[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, in another Eva thread I talked sporadically with another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
So, in another Eva thread I talked sporadically with another /a/non who recommended that after I finished End of Evangelion, I do the following.

What the fuck did I just watch? Seriously. I've been on acid before, I've used copious amounts of shrooms, I've even done LSD.

This is the worst trip I've ever had and I'm as sober as I have ever been.
>>
>>118283978
I caught a fish this big.
>>
>>118283978
nope, you're exaggerating like a schoolgirl.
>>
Holy shit anon, you need to expand beyond normalfag movies. EoE barely registers on the wtf scale.

Shinji started Instrumentality, decided he didn't like it, and aborted that shit. All the weirdness in between was just artistic expression
>>
LSD and acid are the samething. No wonder you couldn't perceive evangelion's symbolism.
>>
>>118283978
>/a/non recommended that I do the following
>starts wtfdijw thread

>mfw people reply anyway
>mfw I just replied myself
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>118284408
Awh, did that nigga set me up?

Bitch, I trusted you..
>>
File: 1414003290300.jpg (592 KB, 4099x1171) Image search: [Google]
1414003290300.jpg
592 KB, 4099x1171
>>118283978
My advice; watch this set of 3 videos by Demolition D, starting with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfM3WjyCt8s&list=UUcAvljdM2NMdMYq_pvT9pBw

It doesn't explain everything, and skims over some parts, but it allows you to get a grasp of the themes and symbolism. After you've done that, get the platinum edition (Director's cut episodes) and EoE, and rewatch. I did that, and NGE is now up in my top 5.

Also, just to clarify, the last 2 eps of NGE take place after Third Impact, while everyone is tang. He realizes the cruel appeal of humanity is the gratification of having friendships despite the intrinsic barriers that separate us all from understanding and empathizing.

Also, pic for some extra explanation. Hope this helps.
>>
>>118283978
>EoE

It's deprecated. There is no point in talking about it.
>>
>>118283978
Even if we were to believe you, how do you think those two relate? Evangelion is convoluted and weird but it's actually really consistent and has a firm structure. Acid trips have no consistency to them, you loose track of you thoughts and there is no coherence.
>>
>>118283978
Ask any questions you have one at a time and I'll answer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g

Watch this.

If and when you rewatch eva, you'll find that you enjoy it a whole lot more, because you aren't confused out of your mind looking for details that the series and movie didn't include.
>>
>implying doing acid and LSD prepares you for Anno
That was your mistake, normalfag.
>>
>>118285706
I think I kind of get it for the most part. Between the Eva explained in 7 min and just shit I remembered from intermittent Toonami watchings, I think I got it.

Human Instrumentality is the absolution of AT fields, forcing everyone to become orange kool-aid and co-exist in personalized utopias as a collective while the rejection of this puts them back onto fucking.. Rei-face Earth with Asuka and Shinji. 25 and 26 of the anime were, when not retconned, Shinji struggling with acceptance of the Human Instrumentality. You can either slap that in there before he rejects it or just disregard it.

I mean it makes.. sense, I guess. Just the imagery fucks with me on a spiritual level.
>>
>>118286446
A lot of people disregard the religious symbols etc as just there to look cool, I'm not saying that it has any other meaning than just aesthetics, but it really does create some incredibly strange and creepy imagery, moreso than just some made up symbols or more generic looking stuff.
>>
>>118286446
Human Instrumentality is the method through which the collapse of every AT-Field was accomplished. The sea of LCL isn't a personalized utopia - it's just nothing. Being inside of it is like not existing at all.

25&26 were never retconned. They're the same sequence of events as EoE starting from the end of the Tumbling Down sequence but told in a very different way.

Eva's imagery is very important to understanding the show. If you'd like I can explain that in more detail.
>>
>>118287246
Please.
>>
>>118287332
There are multiple visual motifs NGE uses it explain certain things that happen or how certain characters are feeling. The most prominent of these include the Cross, the Right Hand, and the Water Droplet.

The Cross represents a conflict in a character's identity.
The Right Hand represents a character's affirmation of identity and purpose/desires.
The Water Droplet is a visual queue that lets the audience know when a character enters or leaves LCL.

