[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm trying to learn how to do some more advanced computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: rWu0kFq[1].jpg (299 KB, 1078x875) Image search: [Google]
rWu0kFq[1].jpg
299 KB, 1078x875
So I'm trying to learn how to do some more advanced computer shiz on my own, rather than relying solely on my tech-savvy friend. I do however still need a little guidance.

What I am trying to do is pretty simple, but I am not 100% confident I'm sure how to do it. My current situation is thus: I made the fatal error of purchasing a 30 gig SSD for my OS, because I am potato levels of stupid and thought that would be room enough. I generally now have about 30kb-20mb of free space, depending on how favorably Our Lord Megabyte looks upon me. To remedy this, I'm getting a 128 or 240 gig SSD tomorrow.

However, I don't want to migrate my OS. I did some other stupid shit with SymMover, trying to rectify my space situation, and it fucked up a couple save game locations, and now Pillars of Eternity is losing its goddamn mind. I backed up my drivers, and my intent is to do a fresh install of windows onto the new SDD, and I'll just use the backup drivers off my HDD to bring it back up to speed, and get my steam folders back where they need to be.

SO ONTO THE ACTUAL QUESTION: How can I do a fresh install of windows onto another drive all from my PC? It's actually a decently difficult question to word, but I assume you get my meaning. My friend did the initial install with a flash drive, but I don't feel I necessarily need to do it that way seeing as I have a perfectly functioning computer.
>>
>>92209
>My friend did the initial install with a flash drive, but I don't feel I necessarily need to do it that way seeing as I have a perfectly functioning computer
You do.

To install windows, or any OS for that matter, you need to load an installer from boot. I suppose you could make a bootable installer with your small ssd the same way you make one with a dongle, but you'll need to format your drive for this - and you'll lose all your data. And that is IF that can be done, I've never heard of such a thing.

Just get a $5 dongle man.
>>
>>92212
Excellent, that is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you very kindly.
>>
>>92212
I'm pretty sure you can run the Windows installer from inside Windows, select "clean install" instead of "upgrade", and then when it reboots you can select the new drive.
>>
>>92261
Yeah, but you still need the installer.
>>
>>92212
>2016
>Calling a flash drive a dongle.

>>92261
>>92263
I don't trust Windows to do ANYTHING, especially when it comes to managing multiple and/or existing drives. I'd recommend putting the installer on a flash drive and disconnecting the old SSD. Once your installation is done, reconnect the old drive(s).
>>
>>92267
>I don't trust Windows to do ANYTHING, especially when it comes to managing multiple and/or existing drives
Yeah, that's because you're an idiot.

It only does what you tell it to.
>>
>>92270
Cortana? Is that you? Well, this is awkward. But please, do tell me why not trusting Windows makes me an idiot. Let us make a point by point comparison together on the pros and cons of trusting Windows with our partitions.

Pros:
-It's simple.

Cons:
-Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about your partitions, and labels things ambiguously during installation.
-It's also simple to disconnect/reconnect a drive
-It's made by the same people that work on Skype
>>
>>92273
You're the one having problems with the single most widely-tested installer humanity has ever created.

That's why you're an idiot: the only way a problem can happen is user error, so if you don't trust the combination of yourself plus Windows Installer, it means even you consider the defective component to be yourself.
>>
>>92209
>seeing as I have a perfectly functioning computer

if that was the case, you'd simple be cloning it, not installing windows again
>>
>>92360

>this

Just fucking Clone your disk
>>
>>92360
I use the phrase "perfectly functioning" loosely, now that you mention it.

Like I said, I made some mistakes using SymMover and it's fucked up some of my steam saves, because for whatever reason it can't read the symbolic link and it just thinks the files are entirely on the D: drive. So I want to just go tabula rasa on that biznitch.

Wow, it got aggressive in here REAL fast!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.