[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fun times with Windows 10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: windows-10.jpg (33 KB, 647x450) Image search: [Google]
windows-10.jpg
33 KB, 647x450
I stuck W10 on my new PC, because I'm a mad bastard.
Problem is, it keeps freezing when I leave it idle for about 15 minutes and have to hold the power button to shut it off.
Stuff I've tried:
>setting all the sleep options to "never"
>disabling all non-essential services
>defragging
>scan for viruses/malware
>drinking a lot of rum and yelling at it
None of these things have stopped the freezes and I'm out of ideas.
Is there something else I could try?
>>
Did the computer came with W10 or was it upgraded over W7?
>>
>>93185
Upgrade from W7.
>>
Yo what's your processor? Sounds like the freezes some people have mentioned using Skylake family cores.
>>
>>93196
It's a skylake alright, i7-6700k.
So, on a scale from 1 to absolutely fucked, how fucked am I?
>>
>>93199
Well, I really don't know. In all the things I've seen peopled seemed hopeful that it would be an issue resolved in later batches of the processors but speaking as a guy currently fucking with the same chip as you I haven't been fortunate enough to encounter this issue for my own knowledge. I would still rate that as absolutely fucked because I see it being a hard thing to argue a replacement for, proof that it's the processor and whatnot. Still though, it's Win10, you can hold on to hope that it's just the OS being shitty.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/220953-skylake-bug-causes-intel-chips-to-freeze-in-complex-workloads

Here's a good starting point, you can probably get further into the topic than I did after it piqued my interest on some web reviews.
>>
>>93226
Ok, I've found something that SEEMS to work for now.
I've upped the DRAM voltage by 0.05V.
I'll leave it for half an hour and then check back.
>>
>>93188
The old files from W7 are bloating W10, a clean install is always better.
>>
>>93231
Half an hout turned out be be quite a bit longer, because I fell asleep.
But in all this time it hasn't frozen!
>>
>>93180
install gentoo baka
>>
I'm with the anon above, I would reinstall Windows 10 through Settings. Sounds like you might not have wiped everything upon upgrade, and if so that would explain the slowdowns.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.