[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you honestly say you would have acted differently if you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15
File: 1402605273911.jpg (556 KB, 970x868) Image search: [Google]
1402605273911.jpg
556 KB, 970x868
Can you honestly say you would have acted differently if you were in Shinji's shoes?
I mean he was a 14 year old kid and they just expected him to fight aliens without any training or intel, it was kinda ridiculous to expect anything from him
>>
Ironically the Aliens etc wouldn't bother me, Giant robot that i can pilot! Sweet, bad guys to beat up! NP!

The blood and gore would be meh, the odd thing would be Rei.
Still not sure what i would do about her.

So yeah, Shinji is just a fag.
>>
I'm not actually sure what I would do. I think I'd react similarly to Shinji, especially because my father never loved me either. Hell, he didn't even think I was his son.
>>
Shinji on a whole reacted with a lot more strength and clarity of mind than most people would. Admittedly he did break on several occasions, but for a young teenager it isn't exactly unbelievable.
>>
File: Fry Me to the Moon.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Fry Me to the Moon.png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>124988716

It makes total sense, which is why it's great. People really poops on him for being a "wuss", but there's so much stuff on him, it's ridiculous.

No mom, father only uses him, 14 years old, if he doesn't do well everyone dies, mechs put huge mental strain on him during every battle, Rei is turns out to be a clone and one of his mom at that.

Asuka also puts strain on him because of her problems, which also have equal amounts of reason, with the constant tsun and the constant dere that puts even more confusion and distress on him.

There are so many layers, man. Can't wait for the Bluray release at the end of August.
>>
>>124988970
It's not that I don't like him because he' a "wuss," I just found him to be extremely boring. Though to be fair, I probably went into it with so much hype built up that it couldn't meet what I expected. Because of that, I've only watched the first 9 (I think it was 9) episodes, so I never saw if he got better
>>
>>124988716
Shini being a faggot is a pretty important plot point
>>
>>124989165

I'd say to just power through it, even if you do find it boring. It's one of the most defining anime in existence. Plus, it gets a lot more interesting as you get deeper and deeper into the series. You understand more about Shinji and I think you'll find him less boring. Or maybe not. Still, I think you should finish it.

Also, jeez, all the mistakes I made in that post. "Rei is turns".
>>
File: kidsdontevenknow.webm (2 MB, 640x528) Image search: [Google]
kidsdontevenknow.webm
2 MB, 640x528
>Shinji starts displaying confidence in himself
>Almost immediately gets absorbed by an Angel and psychologically probed

It was hilarious when the kids laughed at him, though.
>>
>>124988862
>The blood and gore would be meh
I wouldn't be so sure.
I've seen plenty of decapitations and whatever gore on /b/ in my time, but my old man cut his finger open one time and I nearly passed out from seeing the blood.
It's a weird disconnect, seeing it on a screen or in person.
>>
He's a 14 years old with a piece of shit father that dumped him with a fucking tutor right after his mom died.

Then suddenly, his piece of shit father calls him out of the blue, and then him and other grown-ups emotionally extorts him into riding a huge alien that severely fucks with his mind to fight other dangerous giant aliens that fuck his mind even harder and tell him "if you don't do this the world is going to end and it's all your fault", and when asked about what those aliens are and how to kill them he gets "shit if know, I guess stab that red jello-looking thingie on it's chest with a boxcutter?". But surprise surprise, at the end they were just using him as a pawn so a bunch of old farts could have a tang orgie with the rest of humanity.

So no, he was not, but since /a/ is autistic like >>124988862
and only think in "muh giant robots like muh videogames" they don't realise Shinji acted like a person in his position would, and more.
>>
File: dear REDACTED.jpg (113 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
dear REDACTED.jpg
113 KB, 704x480
At 14, I'm not sure I'd have even responded to a letter like this.
>>
Shinji a shit.

The end.
>>
>Toji starts yelling at Shinji about causing too much damage in the EVA and how his sister got hurt because of him
>Shinji smirks and asks him what he gains from being angry all the time. Then tells him to punch him already or throw him off the roof if it'll make him stop bitching.
manga Shinji>anime Shinji
>>
Honestly at 14 I would have done it if they paid me a decent amount of money. I may have bitched and moaned a bit, but I would have just done it because I didn't give a shit about anything back then.
>>
This show ruined my friends
>>
>>124988716
i probably wouldnt have let asuka lord over me, i would be chill with her and level. i would have set up conditions to pilot the robot too.
>>
File: Shinji.png (4 MB, 1130x2123) Image search: [Google]
Shinji.png
4 MB, 1130x2123
In what episodes was Shinji a pussy again? I don't even think he was a pussy in the first episode. He was reluctant to pilot at first but that was because Gendo asked him to do so out of fucking nowhere, right after they had seen each other for not even a minute in over a decade.

