[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
USB controller not getting recognized (code 29)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: gamepad.jpg (17 KB, 470x266) Image search: [Google]
gamepad.jpg
17 KB, 470x266
My controller was working fine a week ago, but when i decided to play a game today it just told me that the usb device isn't being recognize by windows or that its damage. which is odd because i left it in my desk this whole time, so nothing has happen to it.
i checked the device manager and it tells me "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)"
how do i fix this?
>>
I'd uninstall the driver, then plug it back in to reinstall
>>
>>66471
it didn't work.
oddly enough the other usb controller i have does work. but i don't like using it because the analog stick is broken.
>>
>>66474
did you try it on another computer?
that would rule out which is the issue
>>
>>66476
sadly, i don't have another computer at hand.
so the best i can tell you at the moment, (until i go out and ask a friend to let me borrow his computer) is that plugging the controller on any usb port, even a usb hub still gives me the problem.
>>
>>66480
my gut says it's a software issue, but the easiest way to tell is if it works on another pc

did you make any kind of changes since you last used it?
>>
>>66486
>>66486
i installed some games and a program to convert mkv files to mp4.
other than that i haven't mess with the my computer too much.
i could try asking a friend to let me borrow his computer, but that would take a couple of hours because its 1:40 am here.
but i find it weird how that specific controller got mess up while the other one which is exactly the same, but with a broken analog, still works.
>>
>>66492
exactly the same one?

that is really strange...
>>
File: 20160226_015853.jpg (589 KB, 2389x1297) Image search: [Google]
20160226_015853.jpg
589 KB, 2389x1297
>>66500
here's a picture (not that it really helps i guess)
left one is the one that wont get recognize (but still turns on the lights)
right one is the one that gets recognize.
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 400x455) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 400x455
>>66459
Probably a driver issue. If you can, can you open the properties of the device and go to the details tab and then take a screenshot of the hardware IDs? Like pic related.
Can then see if I can find another driver for it from it.

>>66502
They might not have the same hardware on the inside even if they look kinda similar. You can compare them by looking at the hardware IDs between them and see if they match.
>>
>>66459
>>66617
Oh it also wouldn't go amiss to update your chipset and USB drivers as sometimes they can play up with some devices.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ - for intel chipsets
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download - for AMD chipsets

https://communities.intel.com/thread/31820?start=0&tstart=0
Someone had some success with just uninstalling and then reinstalling the USB 3 driver if you have that.
>>
>>66617
OP said it was working before...shouldn't need any other driver other than the MS gamepad one or one from plug-play
>>
>>66648
Some update could have been pushed through windows update and borked some drivers up.
>shouldn't need any other driver other than the MS gamepad one or one from plug-play
Is also why I suggested >>66624 as well since the USB controllers can sometimes be the problem as shown in the last link.
>>
>>66650
I already suggested uninstalling and letting windows re-do it, but no-go

it's possible something updated on its own, but I doubt it (if it was using the generic driver)

I've had my share of stupid driver problems, and as dumb as they can be, sometimes they end up resolving themselves

I'd still like to hear what happened when it was tried with another system
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 781x572) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 781x572
>>66659
He might have only did it for the USB driver for the gamepad not the USB controllers themselves(pic related). Which was how the other guy solved it apparently.
And yea testing in another system is the best way to confirm if the gamepad is actually a dud or not.
>>
File: usbid.png (16 KB, 412x461) Image search: [Google]
usbid.png
16 KB, 412x461
>>66617
here is the picture of the ID. didn't really gave me much information.
i will be meeting up with my friend soon, so i will reply in a couple of hours about using it on another pc.
>>
>>66682
i uninstalled both the usb controller from the device manager and i uninstalled the joypad drivers and reinstalled it from the original cd.
>>
>>66701
Maybe also try with all the USB hubs?
http://www.avsim.com/topic/469294-usb-device-not-recongnized/
Someone also mentioned that a windows update borked up one of his devices in the thread so as a last resort (without a full reinstall) maybe do a system restore to a time when it was working? Though wait on seeing if it works at your friends before doing that.
>>
>>66719
I already tried with a USB hub. Non of the 4 port in the hub worked.

