[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend me some really surreal or "weird"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: Upstream_Color_poster.jpg (18 KB, 250x370) Image search: [Google]
Upstream_Color_poster.jpg
18 KB, 250x370
Can anyone recommend me some really surreal or "weird" TV shows or movies? Stuff like Upstream Color, Liquid Sky, Eraserhead or Enter the Void?
>>
Oldboy (2003) is pretty surreal if you're ok with watching a Korean film.
Also if you like anime there are lots of weird ones. Penguindrum comes to mind.
>>
>>7876
The Holy Mountain
Kaiba
>>
Twin Peaks
>>
The Prisoner is good.
>>
>>8327
This.

Also:
Zerkalo (The Mirror)
Stalker
Donnie Darko
>>
>>8315
>The Holy Mountain

Pretty much the best ending ever.
>>
They Live
From Beyond (try to get director's cut)
Videodrome
>>
>>7876
Check out this stuff from our Aussie friends, it's pretty damn funny, and as weird as it comes.

Danger 5
>>
>>9184
Logged in just to upvote this xD To the front page you go!
>>
Not sure if it fits but I always thought Rubber was a strange movie. It's about a telekinetic tire that goes around blowing things up while people watch it from afar with binoculars like it's a movie inside a movie
>>
File: 245243543543.jpg (165 KB, 853x476) Image search: [Google]
245243543543.jpg
165 KB, 853x476
If you can do anime, Evangelion really pays off if you stick with it. I like the whole series, but if you don't like anime you might not get the full payoff until the last episodes and movie.

Also, Synecdoche, New York and Tree of Life. Those have more obvious themes and storylines than what you listed.
>>
Carnivalé. Great show, mysticism, devils, shit like that, too bad for early cancellation and rushed ending..
imdb.com/title/tt0319969/
>>
Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't watch a lot of anime but I'm willing to give the recommendations a shot.
>>9180
>VIdeodrome
One of my favorites, I like most of Cronenberg's movies. Watched Naked Lunch after I read the book, a bit different but still pretty cool.
>>
Paprika
>>
Looked for those kind of tv series myself and the best i've got were the prisoner, twin peaks and carnivale.

If animated tv is fine then I can give you a lot longer list.
>>
Finally! I request I can answer!

Films:
Spalovac Mrtvol
Taxidermia
Berberian Sound Studio
Holy Motors
Southland Tales
Inland Empire
Spring Breaker
The Limits Of Control
Wild At Heart
Neco Z Alenky
Spring Breakers
Naked Lunch

TV series:
Adventure Time, haha :-DD
>>
Here are a few more:

From France:
Diva
Le Planete Sauvage
Swedish-Danish:
Häxan (1922)
>>
>>9379
>>9809
Thanks
>>
Under The Skin
Beyond the Black Rainbow
It's Such A Beautiful Day
A Scanner Darkly
Yuriy Norshteyn's works (It's all on Youtube)
La Jetee
Brand upon the Brain
The Devil's Backbone
Brazil
House
Point Blank (Surreal action/Gangster)
And the Twin Peaks movie. There's an extended cut of it called the q2 edit, if you like the original movie for the first time.
>>
Black Mirror. Cannot recommend enough.
>>
Watership Down

That's the only movie that I wasn't initially permitted into. I went with my cousin when I was a little kid, he's one year older and the old biddy at the ticket booth wouldn't sell us tickets or let us in, then we just hung out for a while out of her sight and got someone else to bring us in.
>>
File: Silver Globe 1.png (1 MB, 1392x854) Image search: [Google]
Silver Globe 1.png
1 MB, 1392x854
On the Silver Globe
original Solaris
Pi
>>
>>10496
The original Solaris from the USSR is pretty cool.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5 KB, 480x141) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5 KB, 480x141
>>7876
Comforting Skin and Bad Boy Bubby.
>>
Knock Knock is also pretty surreal desu senpai
>>
>>7876
A Funeral Parade Of Roses
Tetsuo the Iron Man
The Hole
Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Exterminating Angel
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
>>
>>10288
>>9336
>>8338

Mandatory.
>>
>>9251
>>9251

Basically it's the string of light hearted "monster of the week" episodes when Asuka is first introduced that might cause someone to drop it. The first few episodes before Asuka are vintage Evangelion as is the rest of the series basically from the time the computer virus angel attacks on.

In retrospect the light hearted episodes serve their purpose in displaying Asuka's character, but you don't necessarily know that first watching it.
>>
>>7876
12 Oz. Mouse
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.