That obviously stirred some emotions in Shinji that wrong way. At the end, Shinji ended up piloting Unit 1 for Rei. How is that not alpha?
>>
>>124988716
I probably would have at least gone to the hospital bathroom before masturbating.
>>
>>124989422
>0:07
>"I'm so fucked up."
>>
>>124988716
I am more of an Asuka. Jump at the chance to prove myself. Difference is I would crash and burn first mission.
>>
>>124991427
While doing things for women is not necessarily beta, it can't ever be alpha in itself.
>>
>>124988716
>>124988862
He has the feeling of having the skin seared from his body plus all sorts of other tortures.
>>
>>124991427
The episode where he ran away was the only one really.

People exaggerate so damn much with the show forgetting how often he did just get in the robot and fight.
>>
File: 1427172264020.gif (1 MB, 356x264) Image search: [Google]
1427172264020.gif
1 MB, 356x264
>>124989422
>Rebuild
>Shinji starts displaying confidence in himself and returns to NERV to save Rei
>Fails
>Causes Third Impact, wipes out 90% of the human race, obliterates the planet's eco system, and wakes up in the future
>>
>>124991427
You are right. Shinji was always a selfless hero.
He just broke under the pressure of everything.
Most real people would be paralyzed after seeing Rei in bandages. They would not be able to say "I'll pilot it"
He may have small balls, but he has them.
>>
Imagine going into an arcade underground with a sexy lady, you're 14 so you aren't really into older women yet. You are lead to an arcade that asks you to put on a suit to play this super fun game.

you don't understan the controls and everytime to fuck up you get shocked that simulates the feeling of dipping your hand in acid. you pass out from the shock and wake up to find out you got the best score out of every other participant. they say your new home is closer to the arcade and your old school can go fuck iteslf doesn't matter that it's middle of the year. also your father that abandoned at age 4 said to pass on the message to not be late.

people who gave up and couldn't watch every episode to the movie have no opinion, you just ave absolutely non fuck off
>>
>>124992135
You are correct but also an idiot. This analogy is completely useless.
>>
>>124992135
> you're 14 so you aren't really into older women yet
Fuck that. When I was 14, I wanted to fuck anything that wasn't fat or a man sometimes.
>>
People also don't seem to realize that Evangelions are not Gundams. They are not really giant robots at all. They are gigantic armored humans, and when you get in the pilot pod (which is injected into the giant human's spine), it fills up with blood that you have to breathe. Also, you feel all the senses of the giant human, so when it takes damage you feel corresponding pain. The giant human also regularly goes insane and starts killing things at apparent random. It is not fun to pilot an EVA.
>>
>>124989468
Most of /a/ are mankids who think every MC should be a shounen character who are perfect and can take on every situation.

They can't take it when some MCs starts behaving like a RL human kid.

They call it names(most likely "beta") throw rocks at it and condemn it like they are badly written. Then when the MC mans up they call the show badly written and trainwreck.
>>
>>124992211
it came to me, didn't want to waste it. you could blame me for lowering the posting quality but I couldn't less of a shit.

anyway I just wish fags that had EVA windowed as they barely paid attention to come here and give their shitty opinions just drop dead

>>124992212
don't know about you but I was picky. turned down girls all the time at that age

never really had a girlfriend after that... so I guess it didn't really matter
>>
>>124992416
>turned down girls all the time at that age
Maybe you are just socially retarded?
>>
>>124992266
isn't it more like spinal fluid? or something from the central nerve? actually LCL is something fantasy so it doesn't matter
>>
>>124992440
yeah sure, but I don't project that on a socially and mentally abused child at least
>>
>>124992464

It's blood. Processed blood, but pure blood. Smells like blood, tastes like blood, feels like blood, came right out of Lilith's bleeding wounds (and Lilith, being the progenitor of humanity, is essentially human in terms of composition, so her blood is equal to human blood). The only differentiation is that it's orange and transparent, and even then it turns red when the EVA power is cut, so that might just be a matter of lighting.
>>
>>124988716
It's kinda funny the authors of that comic are feminists despite they seem to have the mentality of a frat boy
>>
>>124991684
Not that guy, You forgot tipping your fedora.