But as for my friends computer. It did work on his computer. It installed correctly and I can play the game just fine. So does that give you an idea for what's wrong with my computer?
>>
>>66780
I meant the root hub drivers seen here >>66682
And only thing left would be to system restore to the last time it worked and see if that does anything. Windows usually makes one after every windows update so there should be something that you can roll back to.
>>
>>66784
I have never try that. Would that only change windows OS? Or should I backup my stuff on a external hard drive and then try it?
>>
>>66803
It basically acts kinda like a save state of the OS. It saves the current system settings and drivers and programs at the time the restore point is made. It normally doesn't fuck with saved files and documents etc, but it is still best to back up your stuff before hand.
Also you should also have the option to revert the restore afterwards to put it back to where it was before you did the restore.
You will need to reinstall any programs you installed after the restore point (as in the time between the point was made and now) though if you stay with it.
Should see the option in the start menu if you search system restore.
Here is a small guide
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11238/using-system-restore-to-recover-your-windows-7-computer/
>>
>>66780
I figured so...

Try the system restore. It should show you the affected programs before you do it. See if windows updates are listed.
>>
File: dammit.png (7 KB, 340x106) Image search: [Google]
dammit.png
7 KB, 340x106
>>66810
>>66852
so i try it and it didn't work.
maybe i needed to go back even more, but the last restoration point was in 2/24/16
any ideas?
>>
>>67052
wasn't it from before the last time you used it?
>>
>>67054
I'm sorry, but i didn't understand, could you rephrase it? do you mean the last time i used the controller before the restoration point? or do you mean if that message showed up when i try it on the other computer?
>>
>>67058
was the restore point you used from before the last time you had it working?

now that you know it's not a problem with the controller, it's just a matter of finding out why the driver for it isn't working

I would think restoring the changes, if any, should have replaced whatever may have been altered....I guess you could try going back further, but that's up to you

you said there was an install disc, right? is there an uninstaller and or any other software with it that could be removed? if there is an uninstaller, did you try that yet (or just removing it from device manager)?

when you installed it, did windows have to get any other drivers from windows update?
>>
>>67063
>was the restore point you used from before the last time you had it working?
no, i would need to go a whole week back when i was using the controller.

>I guess you could try going back further, but that's up to you
the restoration point only let's me go as far as the 24 of this month. I can't go farther back.

>you said there was an install disc, right? is there an uninstaller and or any other software with it that could be removed? if there is an uninstaller, did you try that yet (or just removing it from device manager)?
>when you installed it, did windows have to get any other drivers from windows update?

I already uninstalled the usb controller from the device manager and uninstalled the drivers.

after reinstalling the drivers i inserted the usb and gave me the message. using windows update doesn't change the drivers either.
>>
>>67075
if the restore point wasn't from the time when it was working/before the last time you use it, it's not going to do anything to restore the previous driver configuration....looks like that's a dead end

I don't think the usb itself is the issue, as long as you haven't had issues with any other usb devices

at this point I don't know what else to suggest besides an upgrade install of windows, and there's no guarantee there

I've had some really weird issues with some devices that simply did want to connect, turns out my firewall was blocking it from being "accessed"

(some others I still have not figured out how to get working....despite that they work fine on other computers with the exact same setup)

did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the driver from within safe mode?
>>
>>67082
>did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the driver from within safe mode?
i have not. i will give it a try.
i will also check my firewall just in case its blocking it.
>>
Where did you get the controller? If it's a shoddy knock off it might not work at all. Check the reviews for the item and see if anyone else is complaining about it too.
>>
>>67151
i got it from an electronic store. It's kinda like radioshack. The controllers are good, but they just don't last that long with intense gaming sessions (i fucked up my analog stick for moving it too much in mario party mini games)

>>67089
well i tried uninstalling it from safe mode, and then checking to see if i could update the drivers from windows update.
after a bit of loading it said driver install, and for a second there i though the controller finally was fix. but after unplugging it and plugin it back again, it gave me the error message again. ugh.
>>
>>67233
Well only option left is to reinstall windows. You could try it in multiple ways. First what >>67082 said with an upgrade install which is basically a dirty install of where you basically trick the installer to upgrade to the same OS leaving all your files intact, but it is called dirty for a reason and will leave some drivers and other stuff and is mostly useful in repairing system errors and files.
Next would be to just do a bog standard wipe and clean install.
Your other option would be to upgrade to windows 10 (which is still free for win 7 and 8 users) since it looks like you are using win 7 from this >>66700 picture (the top is aero glass and not flat looking).

Well, actually you do have another option if you are really desperate and don't want to reinstall. If you have soldering iron you could open up your controllers and transplant the working analogue stick from the controller over to the other one. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are feeling up to it though.
>>
>>67251
I think i will just format my computer and reinstall windows 7. that way i can at least get rid of any junk file that may be fucking up my computer. I have an external hard drive, so it isn't much of a problem.

>Your other option would be to upgrade to windows 10
nah, I'm good with 7. I don't really like how windows 10 looks.

Thanks for the help! hopefully i will get it fix by formatting it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.