[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been wanting to create a visual novel as a pet project for awhile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: cmxLSXB.jpg (102 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
cmxLSXB.jpg
102 KB, 500x367
Been wanting to create a visual novel as a pet project for awhile now.

Does anyone have any recommendations for which engine I should use?
>>
>>9214
Ren'Py I think is what's normally used. It's the engine behind Katawa Shoujo.
>>
>>9214
Your own.
>>
>>9214
Ren'Py isn't really the industry standard. It's just heavily used in the western shit you'll find on steam.

BUT, it IS the easiest engine to use, it's powerful enough to do most stuff, and can be compiled for countless of platforms, including mobile, as well as being completely free, so if it's your first project, might as well go ahead and use it.
>>
>>9236
Oh, also, if you go to the Ren'Py page, you'll see how many garbage projects have been made in it, which tends to give it a bad rep.

But just because you're using Ren'Py, it doesn't mean your project has to be shit. As >>9222 said, Katawa Shoujo was made in it. Unteralterbach too. And the Ebola-chan VN demo that never left the demo stage.
>>
>>9222
>>9236

I see. Yea, I just need something easy to start with for now. Once I get more experience, I might move on to something else.

Out of curiosity, what IS the industry standard?

>>9230

I don't think I'm experienced enough for that yet.
>>
>>9247
>Out of curiosity, what IS the industry standard?
This >>9230

Or, well, it depends on the studio. Overdrive heavily uses OnScripter, as shown whenever you start any of their games, for example.

Also, I just remembered Long Live the Queen was also made in Ren'Py, and that was a properly good one.
>>
>>9243

>those shitty VNs on the front page

Ugh, why don't they use KS as a showcase instead?
>>
>>9252

I see. Thanks you've been a great help.
>>
>>9255
Because they're trying to market through quantity and not quality. But really, just think of it as the KS, Unteralterbach and Long Live the Queen engine, and ignore all the garbage it's made on it. After all, it IS free, so any retard can use it.
>>
>>9247
Just make a game, it doesn't matter if it's good or bad. Just make a short one. Your first game HAS to be worse than the ones after it, so don't worry much about the quality.
After this you'll just have to get the hang of it after making some, as well as you'll find your style.
As they say in the videogame industry, you have to fail faster, so you can learn from those mistakes.
>>
>>9214
Use RPGMaker for that authentic indie look.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.