[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help with a digital circuit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: untitled.png (86 KB, 520x471) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
86 KB, 520x471
I need help with a final project, I need to make a circuit with whatever of these IC:

At least two of them in the same circuit, for my class of Digital II. I found pic related, but I think it's too simple for a final project, can someone suggest me a more complicated circuit (but not that complicated, I need to build it for wednesday) or at least make the one in pic related more complex? Remember that I need to use any of the other IC listed above, I can get one or two more, but they can't be hard to get.
>>
It's been an hour and no one has said shit. Time to Savage this thread.
>>
>7485
This has the ability to compare two 4 bit words and output a>b, a<b, or a=b. Has the ability to cascade for longer words.

>74193
This is a 4 bit binary counter. It has the ability to count up with pulses to the UP pin, and down with pulses to the DOWN pin. Has the ability to cascade. Each bit can be set manually.

>74153
This is a multiplexer. It can receive 4 data inputs, and with a 2 bit selector, decide which one to output. The chip has another 4 inputs and another output, but you probably won't use those.

>74153
This chip can preform 4 bit arithmetic functions (such as A plus B plus 1) or logical functions (such as [AB]'). There are two 4 bit inputs, and a 4 bit output. There's caries for cascading, and setting pins you probably should hardwire.

>7414
This is a chip with 4 not gates.

You can make a parallel to serial converter. Connect the multiplexer to the 4 or 8 inputs. Connect the two least significant digits of the counter to the multiplexer selectors. If you have 8 inputs, get another multiplexer and connect it to the outputs of the first multiplexer, with the third least significant digit of the counter and ground for the selectors. Connect the counter to a clock, and it will read the inputs one at a time to the output of the second multiplexer.
You just need to send a signal when the clock reaches 7 or 15.
>>
I get everything except the "connect the multiplexer to the 4 or 8 inputs", can you post a circuit to explain it better?
>>
File: serveimage.gif (9 KB, 507x469) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.gif
9 KB, 507x469
>>117414
Sorry, I don't have any design software. Here's a design that takes 13 inputs.

You should have 8 data ports. If you have 4, you have a much simpler circuit (with just one multiplexer).
If you have 8, connect data lines 0 - 3 to the chip inputs 1C0 - 1C4. Connect data lines 4 - 7 to inputs 2C0 - 2C4. You have two outputs, 1Y and 2Y. Connect those to a different multiplexer chip, probably at 1C0 and 1C1.
Ideally, your circuit should conform to some standard, and send an acknowledgement signal, but it's not necessary.
>>
File: 74193.gif (6 KB, 351x302) Image search: [Google]
74193.gif
6 KB, 351x302
>>117461
Got it, then just a dip switch works as the 8 data ports?

And just to be sure, the least significant digits of the 74193 are QC and QD, right?
>>
>>117477
I was mistaken about the chip. Apparently it counts from 0 to 9 instead of 0 to 15. So make sure to clear it when it reaches 8.
Also, QA and QB are the least significant.
>>
>>117480
What? No, 74193 counts to 15, 74192 counts to 9, I have used them before.
>>
Wait, what's the final output? How do I know it worked and converted the parallel to serial?
>>
Since you use switches as inputs, don't you use lights (LEDs in series with a resistor) as outputs?
I don't know the terms of your assignment.
>>
>>117832
Yes, so no way to make the output numbers on a 7 segment display unless I change the inputs, right?
>>
File: circuit.png (52 KB, 902x544) Image search: [Google]
circuit.png
52 KB, 902x544
I mean, I got this and it works fine, but I think the output as just a LED is too simple, isn't there a way to make the output better?
>>
>>117858
Testing it again, it doesn't work as good as I thought, it ignores all the 4 inputs from 2C0 to 2C3.

What's the issue here?
>>
>>117858
With both select lines grounded, U1 will only output 1X0. I would recommend you make sure it reads all 8 inputs.
Anyway, If you want to make a converter, a light output is fine. If you want to make it more complicated, you could add an acknowledgement signal or a switch to reset the clock. You could also make sure it only outputs eight clock cycles and then outputs a low until a reset.

If you just want to make the output more fancy, you could connect the output to a chain of latches. The desired result is a line of 8 LEDs, with the serial information moving along in a wave.
Get several latch chips (7475 or 74100 or what you have). Form two lines of 8 latches (so you need 4 7475 chips) Connect the serial output to the first D input in one line. Connect the first Q output to the first D input in the other line. Connect the other line's first Q to the second D input in the first line. Continue zigzagging like this.
You need a clock at a higher rate than the serial output, so shift the counter outputs up one to free the least significant output. Get out a not gate and two and gates. And the least significant output with the clock to get a signal that's high 1/4 the time. Connect the output of that and gate to all enable inputs of the first line of latches.
For the second line, we want an enable that's high 1/4 the time, and never high when the first line is enabled. Connect the least significant output to a not gate, then connect the output of the not gate and the clock to an and gate. Connect that and gate to all the enables of the second line of latches.
All you need to do at this point is connect 8 LEDs to the Q outputs of one of the lines.

Only work with the latches if you really want to. There's nothing wrong with one LED.
>>
>>117878
Sorry, the issue it that you connected Q2 of U3 to 1X2 of U1. It should be connected to A of U1.
>>
>>117903
Fixed.

>>117902
Ok, I'll see what I'll do with this. I know there is nothing wrong with one LED, but considering the latest projects so far had an output of 2 7-segment displays, the final project having an output of one LED is a bit underwhelming.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.