[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I saw a popup that stated "Alert! You may need to fi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: LFMH.png (16 KB, 829x127) Image search: [Google]
LFMH.png
16 KB, 829x127
So I saw a popup that stated "Alert! You may need to fix Windows errors". Upon seeing this I knew that something was wrong and so I googled it and came across this
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/alert-you-may-need-to-fix-windows-errors-removal/
I have followed all the steps on there. I ran ADW Cleaner and Junkware removal tool. Upon launching chrome after a bit this extension appears installed
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloader-professi/elicpjhcidhpjomhibiffojpinpmmpil/support?hl=en
It has 4.5 stars on there but if you look at the reviews you'll see that they all say the same thing which leads me to believe these are faked reviews.
In any case, if disconnect my ethernet cable the files go away and they stop appearing on ADW and Junk Removal Tool scans. Whenever I connect back onto the internet they show up again. It should be noted that I've also run Malwarebytes multiple times and it didn't even detect the virus. Hitman Pro does detect it.
>>
That's actually a good extension, I use it. Reviews might be fake though, I can't assure anything about them.

can you list or screenshot all your chrome extensions?
>>
>>82437
Well okay, I removed the extension and it got removed completely.

These right here are the issues. Like I said they keep coming back.

I'll post a picture of all my extensions in the next pic. Also I should mention that it removes all of my startup programs including malwarebytes
>>
File: All Chrome Extensions.png (234 KB, 832x3172) Image search: [Google]
All Chrome Extensions.png
234 KB, 832x3172
All of my chrome extensions
>>
>>82440

Alright, I'll look at your extensions after I ask this, have you already assured there is nothing shady in your startup? do you know how to check? I don't mean just looking at your icon tray either? You can use ccleaner to check what's on startup.
>>
>>82442

>Copyallurls

I use that extension too haha

I would think disabled is enough to deactivate any shady extensions so I guess you're OK there.

Also, I forgot, what's the problem with those two items showing up with adwcleaner? are they malicious? just that adwcleaner finds them? they might be connected to one of the extensions you still have enabled?
>>
File: Hitman Pro Results.png (53 KB, 717x567) Image search: [Google]
Hitman Pro Results.png
53 KB, 717x567
>>82446
I'm going to run ADW and Junk cleaner again. Will report back after.

The big issue is that most of my currently active applications close after startup. Also Hitman Pro keeps coming up with these even after removing them.
>>
>>82447

I think they're just cookies man. Everyone has cookies and uses cookies and it's just normal. Some programs flag them down and treat them like viruses kind of to make people really believe when they get rid of them they're really killed something malicious when cookies aren't really all that bad. I think with all the tracking going on and cookies being involved with them cookies have gained a reputation of being sort of halfway responsible for the invasion of privacy ordeal going on now. I think you can just accept cookies as being there because whenever you use your browser you by default create brand new cookies for each site you visit unless you specifically instruct your browser not to do so but it will be inconvenient. Try setting Chrome to either like not allow cookies or allow cookies but ask you or automatically delete cookies after shutdown or something like that and then see if these cleaners still find them. They shouldn't because the cookies wouldn't be there.
>>
>>82449
I got you, but that still doesn't explain why all of my startup programs close automatically.
>>
>>82450

aah alright yeah, that is a definite problem. so have you ever checked your startup to see what programs are starting up?
>>
File: startup.png (27 KB, 549x435) Image search: [Google]
startup.png
27 KB, 549x435
>>82451
>>
>>82453

I'm assuming that's a capture of a windows 8.1 or later startup list? You got too much stuff installed for me to think your system would be stable at all. Even then I wouldn't like that stuff to be on my startup list even if it is disabled.

Alright so I'll just assume your startup programs are fine and if something bad is on your system it's bypassing that list. You say hitman finds it right?

Have you tried any other scanning program aside from mbam and htiman pro?
>>
>>82454
Honestly I just realized that i'm pretty sure what's closing all of my programs is Adw itself. In any case I think i'm fine here, i'm pretty sure you were right.

Just to make sure tomorrow i'm going to uninstall chrome and wipe the appdata folder and then reinstall it. Since it's saying that the issues are coming from extensions anyways.

I'm curious as to why you think my system wouldn't be stable, I don't think my list has THAT many programs? Honestly i've procrastinated on getting my computer organized and up to speed and I plan on doing it tomorrow. Installing necessary programs and such. I know this may be much to ask, but is there an email address or skype I can reach you at tomorrow to ask for some advice?
>>
>>82456

Nah, it's just that I'm meticulous about the performance of my computer. I avoid programs that I consider "bloatware" and even though I have a fast computer I don't waste my cpu speed or memory on things that I don't need or use enough. To me Itunes and Java are examples or programs that add more than they need to on a pc because they like to for example throw themselves into startup and then run and check for updates. I don't need any of that to happen. When I need it to run I'll double click it, when I need to update it I'll check for an update manually. A lot of times when programs run they do interfere with eachother. For the most part they debug and try to run into common settings but you never know when one just because of some piece of code ends up clashing with another and bam you end up with a crash or some other crazy stuff going on.
>>
>>82456

I'll tell you what, I just started my little vacation at home for about a week so I'll this board open in a tab the entire time and i pretty much live on the PC as my hobby. If you just start a thread on the same thing I'll respond if I'm up.
>>
>>82459
Honestly I was the same way when I got this computer, but I became way to obsessed with it and instead of implementing it I just procrastinated and here I am.

