[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm writing fiction and I need help choosing a name for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1422195071436.jpg (34 KB, 535x462) Image search: [Google]
1422195071436.jpg
34 KB, 535x462
I'm writing fiction and I need help choosing a name for something.

Giant suit of armor, I'm going to call them either goliaths or warmongers.

You decide.
>>
they are thematically completely different. the term Goliath will always carry a biblical meaning. does that fit your theme? then go for the more mythological name. if it doesn't - take the other. although i find it quite lacking and it always conjures up the image of the people causing the war, not the machine it is fought with...
>>
>>75371
Soflo
>>
Suit.
>>
>>75371
The proper term is Clonky Bonky Sword and Stompy
>>
Call 'em something something unexpected, like Grinders or Interrupters. I dunno, think outside the box.
>>
Big ol' guys.
>>
call 'em World Treaders
>>
>>76239
alternatively Sky Stompers
>>
Chunkie
>>
how big? and what is the setting? futuristic? magical? magical and medieval? comparable to our current technology? what?
>>
>>75371
megaplate
>>
Like an animate suit of armor, or one you wear?
Either way, call them Skulmetals.
>>
File: 2cdk8ao.png (312 KB, 561x466) Image search: [Google]
2cdk8ao.png
312 KB, 561x466
Call them coffins cus those who put on this armor are committing their life til the cause
>>
>>76281

Medieval. They are ancient, originally weapons used to fight and commit genocide on the dragons of my world. They have since then been repurposed to be used in wars.

These suits fueled by an energy source created by hundreds, if not thousands of human souls crushed together in a large vessel at the core of the suit. Wearers enter the vessel and submerge themselves in the mixture of souls to control the suit.

The suits themselves are twenty feet tall, not too big but large enough to stomp all over the common masses and flatten men when they fall over.

Sorry for the lack of information
earlier. Something came up and I didn't have any time to reply to anything.
>>
>>76690
(Continued)

What suits remain in the world is all that's left, I'm thinking there is around 4,000 discoved suits. There is no known way to replicate the technique needed to forge the soul-based energy source used to power the suit. Thus making them all the more precious to an army.

Only certain people with a unique bloodline are capable of bonding with the souls contained at the suits core. As this is special, the nobility of my world has done their best to keep such individuals in noble circles and families. Peasantry or commoners discovered with the bloodline automatically become some form of noble and either watched or sent off to training.

Most of these wielders begin their training at a young age, typically five ot six, beginning with the rank of page, progressing to squire, then ending when they obtain the rank of Paladin. Whereas most women could never become a normal knight or fight as a soldier in a war, gender matters very little if young girls are discovered to have the bloodline- they will still be trained.

Smaller kingdoms have a single school where these individuals are brought up and trained, while larger kingdoms or empires might have two or even three. As customs varry between kingdoms, the terminology may be the same but the techniques used in training may differ in some ways.

(I'm a tad torn on whether I want to call them Paladins or Sentinels.)

Paladins are knighted and thus knights, but they are above any non-bloodline knights and only answer to the upper-elite aristocracy (Dukes and Earls). Unlike the common knight the Paladin can be summoned for war, by their king, for an indefinite amount of time.

They are required to get special permission if they want to leave the kingdom for any reason, often tracked and monitored by hawks or falcons during their outing. Such individuals are required to have at least two children to continue their lineage and pass the bloodline.
>>
As a writefag, I'd suggest against using verbs for naming things. It comes off lazy and uninspired in the long run and will become even more bothersome if you ever have to use the verb itself relatively close to whatever it is you named after it.

Reading the posts detailing things, I'm getting a fairly high-fantasy vibe from this. Anyway, point is, you're doing medieval themes with relatively "epic" standards for conflict/combat. Look into old english or latin etymology (like levin [middle english] and fulminate [latin/middle english] as examples) and devise your own words.

Key thing that stuck out to me:

>These suits fueled by an energy source created by hundreds, if not thousands of human souls crushed together in a large vessel at the core of the suit. Wearers enter the vessel and submerge themselves in the mixture of souls to control the suit.

This is more or less how coal/diamonds are formed, so you could even look into metallurgy (hell, look into alchemic terms from the middle ages too) for a base of a name for this battle armor. I won't come up with one for you, but this'll at least give you something to work with.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.