[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend has this motherboard in a build and when he tries to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: ss+(2016-04-06+at+11.49.13).jpg (149 KB, 963x419) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-06+at+11.49.13).jpg
149 KB, 963x419
My friend has this motherboard in a build and when he tries to boot it up the screen is just black, no bios no splash screen nothing. He's tried two different video cards, he's tried swapping out the ram, to no avail. Would flashing the BIOS possibly help? He says he has to reboot 30 times before it shows anything on screen (which has been getting worse over time) It's not a monitor issue as he's tried multiple monitors.
>>
>>95758
No errorcodes on mobo itself?
>>
>>95760
No display on mobo, no beeping either.
>>
>>95758
>He says he has to reboot 30 times before it shows anything
Does this mean he can get it to boot sometimes?

Also: specs?
>>
>>95764
yes he can get it to boot sometimes.
some socket 2011 ivy bridge i7, not sure which
gtx 680
16GB ddr3
128GB ssd + 500GB ssd
and mobo in op pic.
>>
>>95767
Made sure the CPU power connector is properly plugged in?

>Would flashing the BIOS possibly help?
Doesn't sound like a BIOS problem
>>
>>95758
Could be a lose connector or a dying/weak PSU which can't supply enough power. What happens when tying to boot with onboard graphics?
>>
>>95818
motherboard doesn't support onboard graphics, but when changing to a different video card same thing.
>>
>>95758
I've had that happen to me once.

Tell him to try a different PSU. I don't know why, but one time I changed my PSU, that happened, and had to change it again for it to work properly.
>>
File: 1388959172518.jpg (8 KB, 299x185) Image search: [Google]
1388959172518.jpg
8 KB, 299x185
case better not have this kind of standoff
>>
File: 1448078451762.jpg (25 KB, 353x330) Image search: [Google]
1448078451762.jpg
25 KB, 353x330
just asking for trouble
>>
>>95818
>>96198
he's switching PSU's now.
>>
alright even with a different PSU same shit he says
>>
>>95758
that's precisely how I've destroyed my processor. bought a new motherboard, no signal, no nothing, videocard is working fine (fans are spinning), power supply is good. Turns out my dumb ass bought motherboard with a wrong socket and carelessly shoveled i7 into it, breaking both the motherboard and processor. I don't think you guys are as stupid as I am but consider checking it if there are no other options.
>>
>>96231
It used to work, so this is a non issue in this case. He is re-seating the processor and after that if it still doesn't work he says he's going to buy a new motherboard.
>>
re-seated processor, tried different psu, tried different video card, re-seated ram, tried only 1 stick of ram, tried different monitor, tried different monitor cables, tried putting video card in secondary pci-express slot, could the mobo be in need of repair? or possibly dead processor?
>>
>>95762
>no beeping either.
Did you actually plug a speaker in to the motherboard to get diagnostic BIOS beeps? As looking around the P9X79 does not come with a speaker built in.
>>
>>96284
thank you, he's looking into getting a 4pin mobo speaker now.
>>
>>95762
Are you 100% sure your mobo speaker is connected?
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-07+at+08.56.55).png (34 KB, 670x255) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-07+at+08.56.55).png
34 KB, 670x255
it gives six short beeps, this is the entire beep code chart included in the manual.
>>
>>96312
What's the BIOS?
>>
>>96315
64 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI BIOS, PnP, DMI 2.0, WfM 2.0,
SM BIOS 2.6, ACPI 2.0a,
Multi-language BIOS,
ASUS EZ Flash 2, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3

But as you can see there is no six beep code in the manual for this

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1vzCAGumS4Q
>>
>>96319
That's probably AMI BIOS.

6 short
- Gate A20 failure
- The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
>>
>>96321
alright, looks like we've got it solved then thanks a heap
>>
>>96322
>>96321
Yeah, no.

There is no keyboard controller anymore, and hasn't been since 1992.

Six beeps is generally "GPU hasn't booted", which is generally caused by the PSU being deficient, failing, or being connected wrong.
>>
>>96368
so this entire article is bullshit then and my friend just bought a new motherboard for nothing?
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/98685.aspx
Can you read? He'd tried 2 different PSU's.
>>
>>95767
is his name cody?
>>
>>96404
No.
>>
Did you guys try just turning it off and back on a few times fully set-up? When I finished my set-up it booted to a black screen and all I had to do was boot it up and back on six or seven times for it all to "click"
>>
>>96395
>this entire article is bullshit then
That entire article is bullshit.

Just because you found something on the hoverweb that agrees with the point you want to prove, doesn't mean it's correct.

There hasn't been (as the article alleges) a "keyboard controller chip" on a motherboard since before the 486. Anything even resembling a modern computer has emulated it in the northbridge.

Since the original Core, processors have had no "Gate A20" pin: the northbridge has sent A20 messages across the FSB the same way as any other type of message. Broadwell doesn't even support Gate A20 at all: the feature is completely removed.

As to your "friend"'s motherboard, I'm hesitant to discount him being a dumbass and not plugging in all his power connectors right.
>>
>>96430
we've tried different video cards, one that don't require power even.
>>
just tried with only cpu, heat sink fan, and psu plugged in and still got 6 short beeps. so it must be some chip on the mobo failing
>>
File: untitled-1.jpg (128 KB, 996x749) Image search: [Google]
untitled-1.jpg
128 KB, 996x749
>>96430
pic related, from the motherboard manual.

also cpu is not broadwell its ivy bridge.
>>
>>96312
Quick search and someone else with the deluxe version of the motherboard had the same kind of thing. Seems they fucked up and bent some of the pins on the processor socket. So you may want to check that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_AewbBhyJ0
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.