[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /a/ think of "The Second Renaissance" short?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11
File: anime_gallery_sec_ren_2hl[1].jpg (35 KB, 720x306) Image search: [Google]
anime_gallery_sec_ren_2hl[1].jpg
35 KB, 720x306
What does /a/ think of "The Second Renaissance" short?
>>
It was the best of the bunch.
>>
>>124946280
I didn't like it when I was a kid. Now I just don't care for it. I don't think I was ready for that kind of graphic imagery. The hooker-bot getting beat up and the guy getting ripped out of his mech, it was just a little too much for me at the time. I loooved Kid's Story and it's still my favorite. Program was great too.
>>
This thread reminds me that I just downloaded the soundtrack the other day and I haven't listened to it yet. I remember listening to it in a cd store back in the day, just samples on their headphones, and wishing I could get it. I didn't have money though. And convincing my mom to buy me stuff, especially stuff related to violent cartoons was always an uphill battle.
>>
>Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

Chills, every time
>>
It's a shame that the last two movies were such trash. The lore is really fucking interesting.
>>
I really wanted to like it because the atmosphere was.

But god damn it the only thing it did is point out how absolutely retarded the whole backstory and lore of the Matrix world is.

The Matrix is best when it's about questioning your reality and weird shit and the nature of man and not when it's about stupid humans fighting stupid robots in improbable ways.

The Matrix was better before they added any backstory or expanded the lore.
>>
>>124946280
Arguably the best short and inarguably a really fucking neat piece of work. This scene gives me chills every time.

Pomf link because it just isn't the same without sound: http://a.pomf.se/uttxob.webm
>>
>>124946280
great references to historic cultural pieces of imagery and events
>>
>>124947475
That fucking Dred Scott quote gets me every time.

Incidentally, the guy who directed The Second Renaissance hasn't directed much else, but he did direct Gankutsuou. The guy who directed the abandoned house one also directed Akira and Magnetic Rose.
>>
>>124947622
Morimoto worked on Akira, but Otomo directed it.
>>
>>124947863
Shit, you're right. Guess my memory's failing me.
>>
>>124947622
>Dred Scott quote

Where?
>>
>>124947980
I should have said "quote from the Dred Scott trial". Happens during the murder trial of the robot.
>>
Anything else out there that gives off a similar "humanity fuck no" kind of vibe?

Bonus points for creepy robots
>>
>>124947980
"We think they are not, and were not intended to be included, under the word 'citizens' in the Constitution, and can therefore claim none of the rights and privileges which that instrument provides for and secures to citizens of the United States. On the contrary, they were at that time considered as a subordinate and inferior class of beings...[3]

also the reproduction of the execution of the vientamese guy Loan

great imagery
>>
>>124947168
And just think the second movie was going to be about the second renaissance.
>>
Part 1 was stupid

The part in OP's pic in Part 2 was cool.

That's about it. I groaned when the liberals were protesting alongside the murdering malfunctioning toasters because I thought that would probably happen in real life.
>>
>>124948954
It's going to be a horribly confusing time, possibly a violent time to live in, and our generation will probably live to see it happen, but I don't think it will happen like it did in this anime at all...
>>
>>124948954
They were at least kind of right, though. At first, the humans could have not tried to genocide the robots, so the robots wouldn't have ever made 01. Failing that, the robots were willing to coexist with the humans even after 01 was founded. The humans could have accepted economic stagnation in exchange for not getting genocided.

The stance of the short is fairly clear: if robots had been accepted as sentient beings from the start, none of the awful shit leading up to The Matrix would have happened. Realistically, though, it's highly likely that some sort of other awful shit would have taken place.
>>
>>124946551
But beyond was better
>>
File: NO_IM_REAL.webm (3 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
NO_IM_REAL.webm
3 MB, 1920x800
The Second Renaissance is my favorite because I adore science fiction, AI, robotics, and the philosophy of it.

Beyond and World Record are tied for second.
Final Flight Of The Osiris would be third.
>>
>>124949683
Why do people leave videos at their native resolution when making webms like this?
They always come out looking like shit.
>>
>>124949754
I'm terrible at making webms in all honesty. Would like to improve, but ffmpeg confuses the shit outta me. Can't even figure out how to select subtitle or audio tracks.
>>
File: manikin.jpg (53 KB, 535x300) Image search: [Google]
manikin.jpg
53 KB, 535x300
The soldier getting his limbs torn off as he's dragged out of his power armour is still one of the most unsettling things I've seen in anime.

