[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
personal connection with people who don't exist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Has anyone ever experienced forming an emotional attachment to someone who doesn't actually exist? Develop strong feelings for someone they've met in a dream? Lives a lifetime in a dream?

I've met people I grew attached to in dreams that never existed. When I was younger I dreamt of a red headed girl that I felt an intense connection to. I remember being depressed that she wasn't "real", that she was just a product of the dream realm and my imagination, and it took a bit to actually get over this fact
>>
Lurk /a/
>>
File: 1308714176851.jpg (110 KB, 733x1090) Image search: [Google]
1308714176851.jpg
110 KB, 733x1090
>>17930165
>Has anyone ever experienced forming an emotional attachment to someone who doesn't actually exist?
Go to a Star Wars convention. One of MANY examples of people getting way too attached to fictional characters.
>>
>>17930265
Lol

And not really OP, although i do find myself infatuated with a girl I've only met once three years ago. Something about her is otherworldly, if you saw her you'd know what I mean
>>
>>17930165
They say that everyone you see in your dreams you have seen in real life.
>>
For the starts I'd like to mention that I'm a married adult with a children and friends. I do suffer from a mental health disorder which, however, does not cause any hallucinations or false beliefs. I am well aware of the real world around me and it's differences to the experiences my brain produces.

Despite this, or maybe because of all this, my mind has offered me several warm and attached relationships with fictional people over the years. I do not "hallucinate" any of these people but I'm able to vividly sense "their" thoughts (which I can tell apart from "my own"), their emotions and histories, even their discussions with each other. Sometimes I dream of these characters, but mostly they "appear" to me when I'm doing something by myself. For example while taking walks, sitting in a bus and spending long, enjoyable crafting or writing sessions I'm capable of enjoying their company.
>>
>>17930323
I have to make this one thing clear: from the start, I have known these "people" are products of my imagination. Their "presence" is a voluntary choice and I can choose to not think about them any further, which will instatly "remove" them from my thoughts in the same way we can push away other thoughts that are not needed or wanted at the moment. My characters, as I call them, do not "cause disturbance". They don't express any thoughts or opinions that would make me uncomfortable, don't suggest harmful things etc. They just excist, discussing and often giving respecting and thoughtful viewpoints and guidance. While "discussing" with them, I often gain the feeling of emotional support and find new solutions to problems.

These relationships, even though they have developed deep and important through the years, could not and are not replacing my relationships with real, living people. I also have no belief that it would be possible for tehm to "become real", nor would I want such possibility. This phenomenon, though a little atypical, is something I've found to be an useful tool and a good method of processing emotions, problems and thoughts
>>
>>17930265
>>17930276
I'm not talking about fictional characters-rather people who exist on different realms or in different realities if they exist at all. Kinda similar to the concept of the Roy game in Rick and Morty in that an entire lifetime turns out to be a game, an illusion, a mere falsity

For lack of a better source right now, here's a leddit thread illustating what I'm talking about

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/oc7rc/have_you_ever_felt_a_deep_personal_connection_to/c3g4ot3
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.