[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /a/ think that edginess makes a character or a show
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: 324132.jpg (13 KB, 382x382) Image search: [Google]
324132.jpg
13 KB, 382x382
Why does /a/ think that edginess makes a character or a show automatically bad? Pic related
>>
>>134430480
It doesn't, /a/ just wants to ignore the fact that anime only got big because said edge made westerners notice it. And since /a/ and pretty much any wannabe funny cynical satire piece of shit person wants to feel more of an "adult" than everyone else. They labeled it as a 13 year old, childish part of the anime culture.
>>
I don't think it makes the show bad per say. Buuuuuut... depending on how much edge we're talking here, it does make it more irritating.
>>
Edgelords can't understand positive things. It bursts their SFP bubbles.
>>
>>134430480
because its usually done poorly.
>>
>>134430725
How is it more irritating? In sasuke's case the dude literally lost it all at a young age. In his case edge is absolutely normal. Would it be realistic for the character if he was like "meh oh well, didn't care anyway".
>>
Everyone in this thread is underage
>>
>>134430480
Because it gives me another buzzword to criticize something I don't like.
>>
>>134430828
Yeah that's a nice little thought bubble man. How about you say this on your way to Winnie Hut jr? It's down the block, can't miss it man.
>>
Sasuke isn't edgy though.
If you actually took the time to read the story, you would realize he's just stupid, not edgy.
>>
>>134430868
If you don't like the Edge Plot device then what do you enjoy? You like moe? or just vanilla shit? Edge is used to add depth to the character and to show how someone's thinking can be when pushed to their limit. How in the hell is that a bad thing?
>>
There is no such thing as an edgy character, just an edgy tone and atmosphere to a story.
>>
>>134430809
Maybe I should have said my stance on Sasuke. I agree with you on him. It's just that I find edge in general, is annoying. There has to be a good reason for it, otherwise I find it irritating.
>>
>>134430917
Calling him just stupid, is an insult to stupid people. Sasuke is extremly retarded, his actions doesn't even make sense half the time, and the other half of the time, they are contradicting his life goals in the most basic manner that one could think of.
>>
>>134430480
Do you remember all of those cheesy chapter-end blurbs about "hatred" and "darkness" whenever Sasuke did anything? This is why everyone hates edgy shit, because it regularly devolves into this over-dramatic, teen-misanthrope's-fantasy bullshit, and it stops having to do with any real purpose and just becomes edge for the sake of edge. Seriousl, you have to be an idiot if you think Sasuke's actions were written with motivational consistency as the main priority and not "he is the dark anti-hero, so he has to do edgy things to look cool and cause more conflicts."
>>
>>134430480
/a/ just finds it juvenile.
Which is funny cause this place is full of manchildren.

>>134430774
Theres also this
>>
>>134430480
If there is an edgy character then that is just how the character is. But if the whole show is edgy, that means the writers are edgy
>>
>>134431119
Can somebody post the hatred pics?

Anyway, nobody would constantly talk about his hatred and the darkness in his heart in real life. And I don't mean to say that naruto is realistic, but the characters should atleast be understandable. I expected sasuke to come back to the leaf alot of times. And he just cycled more in more, into the darkness shit. He was literally working for "uchiha-slayer"-coolest guy-Obito. Without any reason! Just to remind you, Tobi only showed sasuke his face. Why would sasuke recognize him?

But I really do like "good" edge. If it isn't edge'd out for years without any reason.
>>
>>134430480
Edginess is only bad if that's all a character amounts to, especially when the way the character is acting isn't logically consistent with their circumstances.
>>
>>134431110
>His brother did everything to save him and the village
>"I want to destroy the hidden leaf"

Yeah I don't what Kishi was thinking with that
>>
File: Tenkuu no Escaflowne 14.webm (3 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Tenkuu no Escaflowne 14.webm
3 MB, 960x720
>>134430480
Edgy isn't always bad. It's just bad when it's supposed to be cool and it isn't self aware.

