[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop for university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: precision-m4500-overview-1.jpg (52 KB, 603x440) Image search: [Google]
precision-m4500-overview-1.jpg
52 KB, 603x440
Hey guys,
I've been looking to buy a laptop for uni.
I'm going to study engineering, and I've heard people say you need a decent laptop with a dedicated gpu. I've been looking for a few hours but all I see is reviews for thin ultrabooks, which sometimes have a dedicated gpu, but don't really seem durable, have shitty keyboards and overheat most of the time. Expensive workstations look like they pack the punch I need, but they don't have any reviews, so I know nothing about them. I will also have to carry my laptop with me most of the time, which makes me lean towards the thin ultrabooks more. Is there anything, perhaps a nice balance between thinness and power, you guys can recommend for me? Budget doesn't matter.
>>
I can give you recommendations on what not to buy....namely anything HP. They overheat way too much and you'll find yourself with a glorified paper weight like I did.

Also if you're going to be running around uni, you shouldn't probably have a thin one. My current one is thickish but you can't really feel it once you put it in your bag.
>>
>>96416
Which HP model was it?
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>96422
HP 15-r017dx Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

I just needed something simple for school work and then it burnt up and burned out the wireless driver. When I was looking around to see what the problem was though at first I found out that overheating seemed to be a common issue for HP laptops.
>>
>>96407
Try this.
http://www.lappylist.com/
Should give a wide range of things for you to consider at at different price points.
>>
>>96446
Thanks!
>>
>>96416
I'll take that into consideration when choosing, thanks.
>>
File: hp.jpg (29 KB, 430x343) Image search: [Google]
hp.jpg
29 KB, 430x343
>>96437
I have a dv6 and also had problems with overheating after some years of owning the laptop. I looked it up and tried one recommendation on youtube where the guy simply lowered the power setting on the cpu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkxcO0kfhGY

Unfortunately, there's still the issue of the fan getting incredibly loud when the cpu does put in substantial work. Unless I choose the lowest setting on coolsense, the fan would kick even doing simple tasks like using a browser.
>>
>>96407
Anything by MSI. i5 + dedicated gpu will rock. Ignore i7 because the price difference is not worth it.
>>
Question for a tech savvy anon. I'm in the middle of my first build and everything is finished I'm just routing the pci-e cables to the gpu. So, stupid fucking question: for a card that has two 8 pin slots do I need to run two cables or can I just use both 6+2 found on one of the cables.

Be gentle, I'm new assembly.
>>
>>96681
You need to run two cables, that's why there's two connectors.

If it only needed eight wires, it would only have eight sockets; it's got sixteen sockets and it needs sixteen actual wires.
>>
>>96407
Im studying mechanical engineering and I use an asus that was aobut 1000€. It runs smoothly, has a great graphic card for 3d modeling and such. It is quite sturdy, made of aluminium and still quite light enough for carrying around.
>>
>>96685
Well I mean the wire has 16 prongs. The thing is it's awkward to get bot 6+2 connectors situated to where they both fit. And I won't be closing my case if I do it this way.

Is the proper way to use the one wire or just use two 6+2's and leave the other wires unplugged
>>
>>96690
>Is the proper way to use the one wire
No, the proper way is to use two wires.

It doesn't have sixteen conductors to piss you off, it has sixteen conductors because it needs sixteen conductors.
>>
>>96692
But one wire has sixteen conductors. I'm telling you I can get all 16 ports plugged with one wire or two. What I'm asking is one way better than the other? Does it matter? Is leaving two 6+2 pins unplugged fine to do?
>>
>>96694
If it has sixteen individual wires, each taking their own individual routes from one single connector on the GPU to one single connector on the PSU, then fine. It's the weirdest connector I've ever heard of, but it will work.

If it has eight individual wires going from the PSU to an eight-pin connector, then eight more wires going from that eight-pin connector to another eight-pin connector, then it will go on fire.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.