The Cross confuses a lot of Eva's western audience because they grew up in the west. The meaning behind the cross in Eva is not religious at all. It was only used because it's a spiritual symbol that the Japanese audience wouldn't associate with Shinto. It was important that the imagery used in Eva get a religious feeling across and it simply didn't translate well over in the west.

This kind of usage of religious imagery and terminology happens all the time in media but you don't notice it because you didn't grow up with those religions. If you're confused I can give you some examples.
>>
>>118283978
there are people who still care about evangelion?
it doesn't mean anything. it's just made to impress ignorant teenagers about how deep it is.
It's just fucking shit.
It's in the same level as naruto
>>
>>118287892
Shinji, this isn't Asuka's bedside.
>>
>>118287892
No Naruto is much better
>>
>>118283978
>I caught a fish THIIIIIIIIIIIS big!
>>
>>118284408
>this kong
>>
I keep telling myself I just missed the boat on NGE and will skip it but threads like this pop up literally everyday. I guess it if holds that big of an influence still it has to be somewhat worthwhile

Is there a recommended order to watch the everything?
>>
>>118284321

Underrated post.
>>
>>118289834
TV series > EoE > Rebuilds

Death & Rebirth is just a recap.
>>
>>118284321
Not really, LSD is more visual while shrooms are more spiritual.
>>
>>118289834
The original series (eps. 1-26, the director's cut) + End of Evangelion
The Rebuilds are rated controversially, and they're not over yet, so decide later if you want to watch them.
>>
>>118287807
Not who you're responding to, but I would say that this is a very interesting interpretation. When I watched through NGE while looking for the themes and imagery, I assumed the cross' and other religious mentions were to do with the fact that Third Impact was 'saving' or 'redeeming' humanity from their sins.
>>
>>118289834
Episodes 1-24 then End of Evangelion for cinematic experience. Episodes 25 & 26 are confusing without proper context and spoil the ending of the movie.

If you don't care about spoilers and watching events in sequence then the watch order would be episodes 1-26 then End of Evangelion.

Make sure you watch the Director's Cut versions of episodes 21-24.

Death & Rebirth is a recap movie that was released before EoE to remind audiences of all the shit that happened in the series. You don't need to watch it.

The Rebuild movies are (probably) non-canon and can be watched for shits and giggles once you've seen everything else.
>>
>>118289834

I'm so jealous of people like you. You still can experience NGE for the first time.
>>
So why did he try to strangle asuka? I didn't get that.
I mean, the entire ending... the entire show was confusing, but...
>>
>>118287246
>The sea of LCL isn't a personalized utopia - it's just nothing. Being inside of it is like not existing at all.

It's a unified consciousness. Being inside it is like being intimately connected to all life on earth.
>>
>>118290355
I get most of what's judged confusing in Evangelion, and love the show for it. But I still don't get this. I thought he was at peace after the LCL dream. Was it to reaffirm he wasn't in a fantasy land? But if that was true, why did he stop when she caressed him, wouldn't that confirm that they were dreaming?
>>
>>118290355

There's a lot of debate and discussion about this. I think that Shinji was simply past his breaking point and being rejected AGAIN was just too much for him. His greatest desire is to be loved, but he cannot even love himself. Notice how he stops strangling her at the end when she gently caresses his cheek. In short: An insane Shinji basically has the attitude "either love me or I'll kill you!"
>>
File: Episode 16.png (71 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
Episode 16.png
71 KB, 704x528
>>118290148
The cross symbolism is actually presented visually in episode sixteen, but in a way that most people don't catch even after repeated viewings.

When Shinji fades into the LCL he discusses how his identity is influenced by the perceptions of the people around him. The vertical line represents Shinji's perception of himself and the horizontal line represents other people's perception of Shinji. When the two lines intersect they form a cross and distort. It's a visual representation of how other people's opinions influence Shinji's view of himself.

>>118290355
>>118290464
Shinji tries to strangle Asuka for the same reason he tried to strangle her the first time. He's angry and he doesn't know how to interact with her. He's lashing out the same way she lashes out at him. When she caresses his cheek with her right hand Shinji realizes that she needs him and so he stops. To understand that bit you'd need to understand the symbolism of the right hand.

>>118290415
It's a unified consciousness in that everyone is the same. There is no interaction with anyone or anything. There is no stimulus. It's peaceful, but not happy or sad.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.