But seriously, Rei was in a fucked up condition and she was still going to pilot if Shinji refused. If no one piloted it in that moment, they were done for.

He basically did what he had to do, but he pretty much didn't have too much of a choice and that was what Gendo wanted, anyway.
>>
File: 1430457860406.jpg (3 MB, 1530x3030) Image search: [Google]
1430457860406.jpg
3 MB, 1530x3030
>>124988716
Nobody hates Shinji as much as the spics.
>>
>>124992978
>spaniards liked MEGAS

Why am I not surprised?
>>
File: 1398351254377s.jpg (13 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1398351254377s.jpg
13 KB, 300x200
>>124992978
>An adult man fantasizing with bullying a kid
>>
>>124993236
You shittalking MEGAS, son?
>>
File: 1754513-eva01_no_armor_super.png (468 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1754513-eva01_no_armor_super.png
468 KB, 600x450
>robot
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there was some kind of plot point about how they weren't robots where you'd press a button and the arm moved but instead giant skinless clones of aliens created by god who despised the very concept of humanity and exploded the heads of nearly every test pilot until they found 3 or 4 children who merely went insane instead of dead at being directly connected to giant alien brains who felt nothing but pure agony and hatred.
>>
>>124994044

Isn't that exactly why any 14-year-old-boy would be champing at the bit to pilot one, rather than crying about it?
>>
>>124994044
That is sorta a spoiler though, they are made out to be a robot/mecha/Idontknowwhaatmcallsit. Granted you find out almost immediately they aren't.
>>
>>124994224
The show is 20 years old, and the Evas being more than they seem is pretty clear even from the start.
>>
>>124988716
Yes everyone would react the same way, especially every akward 14 year old japanese boy.
>>
>>124988716
>I want you to pilot this giant robot
"I know we haven't talked in years, and the last thing I said was that I didn't need you. I need you now. Also the robot is hooked to you neurally so that every scratch on UNIT01 feels like it was carved into your very own flesh."
>And live with this smoking hot chick
"She's got problems but she's like your fun uncle. Plus I know how realistically 14yos are actually pretty scared of sex, and even with whatever /ss/ daydreams you might have you'll probably be intimidated. She's also crazy, lonely, alcoholic, and lives with a South American >bird. She's lazy and distant, even though she seems energetic and friendly."
>And this one.
"She might want your dick, who knows? But she has a huge superiority complex that's great for a pussy like you. You'll never learn to believe in yourself when your sister-thing is this bitchy Queen Bee but at least she's hot, right? And she'll be there when you need it. Just remember that no matter what she puts on she's just as scared as you are and goes through the same problems. You'll probably grow to resent her, because she's not the Queen Bee she says she is."
>Feisty redheads not your thing?
>Then check out this super submissive hottie. We order them in bulk.
"She's creepy and off-putting. She's a robot with no sense of self. I'm sure she'll warm up to you, but she's hard to talk to and quite fragile. She might die and remember nothing when her replacement is born. She will scoff at every whimsical feeling and look down at you when you try to convey emotions; but if you persevere I'm sure you'll end up in bed with her somehow. Also she looks like your mom, it's because she's a clone."

Gee, this comic is so funny and accurate haha
LOL
>>
>>124988716
>Can you honestly say you would have acted differently if you were in Shinji's shoes?

Nope. People who rant about him are probably the same people who talk about how if they had been at [latest mass shooting incident/terrorism] they'd have totally kicked that guy's ass, etc..
>>
>>124988716
truth be told I have a dad similar to gendo but not that bad, similar in a way he looks down at his son. Frankly I would jump right in, then quickly panic with the LCL water filling my lungs, then freak the flying fuck out when the angel breaks my arm. I mean freak out scared shitless not beast modedo.
>>
>>124994442
>truth be told I have a dad similar to gendo
So did pretty much everyone. That's the point of the Gendo
>>
>>124988716
I don't know. But both sides are obnoxious as fuck. Those who claim that they'd be great and have no problems at the appropriate piloting age are unrealistic or trolling. Those who get assblasted at them and vehemently deny that any one person could find even just a little bit about piltoing an Eva interesting are insecure or are autistic and assume everyone acts the same.

