[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TravelMate 5310: Win7 -> Win10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1058483.jpg (40 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1058483.jpg
40 KB, 640x427
I have couple years old Acer Travelmate 5310, with Windows 7 installed, it gets slower with every passing day. recently it prompted me to upgrade to Windows 10.
Should i? Will i get any performance benefits?
>>
>>89998
Bemp, It seems this laptop has an ATA hard disk. Windows have found some problems with file system but said they got repaired and that the drive is fine. I'm stll concerned about Windows 10. Is it worth to invest couple hours of my time to try it?
>>
>>90017
Bomp
>>
>>89998
No, why would you want to upgrade to Windows 10. Is it going to magically make your system faster? No. Stick in some more ram, get an SSD and clean up your files and temp folders ect. Not hard.
>>
>>89998
>1.6 GHz Celeron M 520
>1 GB RAM, DDR2
Windows 10 is not going to be very pleasant on this.

Your #1 priority with this system should be a RAM upgrade. 1 GB generally sucks unless you're running XP. Put 4 GB in it if you can, 2 GB if you can't. DDR2 SODIMMs reasonably max out at 2 GB. 4 GB ones do exist but they're still obscenely expensive while the 2 GB ones are cheap. 4 GB in 2 sticks is like $20, while you're lucky to get 4 GB in one stick for $70.

After that, get an SSD. That'll give you a huge boost.

As for OS, my recommendation for a machine that age is either some light-ish Linux distro like Xubuntu or Mint with MATE, or if Windows go with 8.1.
--Yes, Windows 8.1. Stay far away from the stupid start screen and install Classic Start Menu instead. Apart from the abortion that is Metro, this is the fastest and lightest modern Windows I've seen on older systems. It boots faster, uses some less RAM out of the box, deals a bit better with SSDs, and has a more functional task manager.

In choosing between 32 and 64 bit OS, I'd put the switchover point at around 2 GB. More than 2 GB, go with 64 and you'll see slight performance improvement and gain the ability to run newer 64 bit programs. 2 GB and less, the larger RAM footprint of a 64 bit OS will hurt more than it helps.
>>
>>90195
>is it magically going to make your system faster
No, it's going to technologically make your system faster, through improvements over Windows 7 including a more memory-efficient GDI, compressed swap, hybrid boot, etc.

Windows 7 is now seven years old. You think Microsoft has been scratching their arse all this time? Ever since Vista, system requirements have gone down, not up. This is because the newer operating systems have been doing more with less; they've been reeling in the slack that Vista had.

Windows 7 was great. But now it's a relic.
>>
>>90239
>>1.6 GHz Celeron M 520
You should be able to upgrade that to a 2.16GHz 4MB Core2 Duo SL9SE for ~$30.

Laptop Core2s are dirt cheap nowadays, and the difference between a Core2 Celeron and a full-fat Core2 is night and day.
>>
>>90195
> Is it going to magically make your system faster?
I've read on the internet that Win10 runs bettr on low spec devices than Win7.
>Stick in some more ram
RAM is not the problme, it has 2 GB of it and rarely usage goes above 1,5GB (only during web browsing).
>get an SSD
250GB SSD is 1,5 more shekels than the price i paid for this laptop 4 years ago...
>clean up your files and temp folders
I do this regularly.

>>90239
>Windows 10 is not going to be very pleasant on this.
I have 2 GB, also my friend got netbook with 1 GB of RAM (some ASUS i believe from 2 years ago) with preinstalled Win8 and it runs smoother than mine so i thought that Win10 woudl run better on mine.
>Your #1 priority with this system should be a RAM upgrade
No, see above, 2 GB is plenty for my usecase.
>As for OS, my recommendation for a machine that age is either some light-ish Linux distro like Xubuntu or Mint with MATE, or
My son sugested linux but i have many old habits and i use outlook express, i just don't want to change too much if it's possible.
>if Windows go with 8.1.
Same problem as with SSD, it costs more than this laptop is worth and Win10 is offered for free, the pop-up said that my computer is fully compatible and ready for Win10.
>You should be able to upgrade that to a 2.16GHz 4MB Core2 Duo SL9SE for ~$30.
I'm afraid I don't have enough technical knowledge to do this, also it kinda works now so i think it's too much of a hassle.

Thank you for your help everyone.
>>
Install a lightweight linux distro, such as Lubuntu
>>
>>90658
That means your disk cache, which should be several GB, is crammed into ~500 MB.