His fucking screams, man. Kept me up at night when I was younger.
>>
>>124946280
I've recently come to believe that shot is an homage to The Thief and the Cobbler. I've never read anything to confirm that, though.
>>
> you are now remembering that scream.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

You can practically hear it by even starting this thread.
>>
>>124949823
>"oh god help me!
>Help me god, please!
>"Help me"
>AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I was young and it still haunts me.
>>
>>124949858
>>124949823
It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread picture.
>>
>>124949823
>>124949883
I'm so glad to hear that other people shared my experience.
>>
>>124949823
>>124949883
>>124949858

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLMjHrb_w4

Starts at 3:40.
>>
>>124946698
Same here, I generally like it even then but it freaked me out when I first saw it. I'm going to guess I was 12.
>>
>>124949858
Fucking this And the part where they beat the Fembot to death
>>
>>124949933
>create a layer of permanent clouds to block all light
>destroys the surface of the earth and renders it uninhabitable
>in a SURPRISE TWIST robots don't need to eat food and are fine

wow who would have expected something like this?
>>
File: no freedom from this evil.gif (436 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
no freedom from this evil.gif
436 KB, 500x338
>>124949933
Every time.
>>
>>124949933
The thing that cool about that video is how it shows all the faiths uniting against the machines.
>>
>>124949965
I still feel sad about her.
I can only hope our world becomes more tolerant in the future.
>>
>>124949965
Oh and the part where they were poking at a "vivisected" human's brain, making him laugh and cry.

There was a lot of unpleasant shit in that short.
>>
File: 1355443353042.jpg (24 KB, 199x300) Image search: [Google]
1355443353042.jpg
24 KB, 199x300
>>124949683
>No! Please!
>I'm real!
>>
Why did they tore off that soldier from his power armor instead of just killing him?
>>
>>124950029
Would have been cool to see some humans to actually side and live their own lives in harmony with the machines.
>>124950084
I always thought the scene with the little boy in the pod, with the narrator female caressing it was a wonderful addition.
>>
>>124950189
It was more intense a scene that way, to get across just how brutal the machines were.

>that last short
Makes me want to kill myself, /a/.
>>
>>124950189
Torture.
The machines had already become like humans and loved torturing the weak.
>>
>>124950189
Who even knows? One of the biggest things the machines had going for them was that they're fucking terrifying. Showcasing that viciousness doesn't hurt, especially in a scene when the Humans were definitely observing, doesn't hurt.
>>
>tfw the matrix series wasn't about a group of humans onboard an AI managed generation ship rebelling and ultimately dooming themselves in the name of misplaced personal freedom and xenophobia
>>
>>124950190
>Would have been cool to see some humans to actually side and live their own lives in harmony with the machines.
I want you to be honest with me. What is a human when compared with a machine? A human is sort of obsolete in my book when the pros and cons are lined up. The machines were not only able to see that Dark Storm was coming but they had an action plan all setup for it.

>>124950189
Later they show humans being kept alive while they probed our brains and bodily fictions. A broken human is as good as a resource to them as a healthy one.
>>
>>124950189
>>124950236
>>124950260
>>124950279

I imagine killing a human on way or another didn't mean anything to them, either? Why take time looking for a human way to kill him when you can just pull him out, dismembering him in the process? We don't see what happens to him after that, but it might be as simple as dropping him there to bleed to death while the machines press on.
>>
>>124950292
>had an action plan all setup for it.

No shit, they're fucking ROBOTS. Why would they give a single, absolute fuck in a million billion fucking years if they don't have access to solar power? They don't need to fucking eat. There are better sources of energy than solar power (like apparently humans? somehow?)

The backstory to the Matrix is so fucking stupid.
>>
>>124950292
>A broken human is as good as a resource to them as a healthy one.

There's no way he would have survived that. I just assumed that frame was intended for gathering corpses and tech for study.
>>
>>124950345
They presumably wouldn't suffer as much from the drawbacks of nuclear power as organic lifeforms do. They could have easily turned to that.
>>
>>124950292
It is stunning really.
>thus did man become the architect of his own demise
You cannot out process a computer, we already have computers that can process millions of times faster than we can. Now, imagine if we could engineer an evolving intelligence in them?