Van from Escaflowne was pretty edgy at times but I liked it because it was supposed to show us his flaws.
>>
File: 1363878616420.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1363878616420.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
>>134430809
Let's compare Sasuke with the character Sasuke was clearly based on. Kurapika, while full edge at times, still demonstrates an emotional range outside of sad and pissed-off.
>>
>>134431443
I really loved how his entire crusade about that wound up killing exactly one person, and it conveniently was the also-edgy leader of the ninja KGB.
>>
>>134431594
Sasuke's was a little different.
Itachi used mangekyo on him when he was a kid.
He basically mentally tortured him and guilted him into a pretty bad choice, run and live your life knowing you let everyone die and couldn't avenge them, or dedicate your life solely to killing me and nothing else.
Not to mention Sasuke pre shippuden was always younger than Kurapika.
>>
>>134430480
Because most of /a/ likes innocent moe anime.
>>
>>134431767
I could make a manga entirely about a kid who's just been tortured and seen his family slaughtered and spends the whole manga sitting in a corner crying. That wouldn't be much of a stretch, but it'd still be fucking stupid.
>>
>>134430480
Naruto is bad because of terrible writing, not edge. It's just impossible to attack the show from an artistic standpoint and have the people who enjoy it understand why it's poorly written so /a/ attacks meaningless style choices.

/a/ loves plenty of edgy shit.
>>
File: magi-5430255.jpg (166 KB, 800x1170) Image search: [Google]
magi-5430255.jpg
166 KB, 800x1170
There's good edge and there's bad edge.
>>
>>134431831
Sasuke didn't cry all of naruto though.
He was traumatized to the point he only had one thing on his mind.
>>
>>134431443
Yeah because if your brother slaughtered your whole village and it turned out the village was the reason your brother had to murder everyone. You'd stay a loyal fucking blind follower to them. Bro, that's fucking retarded, any fucking normal person would want revenge for what happened to their entire family. No one would be ok with that bullshit.
>>
>>134431831
If you're going to talk about how badly written Sasuke is, at least refer to Shippuuden, at least in pre timeskip he was somewhat reasonable.
>>
>>134430480
Sasuke isn't a bad character because he's edgy. He's a bad character that was put in by an editor while the author was against it. He's actually just a useless character.
>>
>>134431976
You're right, any normal person wouldn't stay loyal, only smart people would.
To do what Sasuke did literally disrespects everything Itachi did. By betraying the village, he is literally disrespecting Itachi's choice.
>>
File: Itachi_and_Sasuke_by_exkiiL.jpg (67 KB, 900x443) Image search: [Google]
Itachi_and_Sasuke_by_exkiiL.jpg
67 KB, 900x443
>>134430480
Sasuke as a kid, was quiet as hell. He never even showed edge. All he wanted in the beginning was to kill itachi and avenge his clan and stay a member of the hidden leaf.

Literally a solider, as time went on and he realized that everything kept becoming more and more fucked up. Its only natural to make turn the person's mind into a fucking hate infested waste land.

Its like hearing Islamic State killed thousands of Americans to finding out the US army authorized the deaths
>>
File: ridiculous.gif (103 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
ridiculous.gif
103 KB, 450x253
>>134431919
>ali baba
This has no credibility with this kind of name
>>
>>134432109
>Not knowing what Arabian Nights is
>>
>>134431363
He had no idea Obito was behind the massacre though until later on. When did he show him his face? I forgot.
>>
>>134432353
Yeah, after the fight where Itach died, he should Sasuke his face.
>>
>>134432055
>smart person.

