[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: akizuki.jpg (505 KB, 1200x1090) Image search: [Google]
akizuki.jpg
505 KB, 1200x1090
I need food I can comfortably live off without a car, stove, oven, pots, and pans.

So far my diet consists of:
PB&J, chicken and tuna sandiwches (store-brand bread, lettuce, cheese, tomato, onions, mayonnaise), ramen (with or without eggs and or cheese), bananas, and cereal.

I use to eat strawberries and grapes, but they're too expensive.
>>
get a little electric burner and a saucepan, opens up your options considerably.
>>
>>76225
This.

Amazon has $10-$15 single-burner electric stoves, and about $30 double-burner ones. Sets of pans and saucepan for about $20. So let's say you spend $50 for it all.

Then you'll be able to make rice, porridge, sausages, eggs and whatnot.

Also, thanks for the picture in OP. Insta-followed the artist's pixiv.
>>
>>76225
yes

look at yard sales for pots and pans, you can find usable ones for next to nothing
>>
>>76221
What actually do you have?

You seem to have a way of heating water for ramen, so it that a microwave or a kettle?

You can actually boil/poach eggs in a kettle, and you can heat anything that comes in a can. But it's a little fiddly getting it open.

Most people think of microwaves as things for re-heating, but they can actually cook bread, pastries, cakes, rice, eggs, potatoes, bacon, and they can cook noodles and pasta by heating water. You can actually make spaghetti bolognese in a microwave*.

Also, you can cook (very fresh) fish in lime juice. It's called ceviche.

* but you'll get better results with a pan.
>>
>>76225
>>76256
>>76275
>>76287
I have a rice cooker, crock pot, and microwave.

Paying $8 for meat (per meal) and extra for potatoes and carrots proved too much for my budget. I've also found it's unrealistic to eat plain rice with soy sauce anything but infrequently.

I have to have enclosed things. I don't think an electric burner has an open flame but I wonder if it's acceptable.

I once tried some precooked frozen chicken to go with the rice, but it tasted like clay. If anybody has experience with decent precooked food that might be nice.
>>
File: 10837166.jpg (14 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
10837166.jpg
14 KB, 480x480
>>76347
Ah, I heat the water in my roommate's water boiler.

Thinking about it more, an electric burner seems like a really good idea. I'll ask the desk if they're okay.

I'll get oatmeal and honey, cook eggs, and maybe sausages depending on the cost. Is there anything else I should consider?
>>
>>76347
>Paying $8 for meat (per meal)
... dude, how much meat is that? I know I live in latin america, but we can get nice steak for the equivalent of about $4 a pound. That should last 3 or 4 meals, maybe more, if you're also adding vegs. Not to mention 15c sausages or $2/pound deboned chicken.

Though of course, stuff you can just heat in a microwave is quite a bit more expensive.

Try checking prices with your local butcher.

As for the cooker, the cheaper ones don't have a flame. They have a coil that gets hot, like this one
amazon.com/dp/B005T0SN0K/

And yeah, as >>76287 said, you will very easily find cheap pans/saucepans in flea markets and whatnot. If new ones are about $20, I bet you can find a good used set for $5 or so.
>>
>>76354
And look, this one is $25 and comes with two burners
www.amazon.com/dp/B0042D7RY8

Or this one, $31 with two burners, and it's Black & Decker:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0046XRMB2
>>
>>76347
if not look for a microwave grill like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Microhearth-Grill-Pan-Microwave-Cooking/dp/B004FGAVEK

with that you could at least grill some chicken, maybe some other vegetables, add some noodles for stir fry...pretty much any vegetables will work as long as they're not super watery
>>
File: 1419058788738.jpg (164 KB, 690x1127) Image search: [Google]
1419058788738.jpg
164 KB, 690x1127
>>76221
Rice, beans and, eggs are all you need, m8.

Buy the biggest, cheapest bags you can find and you'll last for a long time
>>
>>76221
If you buy the peanut butter without all the added sugar and shit its a lot more filling since the consistency is different
>>
File: french-bread.jpg (90 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
french-bread.jpg
90 KB, 600x450
>>76221
Stop eating sliced bread. That shit is way too overpriced for the amount of nutrients your getting.

I'd recommend french bread or some form of wheat bread.
>>
File: iWRhEeJ.jpg (357 KB, 1180x863) Image search: [Google]
iWRhEeJ.jpg
357 KB, 1180x863
>>76363
Oh, and I completely forgot about lentil.
>>
>>76373
For more recipes

http://imgur.com/a/5nbmA
>>
>>76221
former homlessfag reporting in. banquet frozen dinners can be had for $1 (or less when on sale) purchased at walmart or a major chain grocery store and nuked at a convenience store. chicken/beef pot pies and frozen burritos are even less. you can buy super sized roast beef/turkey/ham sandwiches at walmart for $5 that are good for 2 meals. sardines/herring are a buck a can. potted meat, vienna sausages, armor treet (same as spam but cheaper). single serving mac and cheese is more expensive than the stuff in the box but just add water and nuke. if you have an apt then get a toaster oven at a garage sale or go to craigslist and check out the "free stuff" section. whole frozen chicken can be had for less than $1 a pound - toaster oven it and you can eat on it for a few days. use the carcass for stock and scraps to add to your chicken flavored ramen. more lifehacks when i can remember
>>
>>76354
A quarter of a pound, I think.

