[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/ I'm trying to downsize my system partition but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: XDDDD.png (167 KB, 1920x1033) Image search: [Google]
XDDDD.png
167 KB, 1920x1033
Sup /g/

I'm trying to downsize my system partition but some files are trolling me. I've tried defragmenting with Auslogics Disk Defrag, Defraggler and UltraDefrag, but to no avail.
WTF can I do?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
[spoiler]The goal is to clone my system partition to an SSD[/spoiler]
>>
wow.
great board.
>>
delete the files?
Tried defrag+optimize instead of just defrag?
>>
>>7263
This, jus optimise dat shit white boy
>>
>>7263
The file is "Reserved for MFT"
Sounds like ass to me
>>
>>7292
Unmount the drive before defragging
Use a live distro if you need to
>>
>>7157
this isn't /g/

try again
>>
>>7322
>live distro
I don't intend to mess with my Windows partitions using experimental software
>>
>>7344
You are given an easy solution to your problem
It's up to you to solve your problem now
>>
>>7292
http://superuser.com/questions/316003/how-do-you-defragment-the-mft-on-an-ntfs-disk
>>
>>7148
Easeus Partition Master. Grab an older version like 9.2.2 or below since the newer versions won't allow you to resize partitions without a paid license.
>>
>>7148
NTFSresize, as used by Gparted and its LiveCD, doesn't give a fuck about files being in the way. It just moves them out when it's resizing the partition.

You should download the gparted ISO and use that to resize your partitions.
>>
>>7177
You're still gonna have to resize it, or the system's gonna try to write past the end of the smaller disk.
>>
>>8466
No, no, no.

Why would you use proprietary crap that wants you to pay just to do simple shit, when there's a solution that's completely free and has been widely used and tested for over a decade?

Completely. Free.

No ridiculous restrictions.

No nagging you for money.

Extensively tested.

http://gparted.org/livecd.php
>>
>>8470
GParted will resize your volumes, but it can also cause weird problems with NTFS partitions. I'd stick with EaseUS since it actually uses Windows' built in NTFS support instead of a hacked-up 3rd party driver based on what little information is available about NTFS' inner workings.
>>
>>8479
I've used Gparted, it's shit for NTFS. Like I said, just use an older version. Hell I'll even link it:
http://filehippo.com/download_easeus_partition_master_home/13982/
>>
>>8496
An older version of Easeus I mean, derp. Anyway, this isn't /g/, nobody gives a shit about software being open/closed source here, as long as it works.
>>
>>8487
No it doesn't.

If NTFSresize was fucking up disks, then Ubuntu (which uses it in its installer) would be fucking up disks, and everyone and his dog would know about it. "Ubuntu wrecked my PC" would be all over the news.

Chances are your dumb ass is cloning a GPT disk, when it should be making a new GPT disk and copying the partitions.

GPT disks and partitions have globally-unique serial numbers.

Windows will do terrible things if it encounters the "same" volumes and partitions on two different devices at the same time. You'll be lucky if it even boots, and if it does, it's a coin-toss as to where your data ends up.
>>
>>8487
Clearly it doesn't, because Windows doesn't support shrinking NTFS partitions. If it did, there'd be no need for your tool, becase the functionality would already be there in Disk Management.

>>8497
This isn't a muh freedoms argument, this is simply Gparted costs nothing, works, and has been around for decades.

All the weird stuff that's inexplicably being recommended in this thread costs money, doesn't work, and hasn't been around for decades.

How is the choice not obvious?
>>
>>8500
>>8503
Bitch please, I've used both and Easeus works better. But whatever, Gparted will get the job done, just don't be surprised if you encounter a bunch of cleanup messages in chkdsk. Even though Linux has had NTFS support for a while, I still don't entirely trust how its implemented.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.