I hope they all die.
>>
>>124988716
I laughed
>>
>>124992978
Isn't that by the same faggot that hated Mazinkaiser SKL despite never actually watching it, simply because "Not muh Mazinkaiser"?

Aoimaru, I think his name was?
>>
>>124994490
I don't really think that anyone thinks that piloting Eva wouldn't be at least somewhat interesting. The problem is that the risks and downsides of piloting Eva are far, far greater than any sort of intrigue or entertainment you might get out of it.

Also, there's the issue of piloting the thing in an active combat situation. I'm pretty sure almost anyone would head into the plug at least once if it was just a test run or something, but very, very few people would want to actually take on an angel.
>>
>>124988716
As an average American raised on Halo and Call of Duty, I would think he was the best dad ever if I were in Shinji's position.
>>
File: 1396401739983.jpg (10 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1396401739983.jpg
10 KB, 275x200
>>124988716
>Can you honestly say you would have acted differently if you were in Shinji's shoes?
Yes. Because I wasn't specifically raised to be useless and have no self esteem or real desires/sense of self. So I'd have acted VERY differently, but I don't blame Shinji either because he's basically what they wanted him to be. The whole scenario was planned out and he was supposed to just be a cog in his father's grand scheme so his pops didn't WANT him to have any real balls beyond what minimum was necessary because if he actually decided to use his Godbot for what he wanted boy would that throw a wrench in things.

I have two great parents though, a good time growing up in the countryside back in the day when you could just go roam around and build forts and shit, and by 14 I'd had a couple decent experiences like a major climb in the Alps on a trip, being off on my own for a few months in Europe etc. My pops taught me how to shoot and was generally a cool dude. I'd still have been in trouble but I'd have done differently then Shinji. But then for all those reasons why the fuck would I be there in the first place, they wouldn't want me. Hell they'd actively work to find someone else. Also that comic is dumb.
>>
>>124994596
>The problem is that the risks and downsides of piloting Eva are far, far greater than any sort of intrigue or entertainment you might get out of it.

The thing is though, from Shinji's standpoint, you can only imagine all these. All you know for sure is that you're going to fight a very dangerous, enigmatic being.

A random assortment of vagaries is less dissuading than knowing your pain will be shared to an extent with the Eva, that it can go berserk, that you can be sucked inside it etc.
>>
>>124994467
>So did pretty much everyone.
lol no. Lots of us had great, supportive fathers who took us out kayaking and read us stories and were firm but fair. Gendo is fucked up just like every other major character in Eva.
>>
>>124994663
That's probably the point the comic missed.

Piloting a Gundam, Patlabor, Macross Valkyrie or anything like that = Fun.

Piloting an EVA = Insanity and pain
>>
>>124988716
>we order them in bulk
Every time.
>>
>>124994662

Pretty much this.

However, I'm very sure I would have fooled around with Asuka. She seems easy.
>>
>>124994663
I think Shinji's fucked up relationship with his father is what caused most of Shinji's initial reluctance. Many people fail to notice that during that scene, Shinji is basically just playing chicken with his dad. He doesn't really believe that he is necessary for the mission, and he wants to see what his father's back up plan is to validate his feelings.
Also, you need to recognize the fact that an imminent combat situation can be incredibly daunting, especially if you have no knowledge of how to operate the equipment you are going to use and just saw the thing you are going to fight survive a nuke.
>>
That is a bad comic, and although it's for the sake of a joke, it makes me feel like the creator completely missed the point.
>>
Why did Gendo force Shinji to pilot the EVA? From what it looks like anyone 14 could of done it.
>>
>>124994857
Yea, I really don't like the comic. Shinji's problems were a little more deeper then "dad whyyyyy."

Shinji just didn't want to run away anymore, so he piloted the EVA.
>>
>>124994663
Well, I assume that we'd go into the situation ignorant too not with a bunch of genre savvy meta knowledge. We're just talking about us at 14 which at least in my case was before I even knew what anime was before Eva existed anyway. So all we'd know at first was "do this or everyone is fucked we're sure you can handle it" and then learn the rest along the way. Objectively speaking from the real world, child soldiers are an actual thing and can start way, way younger, and plenty of them do "fine" although they tend to end up fucked up in some ways. So I bet a lot of us could in fact adapt, Eva conditions are actually pretty damn good compared to actual real world war in the 3rd world. I'd probably train a lot harder though and question way more the point of even going to school at all vs combat training.