I don't have a bike or a car and have to rely on on-site trolleys. Can't go to flea markets, garage sales, and the such with any convenience.

>>76363
The frozen veggies sound like a good idea.

>>76390
Chicken and beef pot pies, frozen burritos, and Banquet frozen dinners. I'm going to look for those tomorrow at Target. Might try sardines/herrings.
>>
>>76474
>I don't have a bike or a car and have to rely on on-site trolleys. Can't go to flea markets, garage sales, and the such with any convenience.
Nigger, take a fucking bus. You'll just be buying a couple of pans.
>>
>>76474
Public transport anon. If possible get a monthly pass or some shit, cheaper than buying a ticket every (other) day and you suddenly have a way to get around.

If it's not an option get a lock and a cheap 20 or so dollar bike off of craigslist or your country's equivalent site.
>>
>>76347
Okay, get you a microwave steamer bowl. You can find them in the dollar store. You put water in the bottom and it steams whatever you put in the top (it still microwaves it, but the mass of water in the bottom means it microwaves it less).

Now you can has steamed fishies, veggies, etc.

With a crock pot and a rice cooker, you can make red rice, kedgeree, etc. Start off in the crockpot, finish the rice in the rice cooker.

Easy breakfast: beat three eggs with a splash of milk and a teaspoon of butter. Nuke a sausage until it's cooked*, then chop it up. Nuke the egg mixture for 20 seconds, then stir, and repeat. On the last go, mix in the sausage.

Microwaves don't cook meat prettily, and don't caramelise the outside, so you need to use meats and recipes that don't care about that. Hotdogs, cool. Steaks no. Sausages awesome, bacon not so much.

* You should also get a probe: you can get cheap ones quite easily; they're just not as robust and not as quick as the professional ones
>>
>>76368
I don't think you've ever been poor.

Value bread would have to be four times shitter, because by mass it costs a quarter of what pretty bread like that does.
>>
>>76347
Also you can cook jacket potatoes in a microwave.

Then add tunafishes, ranch, cheese, beans, pulled pork*, etc.

* you can get microwaveable in a carton. bit pricey but it goes a long way when used to flavour
>>
is it possible to cook healthy vegan meals while being poor?
>>
>>76347
Get cheap canned soup. Can open the can and put in a bowl or jug and microwave it. Is warm and filling and even tasty most of the time. If you want a bit extra dip in a slice of bread and if you want to be luxurious butter that bread.
Also >>76545 is recommended, though if you don't want to go the extra mile just put some butter/margarine on it.
>>
>>76614
Yes, but you won't get much variation as most vegan stuff sold has a markup put on it. You can do things like fried/boiled rices with different vegetables or baked potatoes fairly cheaply though.
>>
>>76614
Not really; pick two.

The problem is that the bit of the vegan diet that's healthy is all the expensive fresh vegetables. If all you're eating all day is bread fries and lentils, your diet is going to be way less healthy than an equivalently-priced diet that includes meat and dairy.

Specifically, if you're omitting the pricey fresh vegetables, you'll have a hard job getting enough protein and b-vitamins, maybe also vitamin c, and the vegetable oil and simple carbohydrate makes it easy to eat too many calories.
>>
File: kanbaru & sengoku.jpg (242 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
kanbaru & sengoku.jpg
242 KB, 700x700
Can't use an electric burner because it has set off smoke alarms before.

>>76545
>>76627
Jacket potatoes with cheese, beans, and frozen vegetables sounds nice.

I've considered microwaving canned soup before. I'll try it.

I've got a ton of options now, and I'm grateful for the help.
>>
>>76644
They don't have to always go for the fresh stuff. You can usually find stuff discounted if you go to a store at night as they try to clear out stuff for the next day, and they can also opt for the frozen mixed veg option which normally fairly cheap. Is basically the same thing nutritionally just probably not as tasty or nice of a texture.
Getting stuff like cheap fruit is more troublesome though, other than getting lucky with the discount option or opting for something like cheap jam as a replacement.
>>
>>76736
It's not the same nutritionally, which is one of the reasons why it's reduced.

Fresh fruits and fresh vegetables are alive when you eat them. If you let them die and start to decompose, they're not going to have all the healthy vitamins they had when they were alive.

Freezing and cooking destroys nutrients also.
>>
buy potatoes and put them in the microwave for a while and put whatever you want in it like cheese and sour cream, really fills you up and super cheap
>>
just eat your shit
>>
>>76752
After you cooked them the difference will be negligible since most of the nutrients are changed during the cooking process.
Has even been studies to show that it can sometimes be even more healthy to have frozen.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/09/frozen-food-healthier-than-fresh_n_4068900.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2902223.stm
Fresh would be nice, but as was said before it isn't cheap so next best option is to just use frozen which is still healthy which was what that anon was after.
>>
Poached eggs are really easy to make in the microwave. Also Campbells chunky soup or Progresso canned soup is pretty cheap. I can usually find it on sale for a dollar each, but it's really filling.
>>
is dog food unealthy to be an everyday meal?
>>
>>76818
If you're stooping low enough for dog food, you might as well just buy Soylent
>>
>>76839
whoa...
its like...
all those cartoons i watched that had the astronaut foods compressed into a pill suddently became real...
>>
>>76841
still, it isn't available at my country
>>
>>76221
Have you tried growing your own pineapples?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.