I'm headed to bed. Great thread. Goodnight everyone!
>>
>>124950345
>like apparently humans? somehow?
I've heard that the original idea was to have humans kept alive to form some sort of giant thinking machine out of their combined brains, but they were forced to change it.
>>
File: frodo.png (160 KB, 266x304) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
160 KB, 266x304
>sustained nuclear bombardment of machine city
>lol but robuts are immune to heat so nothing happened!
>>
>>124950391
They wouldn't fave any real downsides to using any modern forms of energy as they don't really require agriculture in order to exist.

>>124950408
It really feels like there was a disconnect between the first movie and the rest of the franchise.
>>
>>124950292
>What is a human when compared with a machine?
Goodness I love pondering about questions such as these. Reminds me of one of the memorable quotes from one of my favorite books, Genesis by Bernard Beckett:

“I am not a machine. For what can a machine know of the smell of wet grass in the morning, or the sound of a crying baby? I am the feeling of the warm sun against my skin; I am the sensation of a cool wave breaking over me. I am the places I have never seen, yet imagine when my eyes are closed. I am the taste of another's breath, the color of her hair. You mock me for the shortness of my life span, but it is this very fear of dying which breathes life into me. I am the thinker who thinks of thought. I am curiosity, I am reason, I am love, and I am hatred. I am indifference. I am the son of a father, who in turn was a father’s son. I am the reason my mother laughed and the reason my mother cried. I am wonder and I am wondrous. Yes, the world may push your buttons as it passes through your circuitry. But the world does not pass through me. It lingers. I am in it and it is in me. I am the means by which the universe has come to know itself. I am the thing no machine can ever make. I am meaning.”
>>
>>124950345
>No shit, they're fucking ROBOTS. Why would they give a single, absolute fuck in a million billion fucking years if they don't have access to solar power? They don't need to fucking eat. There are better sources of energy than solar power (like apparently humans? somehow?)
Well they needed an artificial barrier at one point for them to be weak in one place for plot to take place for the movie. Originally human brains were suppose to be used as some sort of co-processes that allowed them to operate at larger levels. In the end they were told to dumb down the script so normal people would understand.

>>124950395
Singularity would happen. Gn
>>
>>124950414
It's almost like highly advanced robots who over-turned humans thought up a highly advanced shield. Seeing as Dark Could didn't do shit.

Too bad they couldn't think up an electricity shield.
>>
I love that Neil Gaiman story about that dude being grown by the machines at an accelerated rate to fight aliens, even when it doesn't fit with the series' continuity.
>>
>>124950414
I'm assuming that by that era, machine frames alloys were advanced enough for heat not to be an especially dangerous thing. Plus 01 was show to be a giant metal city, to which Nuke would be fairly ineffective against.

That's not really my area of expertise, and I probably sound like a dumb ass due to an inability to explain properly, but that's an explainable issue.
>>
>>124950478
>co-processes
Fucking spell check that should be coprocessor.
>>
I don't think I've sat through it since the first time I watched it and I don't think I would again. I wasn't even that young, I was 20 when it came out, but certain parts were just too much. I almost watched the part linked in this thread but quit a few seconds in.
>>
>>124950454

Cool quote, might check out that book while I work throught my "backlog."

It has been said before that human brain seems unique in that it is rather interested in investigating itself. Through philosophy and even scientific examinations of neurology. I guess wondering how we work is an essential part of self awareness, I wonder if a machine could ever look at its own circuitry with curiosity.
>>
>>124950539
The whole things on Netflix.
>>
>>124950006
I wish they'd come up with a better explanation for the fucked up surface than the burning the sky thing. It's always ruined my suspension of disbelief a bit.
>>
>>124950519
>>124950478

They really should have just made it so that the machines so that the machines were keeping humans alive inside the Matrix because the planet had gotten so fucked up that it was uninhabitable, and the only reason they cared about the people in Zion was because they were threatening to destroy the whole system.

Like that would actually be cool and interesting but instead, somehow, people produce more energy than they consume. Top lol.
>>
>>124950539
It's intended to be gruesome, anon, so don't think anything of it. Screaming Soldier still makes me feel ill, and it's been a decade since I've seen it.
>>
>>124950515
A sustained bombardment of nukes would utterly unmake anything unfortunate enough to be there. Being inexplicably immune to them (and the EMPs, the main method used against them hundreds of years later) is a glaring asspull but the rest of the animation is so great you just have to shut your brain down for that one part.
>>
>>124950575
Originally the script had machines using humans as a computer network, which would've made more sense than that battery explanation.
>>
>>124950573
>machines burning through any natural resources way faster than humans
>no sun, fucking up the surface
>buildings and machinery taking over everything
>absolutely zero mind for environment preservation
>radiation
>run-off
etc

It's not hard to extrapolate from.
>>
>>124950556
I guarantee you, you'll enjoy the book. I finished the book in one sitting. It catches and pokes at your curiosity, leaving you always thirsty for more that by the time you realize it, you're already flipping through the last pages.

