[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech Support plz, desktop seems fucked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: TechnicalSupport.png (76 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TechnicalSupport.png
76 KB, 300x300
Been using this computer for ~3 years now. I built it myself, I don't know if that contributes to this at all.

Specs
>Motherboard
Asus M5A97 R2.0 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, CrossFireX
>CPU
AMD FX-8350 8 Core Processor Socket AM3+ 4.0GHZ 16MB 125W
>Graphics Card
XFX Radeon HD7870 Core Edition 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, Dual DP
>SSD
Kingston SSD Now V300 Stand Alone Solid State Drive, 120GB
>HDD
Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
>Ram
G.SKILL RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-17000 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)
>Power Supply
Cooler Master Extreme 2 Power Plus 625W ATX 12V Power Supply 20/24PIN 120mm Fan
>Optical Drive
LiteOn iHAS124 24X DVD-Writer, SATA, Black, OEM

Running Windows 7.

Was working fine and after about 20 minutes of work, the computer froze. Programs started to stop working as I tried to access them. First Chrome pages wouldn't load, then chrome stopped responding altogether. Then the whole computer froze. I left it for ~15 minutes, came back, still frozen, so I turned it off, sit for 10 minutes, turned it back on. I thought maybe it was just a hiccup, but again after about 20 minutes the computer froze again.

Got the BSOD. Upon restart got this message :
>No Boot device found, insert boot device and press any key.
went into Bios/Settings and SSD was not the primary drive, set it to the primary drive and it got rid of the error, and everything worked, for 20 minutes, and then the problem repeated

After removing all other drives besides the SSD I got :
>current bios setting do not fully support the boot device go to advanced csm parameters and adjust the csm (compatibility support module) to enable the boot device

I tried to find out what the issue is, but I've found nothing consistent. I fiddled with the CSM parameters. nothing. Reset BIOS to defaults. Nothing. I managed to run a Disk Check but "an unspecified error occured" and then "Unable to set chkdsk ran once flag" and it has been stuck like that for about 1 hour.
>>
Run memtest on your ram.
>>
>>84052
Like everyone else that's made this thread this past week, your SSD is dying/dead.

Because you put your OS on it, rather than just using it as a cache, you're a bit fucked now.

Now (as in, right-now) boot your computer into Knoppix, and use dd_rescue to image your SSD onto your hard disk.

Then go buy a new SSD (or hard disk), install the image on that, and fix it there.

Every byte you write to that drive diminishes your chances of recovering the data that's on it.
>>
>>84065
Okay, thank you. I will try this and report back.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.