[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terrible random ping spikes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: ping data.png (50 KB, 636x674) Image search: [Google]
ping data.png
50 KB, 636x674
I have been experiencing random ping spikes for about the past 2 months, making all my online games unplayable. I would rather not drill holes in walls to get ethernet hooked up on my second floor, and was considering ethernet over powerline adapters. My main concern is that this is radio interference, and I do not know if they will do the exact thing my adapter is doing.
I have tried two separate adapters and got the exact same result, the random ping spikes every couples seconds. I have tried re-positioning my adapter, and no luck. I have tried other computers, including one plugged directly into the modem. I have gotten a new router, I changed the channel, and I'm still getting this problem. I didn't use to experience this, since I am used to having extremely low ping and smooth FPS, but this is causing every online game to be unplayable now.
>>
To clarify, the computer plugged into the modem did not experience this issue
>>
>>86167
Your post makes it unclear of if you are currently having problems with wireless or with poweline adaptors.
Poweline adaptors aren't always optimal as they depend on how good the wiring in our house is. But you are worried about interferance can basically go round with a portable FM radio and switch it to AM and put it on a really low low frequency and sweep it around your house. It should buzz/screech on objects producing interference.
As for wireless there are other things to try than just changing the channel. You can mess with the router settings and get it to switch the channel width between 20 or 40 mhz. 20 is slower, but it is less likely to have interference and give packet drops etc.
If your router also supports it you can try using the 5ghz band range as you are less likely to get interference from it.
>>
"and was considering ethernet over powerline adapters"
I'm considering this because I am getting interference from my current wireless adapter. It's not a network problem, since the connection will work fine when directly wired. Based on multiple tests I've run and people on other forums telling me, I have network interference. I was wondering if the EoP would be effected by the same interference and if it would be a waste of money to get.
>>
>>86450
What confused me was the "I have tried two separate adapters and got the exact same result" bit in your original post. Made me think you could have been using powerline adaptors already. As for interference it really depends on your house wiring. Something like switching on a microwave can sometimes really screw up power line adaptors.
Try the wireless suggestion I made here >>86338. You might get some success with switching between 40 and 20mhz channel width. And if the router supports 5ghz there are far less devices on that band so less interferance.
Also saw this with a quick google
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3ahg59/fix_for_wireless_ping_spikes/
Could be helpful.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.