[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing any MKV is causing my pc to crash, both in MPC, VLC and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1453862476361.jpg (50 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1453862476361.jpg
50 KB, 408x439
Playing any MKV is causing my pc to crash, both in MPC, VLC and even WMP.

I'm not tech savvy and know bare minimum. I do know that MP4's work just fine, do any of you have an idea to what the problem is?
>>
>>78625
that's not very descriptive

have you installed the proper codecs?
>>
Install KCP report back if the problem persists.
>>
>>78627
>that's not very descriptive
Like I said I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject so I'm sorry for lack of description.

All I know is it was working yesterday (and has been for the past year) but now it isn't.

I'm going to embarrass myself asking this but.. Codecs?
Sorry for being an idiot, everything had been working fine so I never expected this to suddenly change without warning.
>>
>>78631
you didn't change anything, but it suddenly stopped working? no programs? updates?

if you don't have k-lite already installed, download and install this:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_basic.htm
>>
>>78633
No, I didn't change anything. No updates.
I don't have k-lite installed but I'll give it a go and see if the problem persists.

>>78630
KCP, is that kawaii codec pack?
>>
>>78637
>>78633
I have an improvement. Installing the k-lite codec now just makes MKV's freeze my pc for about 30-40 seconds then the videos play just fine. Before it lasted longer than 20 minutes.

Thank you for your help so far, but do you have any clue to why this happened and how it went down to just under a minute?

I did Google all of this but I couldn't find any one with the same problem or anything that made any sense to me.
>>
>>78640
Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling?
>>
>>78640
can you give any computer specs?

are you sure it's clean on the inside? is it really warm?

are these large files?

are you running other programs at the same time?
>>
>>78641
Yes, I tried that before I posted here just in case. Thank you though.

>>78642
I'm not sure what specs you're after but I'm on Windows8.1. I open it up once a month for a clean out with a air spray to get rid of dust. It's no warmer than usual, by that I mean it's not hot or ready to over heat any time soon.
The files range from 100mb to 600mb and both cause a freeze, also no other programs running.

I closed the MKV and re-opened only for it to take another 30-40 seconds. Opened another and the same, opened about 4-5 more then it stopped freezing and just opened the videos as per usual.

Did a quick restart and again it took 30-40 seconds for the first 5 or so video attempts then everything goes back to normal. If there's no solution to this then I'll be fine living with having to wait several minutes to watch something every time I start it up, I can live with that.

Thank you for your help so far, that codec might be the reason why I can actually watch stuff now without it freezing completely.
>>
>>78646
I don't think I've ever heard of this problem before...

if it's not overheating and the cpu and graphics are plenty capable (which they should be), then my guess would be that it's software related

I would advise to look through installed programs and codecs to make sure there isn't anything else installed that might be interfering with k-lite...that should be the only thing you need to play pretty the most common files

are there any other processes in task manager that start using high cpu or memory when you start a video?
>>
>>78650
and here's a small sample video to test with....

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-h264.mkv
>>
>>78650
I'll have a look through and see if there's anything that looks odd. Do you know of anything, off the top of your head, that may interfere with k-lite?

I've just checked what other processes might be causing issues and nothing spikes when I play an MKV. All I know right now is that it's working and all I have to do is wait several minutes each time I turn on my PC to start watching something, which is a lot better than not being able to at all.

I've got work in 36 minutes so I'll have to head off now. Thank you for taking the time to help me out and for allowing me to be able to watch MKV's, I don't really mind waiting to watch them but if it turns out to be a real issue in the future then I'll just either get everything in MP4 or convert the videos myself.

I agree with how weird this problem is though, I've never experienced it myself before or known of anyone to have this problem.

Thanks again for your help anon, I appreciate it.
>>
>>78652
to my knowledge, VLC should be able to play MKVs without any codecs at all....I like MPC just because it seems to handle large videos (BR) better....but even with a large video, 20-30GB+, there isn't much of a delay, a few seconds at most

the fact that there is that much of a lag makes me think there is something else going on; maybe try booting into safe mode and playing a video...

well come back after you mess with it a bit more....there are plenty of people willing to give suggestions
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.