[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /wsr/, going to build a computer soon. I need links to resources
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: motherboard[1].jpg (1 MB, 2438x1586) Image search: [Google]
motherboard[1].jpg
1 MB, 2438x1586
Hi /wsr/, going to build a computer soon.

I need links to resources about setting up the cables. Explanations about SATA/PCI. What goes where, etc.

How did you figure it all out when you built a computer?
>>
>>84126
Read the manual, watched hundreds of videos, read a couple guides, have general computer knowledge, stay in school, don't do drugs, get a job, have a family, be successful, realise pcs are Legos.

But really.

What specific cables are we talking about
>>
>>84132
In general, would each part have two cables: one to the motherboard, one to the PSU?

I just want to know what I'm doing before I begin.
>>
>>84133
OK.

Mobo-
Two power cables generally
One is a 24 pin and likely had its own cable

Other is 8 pin for CPU. Can usually get away with a 4 pin with Intel stuff. (If the cable doesn't fit, it's for your graphics card)

Harddrives-
One sata and sata power connector (sata power? Doesn't sound right)

The sata goes between mobo- and hard drive, while power is from psu.

Graphics card-
Any number of 6 or 8 pins
(If 8 pin doesn't fit, it's for CPU)

Sometimes you have a 6 pin that can have 2 pin attached for 8 or 6 pins

Case cables-
USB 2, USB 3, audio, power, reset, lights

Focus on motherboard manual for these. Make sure you plug them in right to not bend pins.

Fans, connect to 4 pins on mobo. See manual.
If cheap fans, usually connect to molex (4 big circle pins)

Anything else?
>>
>>84141
The case should come with those cables, right?
>>
>>84144
Mobo comes with 2 sata cables, generally.

Case has all its cables pre attached

Psu has everything else.

Unless you need custom cables, extensions or longer ones (or certain pins), you'll be fine
>>
>>84133
In general, you can't fuck shit up unless you use a jackhammer to plug in cables. Most of them are coded by pin numbers. 8 pin for motherboard, 6 pin for GPU etc.
>>
>>84133
Computers are like lego nowadays. Every connector just clips in, and it's keyed so you can't plug it in where it doesn't belong anymore.

The spoilsports even standardised some kind of "front panel connector" so you don't have to look up the motherboard manual and wire your own.

>>84126
OP, if threads on this board are anything to go by, you don't need to be researching lego connectors, you need to learn how to spec a power supply, and how to connect a power supply.

You need to connect a power supply to the following:
- the motherboard's 24-pin connector
- the motherboard's 4-pin/8-pin connector
- the GPU(s) connector(s), one wire per connector
- every drive

Read the manual for your motherboard, GPU and PSU online before you buy them; make sure you have enough power, and enough connectors to convey it where it needs to go.

If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be "don't buy a multi-rail PSU". They're a perfectly good choice for a PC that will never be modified, that you've calculated all the loads on, but there have been a ton of threads here to the effect of "I bought a PSU that delivers 200w per rail, how do I power my 150w CPU and 75w+75w+150w GPU?".
>>
>>84210
Is this PSU alright?
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-GS-0650-V1
>>
>>84222
nevermind, found the manual, it's single rail
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.