[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone help me with this physics problem? A block of ice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: figure 3.jpg (35 KB, 1296x553) Image search: [Google]
figure 3.jpg
35 KB, 1296x553
Can someone help me with this physics problem?

A block of ice of mass m and a wedge of ice of mass M can slide on one another and on a horizontal surface without friction. Initially the wedge is at rest andd the block moves towards it with speed v0. When the block reaches the wedge it slides up the slope to a maximum height, h above the horizontal. It then descends and returns to the horizontal surface.
a) What is the height, h, reached by the block?
b) What are the final velocities of the block and wedge after they are no longer in contact?

I'm terrible at physics, so I'm not sure if this is an elastic or inelastic collision. I think it's inelastic? I also think I have to use KE and PE somewhere but I just don't know how to connect all these formulas to get an answer.
>>
>>84698
>so I'm not sure if this is an elastic or inelastic collision
inelastic.

is there friction on the surface of the wedge?
>>
>>84700
I think the problem says there's no friction, right?
>>
>>84701
it says theres no friction on the horizontal surface. if the wedge is frictionless there is nothin stopping the block from just ramping off it.
>>
>>84710
Yea, idk, I just copied the problem exactly as it is written.
So far, I got that mv0=(m+M)vf
so vf=mv0/(m+M)

Then I got to plug this into a conservation of energy equation to solve for h, is that right?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.