[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to move my data froma hard drive to another What is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1452065241-0.jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1452065241-0.jpg
56 KB, 600x600
I need to move my data froma hard drive to another

What is the fastest and most efficient way to do it? Is there a powershell script for that?
>>
Bamp
>>
>>90117
simply move to or clone?
>>
open powershell and run

robocopy sourcepath destpath /E log:C:\dicks.txt
>>
>>90403
Either is fine, I'm going to format the drive.
>>
>>90413
there's any number of free options...macrium, clonezilla, or just using the native copy options

it's only going to go as fast as the hardware allows; sata to sata would be preferred, then sata to usb 3.0, then sata to usb 2.0

I would copy instead of moving...make sure the copy is all good before erasing the original
>>
File: 1458862689699.png (207 KB, 531x377) Image search: [Google]
1458862689699.png
207 KB, 531x377
>>90117
if you have 2 computers you could connect them with an ethernet cable and transfer over the network
>>
>>90428
I think I have all that is required.
what could be more efficient: making an image of the whole HD or just copying the required files?

>>90460
I can do that but that means two computers in the house that nobody can use.
>>
>>90538
Depends how full the drive is and how much you value your time.
>>
making a image of the hard drive from 1 drive to another drive is faster than copy/pasting items.
>>
Old-school drag and drop for the win. Nothing else would really be able to do it much faster anyway, at least not that I know of...
>>
>>90117
torrent your drive and download it on the other pc , wouldn't that work too ?
>>
File: 1411090116463.png (226 KB, 600x376) Image search: [Google]
1411090116463.png
226 KB, 600x376
OP here
So an stupid issue just come out: after I move my data and format the old drive, I will install windows (64 bit) and will have to move my date back again.

If an iso is the best way to take it out what is the best way to move just what I need?
>>
>>91231
wat?

you can't just "move" data back over a new install; files are one thing, but programs and other stuff has to be reinstalled
>>
>>91252
I know, that is why this is a new issue, I have to select my personal files and move them over.
>>
>>91259
yeah....that's a pain....you pretty much have to look through all of the folders manually and choose what you want to save

at least on my desktop, I moved all the main folders onto a separate drive so even I had to start over with windows, all I'd need to do is link the folders
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.