[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Router Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 10
File: linux-magic_1.png (235 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
linux-magic_1.png
235 KB, 1024x768
Need some help with my linux box 4chan

want to make my own router to replace my shitty micronet

my linux router has two wired nix and one wireless nix

Ive been following this video which was very helpful for getting the server setup correctly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXX5gCi0uTo

And used this guide to get wireless working "partially"
https://seravo.fi/2014/create-wireless-access-point-hostapd

SO Im a little stuck with getting wifi working
I can see my access point
I can connect
I get a IP
But I cannot get any data

Ive tried playing around with the mascaraing settings but no luck

Any help would be awesome
>>
File: router1.png (8 KB, 1107x130) Image search: [Google]
router1.png
8 KB, 1107x130
Router masquerade settings
>>
network interfaces file
>>
hostapd file
>>
Firewall rules
>>
Network interfaces
>>
Bump
Would really appreciate any help folks please :D
>>
>>85992
Did you check that the clients are getting the proper gateway address? You didn't post your dhcp server config, maybe there's a problem there. Just a guess. Are you using dnsmasq like in the blog post you linked?
>>
File: dns config1.png (36 KB, 1117x407) Image search: [Google]
dns config1.png
36 KB, 1117x407
>>86188
>>86188
Yup checked that

No didnt use dnsmasq as I thought that would be taken care of in Bind, but unsure of the config I would need to use

Didnt want to get bind9 confused (am new at this so dont laugh too hard)

I'll post the DHCP info, I can go and install dnsmasq and let you know how it goes
>>
File: dns config client options.png (34 KB, 1127x388) Image search: [Google]
dns config client options.png
34 KB, 1127x388
>>86199
>>
File: dns config interface.png (15 KB, 1120x297) Image search: [Google]
dns config interface.png
15 KB, 1120x297
>>86199
With this one I wasnt 100% if I could set it work with two nix devices

The wording to me reads like it only supports 1 device
>>
File: connected to test wifi.png (17 KB, 371x444) Image search: [Google]
connected to test wifi.png
17 KB, 371x444
>>86199
Here is the my windoze pc connected to the test wifi network
>>
>>86203
Shouldn't clients connecting to wlan0 have wlan0's IP as default gateway and DNS instead of eth1's? You're forwarding from wlan0 to eth0 and from eth1 to eth0, but it seems like your windows client would be trying to reach eth1 from wlan0, which doesn't sound right. Especially since both are on the same network, so wlan0 wouldn't even be "aware" of having to act as gateway as pass the packets along.

Maybe if you use default for default routers and dns servers in >>86200 it would take care of this, as in it would set the gateway according to which interface received the dhcp request.

The way it is right now, with you serving dhcp out of two interfaces but hardcoding one of their addresses as gateway, it seems to me like you can only get forwarding working on that one interface and not the other. I think you can also test this by switching the gateway and dns to 10.10.10.2 and seeing if it fixes forwarding from wlan0 and breaks it from eth1, which is what I imagine would happen.

BTW, I'm not an expert in networking, so I'm sorry if I'm just being an idiot and not understanding your setup.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.