Actually the biggest concern (that the me there wouldn't know) is if knowing too much and working too hard and being too stable would actually destroy the Shinji-plot armor. Would 01 even go berserk with someone like that? And if not wouldn't there be lots of times it'd lose even with a better pilot?

>>124994755
>Piloting a Gundam, Patlabor, Macross Valkyrie or anything like that = Fun.
No, practically the same shit in the end, in a real combat situation you'd still be at constant risk of fiery death and without even any potential magic mom soul to save your ass. We see plenty of mook mechs get wiped, unlike with Eva you're not special by default you better be actual legit great or you are fucked. Might be fucked anyway.
>>
>>124988716
Only different thing is that I wouldn't care for anyone else life and given the chance rape girls here and there "I can kill you and everyone you know in the next mission, you saying no to me?"
>>
>>124994905
No, only people who are connected to the soul in the Eva can pilot it.
>>
>>124994972
Ok, so I understand how it works with Rei and Shinji, but why Asuka? For all I know her mom is just bad shit crazy.
>>
>>124995006
Ms. Sohryuu killed herself.
>>
>>124995006
Asuka's mother's soul being lost to the Eva is what made her insane in the first place. It's the sane part of her soul that's in the Eva.
>>
>>124995040
>>124995051
Thanks anons, I cant believed I missed that. I should re watch EVA again
>>
>>124994956
>No, practically the same shit in the end
So you're equating a joystick and foot pedals to having your brain directly linked to the brain stem of an giant insane alien who can feel nothing but hate and pain?
>>
>>124995089
Pilot ID cards have 4 digit numbers, they went through a lot of test pilots before figuring that out.
>>
>>124995089
I can't really blame you for missing it. This sort of stuff is not very obvious. I didn't know about it myself until I read it here.
>>
>>124995156
I learn something new every EVA thread, its been years anons. I wonder what else has Anno packed in EVA?
>>
Let's be honest, Shinji's internal turmoil is a realistic response for a 14-year-old forced to constantly put his life on the line. The reason it's aggravating is because so much of the show is dedicated to illustrating something so natural and obvious to us. Yes, a few scenes here and there illustrated just how broken Shinji is because of constantly having to fight is a good idea, but 5+ minute long segments of him trying to run away from his duties as an Eva pilot? Bad writing. We should be directing our displeasure at the writers and directors, not Shinji.
>>
>>124995111
He's talking more about the physical threat of death, which is fairly comparable in both.
>>
>>124995177
I liked how it was in the Rebuilds, he goes to another city and sleeps in cardboard and the trash.
>>
>>124995177
>5+ minute long segments of him trying to run away from his duties as an Eva pilot?
You realize there are only a few episodes where he does this, right? He doesn't run all that often.
>>
>>124995186
One cockpit feels like a leather seat, the other feels like having your skin being ripped off. It's a pretty big difference. Most people wouldn't even notice the outside world through the pain.
>>
File: 1314379681108.gif (299 KB, 502x1952) Image search: [Google]
1314379681108.gif
299 KB, 502x1952
>>
>>124995271
You are missing the point. Ignoring the pain and stress, the risk of death is still present in both cases, and that anon clearly sees death as being more threatening than any level of physical pain, and I'm apt to agree.
>>
>>124988716
The whole concept of NGE is kinda ridiculous.
>>
>>124995111
>So you're equating a joystick and foot pedals to having your brain directly linked to the brain stem of an giant insane alien who can feel nothing but hate and pain?
Fundamentally, yes. Also there's clearly separation with the Eva's own feelings most of the time, we see them calm in the cockpit plenty when they're not actually fighting and experiencing pain. But it doesn't really matter: in real combat people get hurt plenty (hell in stressful situations period, I've been there) and don't even feel it because of adrenaline and shock, but the fear of death in the lead up and the come down after will be the same either way. Ordinary mechs are plenty fragile, particularly Valks which are pretty much entirely about maneuverability and raw pilot skill rather then tanking hits. Every time you sortie it's going to be at least as high a risk of death as Eva if not way, way higher, and there's no gigantic organization dedicated solely to your victory at least until they're done with you and recovery each time. Mech pilot = single mook amongst dozens to hundreds to thousands of others, unless you are good enough to be ace-level you aren't worth much. In Eva if you don't lose at least you're a fucking hero, you've got massive dedicated support staff, resources, and plenty of personal leverage for mistakes even since you aren't replaceable.