It really begs the question: What exactly does it mean to be human?
>>
>>124950591
It would be more worrisome when screaming soldier stops making us feel upset. I'm not much into musing about how video games and movies turn people into killers, but they certainly trivialize death. I say this because death often doesn't have much of an impact in films/games/whathaveyou as a result.
>>
>>124950645
Right, there are plenty of reasonable explanations for it. That one in particular loses the element of "the humans brought it upon themselves", but I'm sure you could come up with something.
>>
>>124950706
It could just be a man made disaster that fucks the planet up and makes the robots decide that it's humanity or them.
>>
File: wpid-3.png (3 MB, 1920x1036) Image search: [Google]
wpid-3.png
3 MB, 1920x1036
>>124950454
What if we had cyberbrains like in Ghost in the Shell? They had the ability to cyberize your brain up to 97.5% Kind of crazy when you think about the implications of replacing your brain tissue a cell at a time with nano-machines.
>>
>>124950953
I think the subjective and objection confliction would probably literally fry some people.
Would be a pretty neat premise.
>>
>>124950953
It's the Ship of Theseus, a famous paradox.

When you think about it, though, there isn't much separating a human from a machine, other than the fact that we typically don't build computers out of biological components.
>>
>>124950953
your brain eventually does it to yourself, you are already 100% different from the you of when you were born so i'd nanomachine my brain in a heartbeat
>>
>>124950953
Cyberbrains would be a dream for certain people. Not happy with the body you were born with? Get a new one. Want to be a girl? Sure.

Sounds fun, but tossing away your biological body for something manufactured doesn't sit well with me. As much as I love GITS., I've never been a fan of body modification unless it is replacement of damaged or broken "parts," like prosthetic limbs.
>>
File: World_Record_-_on_marks.jpg (61 KB, 1020x433) Image search: [Google]
World_Record_-_on_marks.jpg
61 KB, 1020x433
Free...
>>
>>124951197
Worst short.
>>
File: kaiba.jpg (303 KB, 1500x2121) Image search: [Google]
kaiba.jpg
303 KB, 1500x2121
>>124951003
Say you are the captain of a boat. You travel from port to port, but before you go you replace something on your ship. Each time you come to a different port you select a different piece to replace. After you get done with the easy things like your chair and desk you move onto harder and harder things. Think of things like the planks of the deck or hull? Perhaps the mast? Every fucking piece of it down to the nails. In the end you end up replacing all of it.

Is it the same ship?

>>124951108
I hope I got it right in my other reply.

>>124951110
As would I.

>>124951134
Go look up Kaiba
>>
>>124951274
Well easing into like that, obviously would solve the problem.
>>
File: deeeldo.jpg (10 KB, 211x212) Image search: [Google]
deeeldo.jpg
10 KB, 211x212
>>124951197
>Nigga ran so fast he outran the matrix
Shieeeeet
>>
>>124951630
I thought it was like Morpheus said during training that you could bend the rules of the matrix and when the athlete did he became aware of the matrix.
>>
>>124946280
I love that Kids Next Door did an entire episode in reference to this
>>
People have already posted most of the spooky parts that gave us chills.

I just wonder if most people saw it when they were 11-13 like me? I remember my logic thinking it would be like a cartoon matrix and instead I just had existential nightmares for a few days. I am really glad I saw it then though, I think it actually influenced the way I see animation early on.

If you haven't seen >>124950502 make sure to check it out. It's a fucking fantastic story.
>>
>>124946280
I hated it, the animation style changed every scene, and the story felt a bit edgelord.

Kids story, World Record, Beyond, and Matriculated were the stand outs for me.
>>
in matriculated she screams because robots were always friendly towards humanity
>>
I love it, but the scenes regarding the machines being persecuted feel so cringe worthy. Especially that blatant Tiananmen Square plug with the robot being crushed by the tank. It all feels so masturbatory and over preachy.

Why did they call it the 'Second Renaissance' in verse anyway? Is it just because revolution seemed too generic?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.