[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monitor shuts off display/PC crashes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: gtx_760_6b.jpg (158 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gtx_760_6b.jpg
158 KB, 1280x1024
I've been having a problem over the last week where my monitor randomly shuts off and PC becomes unresponsive. If I was doing something with sound beforehand (e.g. watching a movie) the sound will start looping after a few seconds as if the PC is crashing. I can not restore the session without powering off my PC and restarting it (even the reset button doesn't work).

Previously, I had gotten an error "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding" in my event log, now after downgrading my graphics drivers I am not getting the log message but the same problem persists.

Looking at my CPU, GPU and mainboard temperatures, they're fine. My main concern is that my PSU's 12V rail drops to 11.1-11.2 V occasionally (not often and only for a few seconds), I know that's too low, but I'm not sure if it's okay for it to dip that low for a second once in a while. On average it's above 11.5 V.

I'm going to run memtest86 in a minute, I'm guessing it's either the GPU or PSU causing the problem. I have another GPU I can use to test, but it uses much less power than my current one... so if the PSU is the problem, could that mask the problem?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
My Specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD FX-7350
16GB DDR3
Asus M5A97 LE R2
NVIDIA GeForce GTV 760 2048MB (EVGA)
Corsair 600W Bronze PSU

This problem occurs more often when I'm doing something, but can also happen when PC is idle.

Idle temperatures:
15-20 celcius - CPU
35 celcius - Mainboard
35 celcius - GPU
>>
How long have you had those parts?
>>
2-3 years
>>
>>86318

Seems like motherboard possibly. Go with motherboard video out, test one stick of ram and use it alone. Disconnect all drives except os drive. Doesn't sound like psu to me. Did you recently upgrade video cards?
>>
>>86328
GPU upgrade about 2 years ago and it was fine until this week. I did upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers. I saw that the latest drivers were giving a lot of people problems so I went back to the previously working drivers.

I'll try that out when I'm done with memtest. The only annoying thing is that this problem sometimes takes over 12 hours to appear.
>>
Don't know if anyone else is around, but the PC crashes anytime I try to launch a 3D application (e.g. CSGO). Looking at Speccy, the PSU seems like it's averaging over 11.5V on 12V rail, occasionally dropping to 11.385V

I'm staring to really think it's the GPU that's causing my problems. Any opinions?
>>
>>86478

Launch the same program with onboard video
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.