Also I don't believe you: are you looking at "physical memory usage" or "total commit"? By definition, "physical memory usage" can't exceed the amount of physical memory, and it can never hit 100% because of how Windows is architectured: Windows needs space to swap into and to run the disk cache, so it'll start swapping before your memory is 100% full.

Anecdotally, I have a 2GB netbook and it runs W7 like utter shit, and W10 like slightly-less shit. It used to have 1GB, and that was even funnier. If continual swapping and 40-minute battery life is your idea of fun.
>>
>>90658
>I'm afraid I don't have enough technical knowledge to do this
It's easier than you think: you just follow the steps in the service manual for "remove the CPU cooler", then once you've done that you swap the processor. Use a dab of thermal goop during reassembly, just as if you were doing it on a desktop.

Mobile Core2 Duo has two cores, Mobile Celeron 520 has one core, so it's literally more than twice as fast.
>>
>>90727
>, I have a 2GB netbook and it runs W7 like utter shit, and W10 like slightly-less shit
Thanks for the input.

>>90731
>Mobile Core2 Duo has two cores, Mobile Celeron 520
It says in My Computer that my laptop hs two cores.

I installed Defragler program and it said that my hard disk performance is very bad, 520kb/s on average.
I've searched on windows seven forums, they advised to check my disk with Crystal Disk Info, it didn't find any problems.
>>
>>90744
Yeah, that is bad.

Is your disk full? NTFS doesn't like being over 90% or so, and starts being forced to allocate files where it has to instead of where it wants to.

What is your total commit? (In W7, it's on the Performance tab of Task Manager, in the bottom of the System pane). The first number is how much memory you're committed to, and the second is how much physical memory plus swap you have.

Sorry to keep doubting you, but the most common explanation for these symptoms is that you're out of RAM and your disk performance is terrible because the virtual memory workload is clobbering it.
>>
>>90757
>Is your disk full?
My disk is divided into two parts, 120GB each, both are 80% free.
>What is your total commit?
I am running Chrome internet browser now and it stays around 1600 MB, with Firefox browser it goes past 1900 MB and freezes my laptop often so i use Chrome instead.
>>
>>90760
Where are you getting that number from? Task Manager lists total commit in GB, not MB.
>>
>>90760
Howsabout booting into knoppix, and using dd_rescue to copy your drive to /dev/zero*? That will do a linear read of the drive whilst nothing else is accessing it. If it still can't deliver hard disk speeds, the disk, cable, or controller is shagged.

Plus you can run smartctl on it while you're there.

* NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND
>>
File: 1459249269487_1.jpg (357 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1459249269487_1.jpg
357 KB, 1360x768
>>
>>90768
Sorry, i thought you mean't hwo much there is on the graph. I had to check some screenshots on google hwo it's called in my language, so now i know i was mistaken.
It says 2/3

>>90804
As i said i'm not that technical, i can ask someone to do this.
>>
>>90837
Most 775 mobos can run a Core2, which can.
>>
>>90868
>I had to check some screenshots on google hwo it's called in my language
I just assumed you were a retard. Maybe for a technical subject such as this, a forum in your own language would be better?

Anyhoo, (2) is how much memory is allocated, and (3) is your RAM+swap.

You'll note that you have 2GB, and you've allocated 2GB, which leaves nothing left for I/O, and is why you're hammering your drive.

You need more RAM.
>>
>>90960
>I just assumed you were a retard.
Well that's not nice of you to assume such thing of others.

It all boils down to "get a new laptop", and i think this will end up this way.
Making this run faster would take too much effort and the same amount of money as buying used one that is way better than my current laptop.

I might just give Windows 10 a try, can i easily revert back to Win7 later or it is a one way ticket?

P.S.
>Maybe for a technical subject such as this, a forum in your own language would be better?
Last time i checked those, there was more hate than here on 4chan.
>>
>>90963
>Well that's not nice of you to assume such thing of others.
I think it's understandable looking at how this thread has gone.

>>90963
>can i easily revert back to Win7 later or it is a one way ticket?
There's a "revert to Windows 7" button that works for 30 days after the install.
>>
File: Screenshot (5).png (881 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (5).png
881 KB, 1366x768
i got windows 10. everytime i open an app this pops up wat do?
>>
>>91852
Create your own account and stop logging in as Administrator.
>>
>>91852
i wont lemme create my own account
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.