I tried to overcome the bloatware issue by trying to get portable versions of the software I wanted, and so there was the issue of being bloat free and not compromising on being able to use software.

My windows is installed on an SSD. If I understand correctly with an SSD you have to worry about bloat even less right?

Also I appreciate it, what kind of vacation is it?
>>
>>82465

With SSD you basically don't have to worry about bloat. The speeds are so good especially with reading and writing to itself that even defragging wouldn't help much.

Regular vacation, just using up some vacation days saved up. Routine thing for me do it about twice a year around this time.

I'll tell you what you want to do. If you're serious about this you should take my advice. What I do is this, I install my os fresh and update it and all that jazz right so it's JUST a fresh install of windows and it's updates. Nothing else. Then I use that as a starting point. I make an exact clone of my partition to another drive, basically a mirror to restore from. I call that Starting Point B. I then continue configuring and tweaking my os and installing all my most commonly used software and then I replace my old starting point B with a starting point C. Point is I always have a perfectly saved configuration of my windows to go back to. I'm spoiled, whenever I install something I don't like I just restore the entire drive haha, it only takes like 5 or 10 minutes because I have an SSD too. basically a 10 minute Windows installation from the first click to the next startup and all set.
>>
>>82470
Oh dear, you sound as paranoid as I am hahaha

I'm going to have to do a fresh install soon. As soon as I can get a large enough external HDD to backup all the files on my computer first. (you need to for a fresh install yes?)
>>
>>82471

You don't need to but for the sake of bleaching your system it's worth it. Also what you can do while you're waiting for the actual re-installation to be possible is learn to slipstream. It's very easy. You can take a official windows iso and you can inject the windows updates into it so that when you are done installing from that .iso all the updates are ALREADY on there. When it checked for updates it will see that your system is up to date. I always keep an updated installation on my drive so I don't have to spend two hours installing updates after I install. I just install and am already up to date.
>>
>>82472
What do you mean by bleaching my system?

Also I appreciate all the advice. Are you this meticulous in other areas of your life?
>>
>>82478

Well, when I say bleaching your system I mean TOTALLY cleaning it of whatever was on there before. If any kind of malware is on then a re-installation gets rid of it. With malware removal a lot of times bits of it are still around, even if it's some residual harmless text files. Re-installing gets rid of everything.

Well, with work and organization of my stuff kind of yeah, but I have limits as to how much I can exercise that obsessiveness.
>>
>>82483
Ah okay, I got you.

What would you say is the best way to uninstall unwanted programs? Geek Uninstaller or Revo?
>>
>>82702

Windows Add/remove programs. Revo and programs like that are only slightly better but really don't help much at all except by deleting a couple left over files and registry keys that for the most part don't do any damage if left behind anyways.
>>
>>82742
I got you.

What antivirus would you recommend? So far I've only been using Malwarebytes pro on Windows 8

Also is MPC still the best video software?
>>
>>82751

I just use MSE. For most antiviruses all you need is their virus detection capability and others offer so many features it actually gets on my nerves. I think other antiviruses do have better detection rates but MSE has notified me of things that it should so I trust it and aside from that when I do decide to live dangerously I use sandoxes and virtual machines and stuff. MSE's no hassle basic functionality is what I want and yet other antiviruses can't seem to give me that. They throw me a window full of features and options and sometimes ads that I just don't give a shit about.

I use MPC. I keep a copy of Zoom Player on my pc because that's my second favorite. MPC is better performance wise but I love Zoom Players gui.
>>
>>82807
Am I able to remove any of these programs or would it be bad for my system?

AMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD VISION engine control center
Raptr

(For these keep in mind that I have an AMD GPU)

DirectX 9.0c Extra Files (x86, x64)
DirectX for Managed Code
Java 8 Update 51
Java 8 Update 51 (64-bit)
>>
>>83065

Direct X shouldn't have anything in that list. When I instlal directx the package just extracts a bunch of files to the WIndows system and doesn't add anything to my add/remove list. I would say remove it and worst comes to worst if something complains about you missing it get the Microsoft installer.

I would also remove Java but some programs need java to run. Not many do but the same, if something complains you can install java again. Leave the AMD stuff and I'm not sure what Raptr is.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.