[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My computer won't boot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: motgerboard.jpg (144 KB, 800x584) Image search: [Google]
motgerboard.jpg
144 KB, 800x584
Before we get into any of this, I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT MOSTLY ANYTHING INVOLVING BUILDING PC'S. THIS IS MY FIRST ONE. PLEASE DON'T CRITICIZE ME IF I'M INCOMPETENT.

Ok, so I've built my computer after all the parts came in. I followed an online guide, put everything together and plugged it in and nothing. I can include specific pictures, but I have no idea what the problem is. Everything is plugged in, I assume, and it is receiving power. Help. Pic related, my motherboard
>>
>>61240
Make sure your power supply can provide enough power.
>>
>>61246
How would one do that?
>>
>>61247
Use something like http://powersupplycalculator.net/ to get a general idea of how much power you'd use.
Buy a PSU stronger that what you'd need. [spoiler]Should have done this before buying parts.[/spoiler]

Check the PSU cables are fully connected to motherboard, CPU, HDD, etc.
>>
>>61254
i really don't think power is the issue here, i don't know what is.
I think it might be dust, and I'm really afraid some dust might've gotten into it cause I left the parts around for a while before I actually got to building it. I don't think they got too damaged. I might post a picture, once my phone charges.
>>
Is it really plugged in
Is the power supply on/off switch on
Do the parts even start up, for example do the hard drives start
Is your monitor cable plugged into the right port. If you've got a graphics card installed you won't get picture if you plug the monitor cable in to the one on the motherboard.
>>
Give us all SPECS.
>>
>>61263
Yes.
Yes.
I'm not sure.
Yes, it's plugged into graphics card.
>>
>>61265
I don't have the exact specs, sorry. I realize it was a really bad idea to get rid of the page that had my build, but here's what I can see.
CX600M power supply
Motherboard in image
MSI Graphics card (don't know what type)
WD Blue hard drive
Intel cooling fan, I think it came with the processor.
>>
>>61269
Oh, and F3-12800CL9D-8G Ripjaws X RAM
>>
Unplug everything (including graphic card) except a memory stick and a keyboard. Plug your montor to one of the motherboard ports (VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI). If you have more than one RAM stick, check one by one and make sure you have it connected to a slot closest to CPU.
>>
>>61266
Open the case and check that all parts are getting power when you put it on. Fans are spinning, any lights on the parts are on, whether or not hard drives are spinning and such. You can tell if the hard drive is on just by listening and touching.

Other than that if all parts appear to be working and you still don't get picture on your monitor then it might be that your monitor/cable is fucked or your graphics card/ram stick/motherboard is busted.

If you have a laptop or such you can easily check if the cable and monitor are working. Other than that it might just as well be that one of the parts is a dead on arrival part in which case you should get it refunded/traded for a working one.

Try this first though:
>>61271
>>
Other thing. Is your CPU fan / radiator properly connected? That's very important.
>>
>>61271
like, remove the graphics card or just unplug it?
>>
>>61269
Give us a motherboard model name as well as a CPU model name. You have to have that somewhere.

>>61281
Remove it and put it aside.
>>
File: 001.jpg (47 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
47 KB, 550x413
There's a switch on your PSU. Is it on?
>>
>>61271
did all of this, tried turning on computer, nothing.
no fan spinning, no hard drive spinning. all i get is motherboard LED's on.

>>61285
Motherboard is H97 Pro Gamer E9495
>>
>>61290
yep
>>
>>61294
>Motherboard is H97 Pro Gamer E9495

Now, the CPU model? And check that CPU radiator connection. Give us the picture of the front and the bottom of your mobo.
>>
File: IMG_1831.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1831.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
picture of my setup right now.
wat do.
>>
>>61298
ok i think i might've found problem
i tried to remove the cpu fan and one of the pins is stuck.
>>
>>61294
Sounds like your motherboard is broken if I had to take an uneducated guess. If you have an old motherboard lying around you can try plugging all the parts on that and seeing if any of them get power/turn on. Can't be the power supply since a CX600M has enough power to run any regular setup.
>>
>>61303
fuck, really?
i don't have the kinda money to replace that, and the only other motherboard i have is clogged with dust.
fuck, are you 100% sure?
>>
>>61302
>i tried to remove the cpu fan and one of the pins is stuck.

Every single pin has to stuck. Check the back of your mobo if they're stuck well. They can't be loose.
>>
>>61305
it was loose, so i tried removing it, but one of the pins is stuck in the mobo.
>>
>>61306
Just fit them in properly.
>>
>>61308
what? no they were in there now they won't come out.
>>
>>61304
Of course I'm not sure since I'm just a random guy making a guess based on limited information and without having seen it myself, but sadly it is starting sound like it. If the motherboard gets power but no other parts do then it can just as well be a problem with the motherboard.

Best bet would be to get confirmation by taking your old motherboard and dusting it off with compressed air or such and trying to set your stuff up with it just to see if the problem is somewhere else.

Of course jumping to the conclusion that the motherboard is broken is a common noob mistake so go though your shit once more and check that everything is as it should (no pins broken on the cpu for example). Other than that start looking for your receipts and try to claim DOA and get a replacement one.
>>
>>61310
i might just end up getting a new mother board anyway. I had my friend come over and tell me what was wrong with it and he said that he thinks the motherboard is scratched, i was hoping he was wrong, but i guess not.

i suppose i'll save up for another motherboard, since finding the receipt is out of the question. thanks guys
>>
>>61309
youtube.com/watch?v=AegVBU_fo-8
>>
>>61300
maybe your psu is dead. remove it from the case and plug it into the wall then insert a paper clip into the mobo plug and it should turn on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLy8rZRjU8
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.