[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I watch Saki knowing only the very basics of mahjong or should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: saki-anime.jpg (76 KB, 1080x593) Image search: [Google]
saki-anime.jpg
76 KB, 1080x593
Can I watch Saki knowing only the very basics of mahjong or should I learn and play a bit more to enjoy it to the fullest?
>>
Watch Akagi first.
>>
>>92817
Ok, it was on my backlog anyway.

The same question applies though, should I learn more about mahjong before watching?
>>
>>92818
Just read up on the basic rules. You don't need to be an expert to get that Akagi is amazing.
>>
It might go over your head a bit. If you want to learn mahjong I suggest checking this site out:

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

It's an online mahjong game where you play against computers, and also has an explanation of the rules and how hands work.

Everything on this page should be enough that you can follow Saki easily.
>>
>>92808
Absolutely.

Actually, if you do know mahjong, you might get annoyed at all the bullshit.

That said, just learn the basics. You'll only lose 10 minutes or so (though to actually git gud, you'll lose years).
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
>>
File: PointsTable.png (21 KB, 787x525) Image search: [Google]
PointsTable.png
21 KB, 787x525
>>93081
Oh, also, this is the scoring system. You don't need to learn it to understand Saki (though it definitely helps when it comes to understanding the rarity of some hands and what the characters need to score to come out from behind and whatnot), but I'm leaving it here anyway.

Of course, you do need to learn it if you're gonna play IRL, and for advanced online playing (for example, to know how much you'll need to come from behind, even if the computer calculates the score for you).

The link in my previous post describes the han (written as "fan" there) you get per yaku. Here's how you count the fu:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_scoring_rules#Counting_fu
>>
File: ep11.jpg (73 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ep11.jpg
73 KB, 640x360
>>93087
Ah, third post in a row. But fuck it.

The list of yaku is kinda... not that nice in the gamedesign link, but the list at the wikipedia is great.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_yaku

By the way, if anyone who plays mahjong is reading this: Suto Ririka (Riripon) from NMB has a mahjong show, and it's great. She sucks hard, but seeing her (and Maokyun's) improvement is one of the things that make it fun. It's had guests like FKMT, Kenji Mutoh and Kana Ueda (Saki's VA), as well as countless japanese comedians. And the narrator is the #2 mahjong pro in the world. Do check it out if you speak moon.

Pic related. It's educational too, though only after like 10 episodes.
>>
File: mfw ptsd.png (725 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mfw ptsd.png
725 KB, 1280x720
Thanks for help anons. Currently on ep 7 of Akagi, it's pretty awesome, though I'm overwhelmed by their shenanigans.

also playing this flash mahjong you posted, but I won't hide I'm getting my ass kicked for now.
>>
>>93151
>I won't hide I'm getting my ass kicked for now.
Welcome to mahjong.

The KUYASHII is not only real, but an everyday thing. But then again, so is the TANOSHII.
>>
>>93151
The computer cheats, they go for shit hands and end up scoring hanemans with doras and other purely luck based han.
>>
>>93202
>he can't beat the simple as fuck gamedesign AI and has to bitch about luck multipliers
Don't ever play arcade strip mahjong, or you'll pop a vein. Or the Saki PSP vidya. Or the vast majority of GBA mahjong games.

THAT is cheating.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.