[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /wsr/ think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: world war crow.png (180 KB, 862x911) Image search: [Google]
world war crow.png
180 KB, 862x911
Drunk writer here - opened GDocs, this shit happened. Keep story, abort character? Keep character, abort story? Kill whole thing? Pic unrelated but epic as all getout

The whole sordid saga began the day I met him. I walked very slowly down the sidewalk, trees brushing my hair as I passed below their hanging branches. This season, petals and leaves flew on tiny whirlwinds, passing ethereally through my life and into lands and adventures unknown. I couldn’t help but smile at the beauty of it all - it tickled my soul, if you catch my drift. The thin red scarf that I wore mostly for looks trailed behind my long hair in the gusts. The scarf wound up betraying me, though - on my way to the community center, it caught on an errant tree branch and I felt a sudden tension on my neck. Two weeks of amateur-level Tai Chi lessons had taught me all I needed to know and instinct kicked in. I screamed, twisted and writhed, then collapsed in a tangled heap as I tried in vain to escape the demonic scarf’s clutches. In the interest of full disclosure, reader, I should note that my adversary, the scarf, only bested me after seven shots of tequila and a glass of scotch, as well as a rather large blunt, had all had their savage way with me. To say that I’m an addict would be… well, inaccurate, perhaps. In any case, I felt strong hands lift me and unwrap my neck, freeing me from the evil scarf’s grasp. Rosy-cheeked and slightly less dressed, I turned to face my savior. By turned, of course, I mean I drunkenly stumbled into his arms like a college girl who was, by some miracle, still a virgin at the ripe old age of twenty and had just spotted a hot, clean or otherwise passable male through her drunken haze. I still remember those first words, his hot breath dancing on my lips. “Miss, are you okay? Do you need nine-one-one called?”
>>
I don't have any constructive criticism, but the paragraph didn't grab me at all.
>>
>>92752
OP here, sober now. You're right, it reads like a 12 year old trying to write Danielle Steele. Thanks for the reply either way lol
>>
>>92741
Could be better. I'm not a writer, though, so I don't have any real advice.
>>
>>92741
The biggest issue you have here is that there are 3-4 paragraphs present within what you wrote that could be expanded upon.

>The whole sordid saga began the day I met him. I walked very slowly down the sidewalk, trees brushing my hair as I passed below their hanging branches. This season, petals and leaves flew on tiny whirlwinds, passing ethereally through my life and into lands and adventures unknown. I couldn’t help but smile at the beauty of it all - it tickled my soul, if you catch my drift.

Right here is fine as-is, though I would definitely ease up on a lot of the giddy, flowery imagery. It's fine to include, but you're drowning out the reader's attention with your own affectations. I can clearly see the kind of character that's being presented here, but you can add more details to this (time? year? location? etc.) that will make your flowery words saturate the mechanical details of the story less, and make their happiness pop a little more.

>The thin red scarf that I wore mostly for looks trailed behind my long hair in the gusts. The scarf wound up betraying me, though - on my way to the community center, it caught on an errant tree branch and I felt a sudden tension on my neck. Two weeks of amateur-level Tai Chi lessons had taught me all I needed to know and instinct kicked in. I screamed, twisted and writhed, then collapsed in a tangled heap as I tried in vain to escape the demonic scarf’s clutches. In the interest of full disclosure, reader, I should note that my adversary, the scarf, only bested me after seven shots of tequila and a glass of scotch, as well as a rather large blunt, had all had their savage way with me. To say that I’m an addict would be… well, inaccurate, perhaps.

Here's another one. Characterization, an action, backstory, etc. This one is also fine, but do a little more detail work on it. This is significantly better than the first paragraph, but note that they don't have to be one single paragraph.
>>
>>92921
> In any case, I felt strong hands lift me and unwrap my neck, freeing me from the evil scarf’s grasp. Rosy-cheeked and slightly less dressed, I turned to face my savior. By turned, of course, I mean I drunkenly stumbled into his arms like a college girl who was, by some miracle, still a virgin at the ripe old age of twenty and had just spotted a hot, clean or otherwise passable male through her drunken haze. I still remember those first words, his hot breath dancing on my lips. “Miss, are you okay? Do you need nine-one-one called?”

Lastly, here's this one. For the female lead, it should have its own emphasis that she is being picked up and carried away by whatever bear lumberjack you are trying to portray, not as an afterthought to the rest of the day. Fill this up with images based on what she's seeing beyond the fact that he's "hot, clean, or otherwise passable". What's this guy wearing? What's his hair look like? Is he wearing any notable accessories? Does he have tattoos or other markings? Just give us some details for this positively-minded woman.

Also, is this supposed to be literotica? Because unless this leads directly to sex, I'd advise you slow things down dramatically on the romantic elements here. I get that this character is flustered after having been picked up by a handsome man, but these details would be better reflected in a flashback rather than being directly in-the-moment feelings. For now, you should just focus on making sure this character is introduced to the reader properly and, assuming he's actually very relevant to the plot, is thoroughly detailed and crystal clear. We don't want some random faggot who has a vague image in our minds, we want to know exactly who it is we should be imagining.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.