Being a mech pilot would have its moments too of course, and I'm sure you'd build a different set of connections (like camaraderie with your fellow pilots) if you didn't die too quick or fuck up in which case everyone would hate you. But in a real war it'd be nasty just like any other real war. Obviously just joy riding could be lots of fun, but I assume we're talking about combat here because joyriding an S2 Eva with no angels or seele to worry about would probably be fun too.
>>
File: squash.png (728 KB, 1280x843) Image search: [Google]
squash.png
728 KB, 1280x843
Why is this scene so good?
>>
File: 1386313844968.gif (247 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
1386313844968.gif
247 KB, 400x200
>>124988945
>>
>>124995177
>Let's be honest, Shinji's internal turmoil is a realistic response for a 14-year-old forced to constantly put his life on the line.
No anon, it really isn't. Or more accurately, it may be a realistic response for SHINJI himself forced to constantly put his life on the line IN THAT SCENARIO. But if you think it's realistic in general then you are just really ignorant. Historically there were plenty of 14 year olds in combat, including on naval ships and such which might be a rough approximation. So if you want to know what "realistic" was just go fucking read about REALITY. Fact is lots of them did very well and continue to do quite well, but that's because there was specific training and support structures. Even for older people, conditioning & support is actually one of the most important parts of a real military, normal humans have to have a lot of psychological readjustment and training to basically run towards bullets rather then away. Basic training on up, all the rituals, regs, command structure and so on are in part about making that all happen.

So for a normal 14 year old who isn't fucked up and has learned some independence and then is actually given training and support it'd be normal for them to adapt very differently then what we see from Shinji. Obviously that's not the story they wanted to tell here though.
>>
>>124995215
It's just one example of the many ways they put too much focus on it. And once is enough already, when they do it more than once it becomes excessive.
>>
>>124995468
I think it would be a realistic response for a typical, contemporary, 14 year old from a developed country. Most people today really aren't prepared for such a thing.
>>
Rewatching it now made me realize how reasonable Shinji's actions were for the age he was and the kind of person he was.

I can safely say I'd have made just about every single one of the decisions Shinji did, except I'd probably slap it in Asuka.
>>
>>124988716
Its funny how much the OP pic fails at understanding baic human emotions.

Shinji's dad basically threw him away and told him to fuck off for god knows how many years before the series.

He invites him back and he doesn't even bother saying hi, he just says "get in the giant robot, btw the previous pilot sustained serious injuries fighting the aliens".

You know the girls in class that used to act nice to you so they could get your help for an assignment then treated you coldly right after they no longer needed your help?

Now imagine your dad doing that except hes telling you to risk your life for his career.
>>
>>124988716
I wouldn't have been such a bitch about it
I'd be afraid but just do it to get it over with
>>
>>124995670
>the comic is shit

Thank you for your insightful and original comment and follow elaboration that has not ever been put into words before.
>>
>>124995540
>I think it would be a realistic response for a typical, contemporary, 14 year old from a developed country. Most people today really aren't prepared for such a thing.
Outside of the likes of Sparta, the objective fact is that most people of any age aren't prepared to war period, and weren't ten or fifty or a hundred years ago either. Humans are adaptable though, and most 14 year olds aren't as messed up as Shinji either.

Really though, ultimately blame rests almost 100% on NERV and Gendo and Seele and everyone else up the command chain, not on Shinji (or any other soldier in that position). Given proper training and support, even Shinji likely could have done vastly better and been significantly happier. It's not his fault (nor would it be anyone else's in that position) that everyone actually in charge and with knowledge wanted to fuck with him, didn't care, or were retarded. It was an organizational failure, or more accurate it was an organizational success at a goal which was entirely different from what a genuine normal professional military organization treating the Angels purely as a conventional (albeit stupendously powerful and dangerous) enemy would have.
>>
>>124988716
Of course I would have acted differently, I'm not Shinji Ikari.
>>
>>124995304
LOL
>>
I probably would have refused to do it at first, too. Not because I hated my dad or some shit - because 14 year old me was really money-conscious and I'd be like "but I'll probably break it and it looks expensive pls no."

