[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fried Monitor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 20150821_002834.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150821_002834.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
So, I wanted to ask for help/advice. I just finished building my own desktop and was testing everything to make sure it worked, and ended up frying my monitor. I want to ask how to proceed. Details below:

I first tested the desktop, and when I flipped the switch it turned on, motherboard light up, fans started, optical drive opened/closed, USB ports were live, etc.

So I was about to plug it into a new 21.5" Asus monitor, which I had tested and found to be working upon arrival, in order to start into the BIOS settings. While the desktop was on, I plugged an HDMI cable into the I/O port on the motherboard and connected the other end to the monitor. As I then began to plug the monitor's three-pronged power supply plug into a grounded outlet, it shorted the monitor in a blast of light and sound and the monitor refused to turn on thereafter. It wouldn't work in any of the outlets in the house. The desktop was also hit by whatever electrical problem because it turned the entire desktop off at the same time, but the desktop restarted fine afterwards and the connecting HDMI cable worked for other devices.

Also, the desktop and the monitor were plugged into two separate outlets at the time of the short if that bears any relevance.

I'd like to ask how to proceed. Obviously I can't move forward with the new desktop until I can hook up a display, and I'd like to test if the motherboard's HDMI port still works, but I don't want to sacrifice any more monitors in the process. What should I do, /g/?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>81726
Sorry, meant to write /wsr/. Was reposting something considered off-topic in /g/.
>>
>>81727

Wow thats fucked. I always hotswap videonl cables back and forth to different screens. I always have used dvi though since that is what my outputs use. Since you use hdmi you pretty need a current monitor or tv so I would go that route. I always keep my stuff powered on while I hotswap and this never happened. You probably want to do research and see if this is a common occurance.
>>
>>81739

Yeah I've never had any trouble hotswapping either, and by this point I've probably done it a couple hundred times.

In reading about it other people have reported similar short outs under similar circumstances, but only when the devices were plugged into separate outlets and one of the outlets had the live and the ground leads miswired. I'd gonna try something this afternoon, but any advice in the meantime would be great.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.