No.
>>
>>134430704
most underrated post
>>
File: angry feels.jpg (251 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
angry feels.jpg
251 KB, 1024x768
>>134430480
It's just nerds on /a/ who can't handle the dark feels. Same with Elfen Lied.
>>
>>134432526
Elfen Lied was a genuinely awful show.
>>
>>134430704
It's very hard to do "edge" correctly. For example Sauske just started doing completely incomprehensible things.
>>
>>134432558
No it's not, you're objectively wrong.
>>
>>134430480
Being edgy for the sole sake of being edgy is boring, pointless and completely overdone. I'm not saying edginess is automatically bad, but without any sort of counterbalance or a good reason it's basically the cheapest way possible to make something "cool".
>>
>>134432579
I don't even like Naruto and Sasuke has always been about "muh revenge" there's nothing overly edgy about him. Hell, Sasuke makes more sense than Kiritsugu. The guy kills his father out of the blue and became "muh heroism" outa nowhere
>>
>>134431976
>family wants to massacre village
>brother kills them because he wants to protect village
>I have to destroy the village for my brother
It makes zero fucking sense. If you want revenge for your family, then you don't start treating Itachi like a martyr. If you want revenge for your brother, then you don't fucking attack the people he wanted to protect.
Sasuke was mad because his family wanted to destroy the village, which he agreed they shouldn't destroy, and his brother killed them for it, so he wanted to destroy the village because its existence was somehow to blame. It's retarded logic that only works if you refuse to accept that anyone in your family could be to blame ever.
>>
File: berserk3.jpg (218 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
berserk3.jpg
218 KB, 1440x1080
>>134430480
Because it depends on how it is pulled off. Sasgay is edge done bad. Guts is edge done right. Edge isn't automatically a character archetype to throw out but the way it is pulled off makes a world of difference.
>>
>>134430480
It reminds them too much of themselves.
>>
Because /a/ is comprised of cool 17 year olds, not embarrassing 15 year olds.
>>
File: 1427398691586.gif (1 MB, 320x232) Image search: [Google]
1427398691586.gif
1 MB, 320x232
It doesn't. /a/ are just contrarions who remember their lonely childhoods where edgy animu was their only friend. They now resent their old companions, exacerbated by their own contrarioness.
>>
Almost everything he does in Shippuden is for some shitty shock-value or retarded melodramatic self-loathing. He's just a plot device to justify bad things happening.
>>
>>134430480
There's nothing wrong with revenge. It can also show the downfall to a character. Sasuke ending up hating the leaf because he was told Itachi was forced to wiped them out makes sense.

Imagine you're the only white person left in a black country after they've been white out and you found out it was orchestrated by the elites. How can you not hate the local population?
>>
The reason edginess is denounced on /a/ is because children, normalfags, nostalgiafaggots narutards, MAL, /v/, animesuki, >muh manime faggots, and pretty much every other subhuman periphery demographic in anime eats it up and then comes here to shit up the board.

Basically, it's a defense mechanism, and it's a justified and good one. Edginess is a disease, and moe is the cure.
>>
>>134432903
> If you want revenge for your brother, then you don't fucking attack the people he wanted to protect.

Not really. From Sasuke's point of view, Itachi was just a kid with stockholm syndrome.

It's like how /pol/ views the SJW cultural marxist. Many of them are white. Do they blame their ideology on them? Not to a full extent because they believe it's the Jews who are behind that brainwashing.

>>134432055
Smart people wouldn't protect a nation that decides to genocide its minority.

Nationalism is just as stupid as tribalism. But at least from an evolutionary perspective, Sasuke helping the ones who destroyed his people (i.e closest relatives with many common genes) is just dumb.
>>
sausage is my favourite anime person has red eyes and smarts
>>
>>134434131
>moe is the cancer
FTFY
>>
>>134433985
No one is gonna argue that Sasuke had a reason for revenge and his actions were understandable, but his whole character evolved into a sperg that can't stand if he doesn't waste a few panels from time to time for his hatread and darkness rants. From his early character I expected him to be more of an action type of guy, focused on his goal and rarely losing cool. Wouldn't that be more meaningful if it was shown more through his actions how fucked up he was?
>>
>>134432600
Are you serious?
>>
I prefer edgy characters because in the end they atleast kill the characters that deserve to die unlike extreme moralfags that try to befriend them.
>>
>>134434512
Would've been nice if he, for example KILLED enemies. I don't mean the shitty mass murder and the backstabbing he did to karin.

It was mentioned before that he didn't kill anyone, even when he worked for Oro. That fact could have been used to demonstrate the emotional stress that he had. But instead he becomes a cold mass murderer who rants about his hatred. Just a single well placed kill, could have had more impact than all his rants combined. And it would have been still believable that he is at his core, a good guy.
>>134434642
Both extremes are total shit. Some people just have to die in this sort of stories. Oro for example. Why did the failkage let him live again?
>>
>>134433840
>/a/ is one person
>>
it's not that I hate edgy, I hate badly written edgy
>>
>>134430704
>any wannabe funny cynical satire piece of shit person

Which makes it extra funny because an "edgy" character is basically a cynical satire piece of shit person.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.