[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any opinions on the free version of Avira Antivirus? I plan on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1277495036390.jpg (15 KB, 262x228) Image search: [Google]
1277495036390.jpg
15 KB, 262x228
Any opinions on the free version of Avira Antivirus? I plan on installing it on my brother's pc. I know a computer illiterate user will find a way to fuck things up, no matter what antivirus software you use. However I figured anything is better than nothing.
>>
>>76950
It's like actually having a virus.

Viruses:
- pop up adverts while you're trying to do stuff
- run weird processes at weird times doing weird things
- constantly harass you for your credit card details
- try to change your homepage
- install weird browser extensions without asking
- tries to install a bunch of other viruses

Avira Free:
- pops up adverts while you're trying to do stuff
- runs weird processes at weird times doing weird things
- constantly harasses you for your credit card details
- tries to change your homepage
- installs weird browser extensions without asking
- tries to install a bunch of other shit like "Avira VM security" and "Avira mail scanner".
>>
>>76967

You shitting me, mate? I used to run Avira like 5 years ago and it was pretty good (for the time). This is why I figured I could put Avira on my brother's pc and worry a bit less about him getting viruses (which obviously I have to fix).

I guess I'll have to find another solution.
>>
>>76950
it blows

use MSE
>>
>>76990
That's why I tried it when AVG's nagging got too much.

I was as disappointed as you.
>>
>>76990
If you do one thing to prevent a PC coming back to you, make it "installing Secunia PSI".

PSI lurks in the background and silently updates hundreds of programs. It's like Windows Update, but for shit that's not Windows.

No more "I never updated Firefox because it was scary and then I clicked on something and now there's adverts everywhere halp".
>>
>>76950
I have Avira right now.

Switched to it months back from AVG after being discontent with its incessant popups ads for its paid services and it abruptly installing browser extensions one day. http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/09/21/anti_virus_company_avg_is_honest_in_a_new_privacy_policy_about_how_it_collects.html This was the icing on the cake.

So I did research (http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is a nice site), compared shit, read reviews and determined Avira to be the best at the time.

Now, after having using it used it for months now, here's what I have to say:

1) Has ad pop ups as well
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-etbnJ-ANcEc/VkmAy09AHuI/AAAAAAAATG0/gmkdJieqdc4/avira%252520popup%252520ads%25255B3%25255D.jpg
but I don't recall ever installing anything without explicit direction.
After googling it, I found that you could do some tinkering to stop them but I can't be fucked to do it.

2) Found out that this was the reason why I couldn't boot an VM in virtualbox (although there was a quick fix for that).

3) Has a file scanner that runs periodically on default but you can very well change the time or disable.

My closing thoughts: Avira's quite nice. The cons you need to put up with is within the normal range. Just tell your brother to ignore the ads, leave the file scanner alone (or you can disable it yourself) and it's good to go.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.