr

>Comparing a configured player with one with default (conservative) settings

Are you retarded?
>>
>>134539322
Are you retarded?
How do you configure madvr on something that doesn't support it?
It's a clean madvr comparison from what I understand. So there are no changes to the MPC player either, and shouldn't be in the first place from what I understand in this >>134533392 post.
And it proves that it's just a fucking placebo and there is no difference.
And why the fuck would you configure mpv? avc stream works as intended by the dev and changing that would be retarded. Or you mean tweaking gamma or saturation levels?
Get a fucking brain and consult an ophthalmologist.
>>
>>134539508
>>134533145
>Proving anything when you use 100KB jpg for 1080p comparison
0/10
>>
>>134539658
>>134539322
>being this autistic
This is exactly the point why the thread was made, even when you shove the evidence at people they just pretend to be retarded and keep shitposting.
Just pitiful really.
>>
>>134539508
It's not a fair comparison at all, because you're comparing a renderer pumped with high-end settings and one with baseline ones. By default vo=opengl doesn't even do dithering.
And OP didn't say anything about the source (not to say that jpg is at least questionable), which is a pretty fucking important information: what resolution is the video source to begin with and if the source is BD or not matter a fucking lot.

>How do you configure madvr on something that doesn't support it?
>Or you mean tweaking gamma or saturation levels?
Got it, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>134538217
>caring about quality is autism
Guess we should all use CRTs still.
>>
>>134533145
>comparing stills of the same video

What the fuck do expect to change? The colors?
>>
>>134533145

>ctrl-f daiz
>0 results
>>
>>134533145
These days Kissanime's player is just as good as all of them.
>>
>>134539837
If you're retarded, sure.
>>
>>134539747
>implying mpv supports madvr
>implying you need to configure mpv
spotted the retard

All of that doesn't matter, there is no fucking difference, you have no point.
>>134539817
here's another one
>>134539837
and another

What an amazing thread huh
>>134539822
this guy knows what's up
>>
>>134539721
>evidence
These are not evidence, just the work of a clueless moron.
Here some evidence of why configuring your player matters: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153625

Upscaled 480p source, first image is plain vo=opengl, second one is opengl-hq with ewa_lanczos both as scale and cscale (the nearest possible to OP's madvr's settings). Tell me there is no difference.
But if you want to keep on being ignorant and post comparison of unscaled screenshots to prove that difference in scalers is not that important go on. Don't be surprised if someone call you out, though.

>>134540081
>implying mpv supports madvr
Never implied that.
>implying you need to configure mpv
Yes, you need.
>>
>>134539747
>>134540150
Are you actually retarded or something? You clinically blind? There is no difference between a tweaked madvr and base mpv settings, literally no difference. Try taking another look at the first link.
I don't even know how to make you understand that you keep being persistent about unfairness but that's the whole fucking point, jesus christ you're autistic.
>>
>>134540261
Not that anon, but are YOU clinically retarded?

I understand the point OP's trying to make, "a freshly installed player can do the same as a fully configured one", but the quality of the images is fucking shit and doesn't actually show anything but artifacts that are caused by the jpg compression.

If you want to do a reasonable comparison, at least upload uncompressed screenshots like that anon did.
>>
>>134538217
>not caring about autism
Then what the fuck are you doing here then? Why are you on 4chan? In the land of autism where autism is the source of fun?
And for your information, if it weren't for autistic faggots who complains about every little flaws and details then encoding and rendering techs wouldn't have went as far as it did.
>>
I just switched myself a few days ago from mpc+madvr to mpv.

Unzipped mpv, put a video in it and it looks better than mpc+madvr with literally no setup.

Can't believe I subscribed to the placebo mpc+madvr bullshit for so long. I get the blind fandom and ravenous will to defend what you have used for years since that's how /a/ is generally, but mpv is just honestly better - aesthetically and functionally. I mean, command line control over your waifu projection program has to rank at least in the top10 of anon's wet and autistic dreams right?
>>
>>134540740
If your hardware is enough powerful, you should at least configure it with

video-sync=display-resample
vo=opengl-hq:interpolation
>>
File: sit straight.jpg (632 KB, 935x1300) Image search: [Google]
sit straight.jpg
632 KB, 935x1300
OP is back with vengeance.
I guess you people just won't listen.

All right fine here you go.
Uncompressed scaled MPV baseline, from the build and lossless MPC with MADVR settings that are mentioned here >>134533392

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153632

The source is a 10 bit 1080p x264 BD encode
settings are
cabac=1 / ref=14 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=11 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=0.80:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=12 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=15.5000 / qcomp=0.70 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=40 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.85

The point was to show that there is no difference to the Core Audience that is involved in the argument, users who get kcp and mpv and use it from the get go.

That's why neither of the players are configured outside of the madvr, to show that you're a fucking retard if you claim there is an actual difference when you're not making any tweaks.

I guess I worded it poorly and didn't go in great lengths but now I have and as you can see my point still stands.

Now stop being so dense and go home with your technical mumbo jumbo this post wasn't for you in the first place and it's pointless to try and explain >>134540150 this either fucking way, no one here is smart enough to create a config file for it on their proprietary os anyway.
>>
>>134541146
Careful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk
>>
>>134541146
As I thought, 10bit unscaled source, ripped from Blu-ray.

You can argue that you only watch 1080p BD rips on your Full HD monitor, but that's really not always the typical case, because a lot of sources are 720p releases, shitty banded and bitstarved rips, anime with 420p releases only (old shows without BDs, OVAs bundled with tankoubons, and more); and not every monitor is Full HD, of course, 2K and 4K are widespread by now.
These are all instances in which scalers and the various "correction" techniques employed by a configured player do matter, a lot, as showed by >>134540150 (and that source is even quite polished, simulcast rips are way worse http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/153635)
It's not even technical mumble, it's something visible to the naked eye.

And if it's not clear enough I use mpv since 0.3.11, I for sure am not here to defend MadVR.
>>
>>134541146
Holy shit I almost expect daiz to show up any second now.
>>
>>134539804
I still keep a CRT around for watching normal TV because I like them. I have an LCD, too, but something about CRTs is appealing. Would never watch animu on it, of course.

Unless it was made pre-2000.
>>
>>134533145
I finally got convinced like a week ago when I followed these instructions:
http://files.nyaa.se/HOW_DO_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
The thing is, there's one thing the text doesn't mention. In point 11. when you click on removing bandin artifacts or something like that, be sure to set both options to high.

After that the banding will drop significantly. If you can I can make a screenshot, but it's kind of a pain because for some reason when I use the in-built screenshot things they turn black. So I would have to do a "printscreen" paste it in paint and sent it here.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.