...And I think the thing that would push 14 year old me to just do it would be an age-appropriate qt3.14 who was basically my mom.

oh god I'm just like Shinji
>>
>>124995727
To expand upon this, think about what the US Military, or really any advanced professional military would do given the scenario:
- The enemy is a fixed number of massively powerful alien beings.
- They will be going for a fixed, known target which must be defended, and loss of which will result in the total destruction of humanity.
- Conventional weapons are at best a delaying and distraction tactic.
- A small number of super bots based off of reverse engineered tech are available, but since we don't really get the tech they have significant limitations including that only specific 14 year olds can pilot them.
- No really, that's just how it is, no there is nothing that can be done about it. Be happy we've got anything and aren't just fucked.
- You've got the full funds of humanity behind you because it's everything on the line, the mechs have such-and-such abilities etc.

Given that USMil would just deal with it professionally. So these kids are keys and their emotional well being critical? So be it. They'd be treated damn well, the military would call in experts and psychs, they'd figure out exactly what rewards and training would work best and constantly adapt as necessary, full briefings/debriefings, make sure they were celebrities if that was what was best, whatever it took. Big teams would work to guess and set up contingencies for everything they could each time. They'd deal with it. It'd be a pretty different show, no matter who said 14yo is.
>>
I'd probably tell my dad to fuck himself and leave, never piloting his gay robot in the first place.
>>
>>124994831
Don't stick your dick in crazy anon.
>>
>>124995923
and then everyone you know, including you, dies. yeah sure you would anon.
>>
>>124994831
>you
>on /a/
>sticking your dick in anyone at 14
>calling my waifu easy

Some days I really wish I were able to dox anons.
>>
>>124995988
I wouldn't believe them. I'm a coward at heart anyway. rip humanity
>>
>>124996077
I hope in that case NERV would immediately reveal it to the whole world so we could all take turns lining up to kick you in the balls before our inevitable demise.
>>
No, Shinji was manlier than me.
>>
>>124996012
She acted like she was on her period all the time because she didn't get dicked by her favorite old man, find some better waifu.
>>
>>124988716

Shinji should have just walked away. Went back to living with that teacher and jerking off to social studies books.
>>
>>124997489
Please tell me you don't actually think that's why she was bitchy.
I mean it didn't help, but it wasn't the cause.
>>
>>124988716
I'd fucking go for it with no hesitation if not the fact that evas transmit pain to their pilot.

But, considering dying in a cockpit is the one of the best ways to die, I'd probably still go for it.
>>
>>124997489
>find some better waifu
>She acted like she was on her period all the time because she didn't get dicked by her favorite old man,

So not only are you wrong, primarily, you also have no idea how this works. Kill yourself and do your family a favor by doing so.
>>
>I'd totally fug Asuka if I was Shinji

Just because she's desperately trying to prove she's an adult doesn't mean she'd immediately jump on your fucking dick. I'm just putting it out there.
>>
>>124988716
Shinji got in the robot and beat up the angels much more than not
For comparision, Getter robo is considered one of the manliest series of all time and once shit gets fucked up, the mc says fuck it and stops piloting the fucking robot for 20 years
>>
>>124988716
I'd have argued about the semantics of calling it a robot when it's actually non-automated vehicle.
>>
>>124988945
You probably weren't, you son of a slut.
>>
>>124998054
That's a completely fair point. Much as people bring up the kiss, he's got better odds of sticking it in her post-tang.
>>
>>124998266
After she's seen him jerk off to her comatose body?
>>
>>124998298
After she's been inside his head, understands him and actually extended a bit of kindness towards him.
>>
>>124998318
All right, but the ending is open in that regard.
>>
>>124988716
I grew up in a broken home where my dad wasnt there for me and just used me when he needed me

never was a bitch like shinji, hes just a beta autistic fuck
>>
>>124998318
Kimochi warui
>>
>>124998344
Oh, I'm not going shipperfag on it or anything. I'm just saying that if he wanted to, that would be a far better time for a multitude of reasons.
>>
File: from what.jpg (13 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
from what.jpg
13 KB, 250x250
>>124998371
>just used me when he needed me
>>
>>124988970
Won't the blu-ray release be japanese only?
>>
>>124998371
>just used me when he needed me
Did he pork your butthole?
>>
File: akashi.png (492 KB, 621x676) Image search: [Google]
akashi.png
492 KB, 621x676
>>124998601
Yeah its almost as if anime was a 30+ year old hobby supported by fansubbing
>>
>>124998601
We already have some pretty good subs, you know. The show and EoE will just be a matter of remuxing, but all the rare stuff will be a bit more difficult.
>>
>>124998394
Probably extended towards humanity as a whole, and you know what? Fair enough.
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.