[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /g/ got a question I need repetitively fast answers for.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: candy keybord.gif (129 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
candy keybord.gif
129 KB, 500x385
Ok /g/ got a question I need repetitively fast answers for.

Where can I go to find the best routers both consumer and low end professional?

Most places I look just have the press releases or are sucking a company off because they got a free test unit... about 3 years ago I was given a site that was fantastic and had relative performance levels of every router on the market at the time. I cant for the life of me remember what this place was.

The reason I need this is because about 2 weeks ago i upgraded my routers firmware and everything went to hell, stability is almost non existent and half the shit in my house will no longer connect to the internet, it says it connects to the router but not the internet.

Till this firmware there were small issues, now, its crashing every other day... the firmware upgrade was a god damn mistake.

I'm going to try to get this working on the current firmware and if that wont happen, i'm going to try to install tomato, but if that fucks as well, i'm just replacing the fucker as we can not go another weak with half our shit not working.
>>
>>84569
So un-upgrade it.

It's not like the Firmware Police will find out.
>>
>>84599
failed the last downgrade, router was fucked for a few days so no internet what so ever. im not trusting the firmware upgrade/downgrade/replacement to work, and i want to set up plan b if it fails
>>
>>84569
No offence, but pay an IT guy.

You sound like you're trying to be the IT for a company whose core competency isn't IT. This doesn't work well.

Think of all the money you've lost having broken IT. Think of how much you could be doing with the time you're spending farting about with half-assed solutions you don't really understand.

Hire an IT contractor, let him do his job, and you go do your job.
>>
>>84627
home router, if it was up to me i would have tossed the damn thing and got a low end pro router years ago just for the sake of individual device throttling, but that's money i don't want to spend if i don't have to.
>>
anyone at all?
>>
>>84569
When you say router, what do you actually mean? If you need the magic white wifi box, get a cheapo TP-Link and install OpenWRT on it.
>>
>>84920
I mean the box that i plug my modem into that serves 2 wired computers and 11+ wireless devices.

I got stuck on a shit belkin router, and NEVER want to do that again. that fucking thing was the bane of my extend and i had no idea till i finally needed to extend the wifi signal in the house, got the best router that was not pro at the time, and haven't looked back. the most recent firmware update borked something and now half the wireless shit doesnt work and the damn thing crashes every other day.

I want to get official firmware to work, so im going through those steps
If the router continues to fail, im planning on installing tomato (seems more user friendly then the other open source firmwares)
and if that fails, im going to try to revert to an earlier firmware again.

but before i potentially brick this bitch, i want to have a new router lined up so i know exactly what to buy, as i have no way of accessing the internet without the router working (i don't think plugging the modem directly into my computer works, or at the very least its finicky as all hell)

if it breaks im looking to spend 200-300$ again, but i need to know my options, which is why i am looking for the site that rated routers on a changing scale, instead of just listing off press releases.
>>
>>85065
Really, then, you need absolutely any router at all, and an Ubiquiti access point.

And to stop fixing shit that ain't broken.
>>
>>85104
what the firmware upgrade should have did was smooth out some of the more minor errors, sadly the firmware borked the whole damn thing for some devices and is unstable.

and absolutely any router would include Belkin, which shit itself so bad for god damn years and we just put up with it thinking it was normal, id much prefer to have a good router.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.