[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop screen tearing when playing vidya? I turned off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1449901025894.png (1 MB, 1159x1076) Image search: [Google]
1449901025894.png
1 MB, 1159x1076
How do I stop screen tearing when playing vidya? I turned off Vsync and capped the FPS at 60 using NVIDIA Inspector. My monitor only goes up to 60 FPS, but the problem is that Inspector doesn't "cap" the framerate well enough, it goes a bit over 60 sometimes which causes the screen to fuck up. The obvious solution is to cap the framerate at a lower value (I have to set it at 55), but this seems like a non-optimal solution since while it stops it from going over 60 FPS on accident and sceen tearing, the "default" FPS is still lower than 60. Is there any way to hardcap the framerate at 60? I find it bizarre that the NVIDIA cap has so much wiggle room.
>>
The best way to stop screen tearing is to turn ON vsync, not off.
>>
>>9098
But I don't want vsync, everyone says it hurts performance.
>>
>>9182
You are literally blindly following a meme at this point dipshit. All vsync does is make sure your fps doesn't go higher than your monitor's refresh rate. If you're already getting Above 60 fps you have literally nothing to worry about
>>
>>9182

It does hurt performance. That's the entire point. Screen tearing happens when the output is 2fast for your monitor, so it slows the output down so your retarded ass monitor can keep up.
>>
>>9187
No, what vsync does is SYNCronise your framebuffer swapping with your monitor's Vertical blank.

Your graphics card operates a circular buffer: whilst the renderer is drawing a frame, the DAC (now the HDMI/Dport DDC) is scanning down another one and sending it to the monitor.

Whenever your monitor finishes drawing a frame, it emits a vertical-blank interrupt, which causes the GPU to swap buffers: the monitor starts drawing the next frame, and the renderer starts drawing the frame after that over the buffer that's just freed up.

If you switch vsync off, the buffer-flip is instead triggered by the renderer finishing. The buffer flips immediately, regardless of where the monitor scanning is at, which is what causes the image to tear: halfway through the scan, the frame the monitor is drawing is replaced with another one.

There is literally no point in disabling vsync, unless what you want to see is half-drawn frames. It doesn't give you a better framerate, because your monitor can't draw any more frames.

If you want more frames per second, get a faster monitor, and a GPU that can render fast enough to feed it.

The Big Two both have a feature for compatible LCD monitors where they move the framebuffer into the monitor itself. The GPU blasts the frames down the cable at several times realtime, so when the next frame is ready to go, the monitor is already ready to receive it. The monitor displays at a variable frame rate, dictated by the GPU. The really useful use for this is actually video playback: the same monitor can play 24, 25, 30, 23.9, 29.9 Hz videos, without modeswitching. Pans in animu always look right.

Predictably, the Nvidia standard and the AMD standard are incompatible with each other, and no monitor supports both.
>>
>>9232
That's a philosophical point. You're literally throwing an entire frame away (n% of the old frame and (100-n)% of the new frame) whenever you change frame in the middle of a frame already being rendered.

Are you seeing another frame when you do this? No, because an entire screenful of pixels went in the bin. The actual number of frames you actually see is still dictated by your monitor.

If you want more FPS, get a faster monitor. Your goal should be native resolution at native framerate never dropping frames. If you've got surplus power, use a higher resolution or faster refresh.
>>
Turn ON V-sync
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.