[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 7, 8.1, or 10?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: qb.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
qb.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
Windows 7, 8.1, or 10?
>>
>>6114
7 is too outdated
10 is botnet shit
>>
>>6114
just go ubuntu, windows a shit.
seriously, ubuntu is just much more handy and easy to use, plus it's faster and FREE!
>>
>>6114
>>
>>6122
I asked here because I want to get away from /g/ linux shit. Xubuntu is already on my laptop
>>
>>6114
I like 7. I don't see the point in downgrading to 8 or 10.
>>
>>
>>6137
Well, if you already have Ubuntu, why don't you also install Ubuntu, Gnomebuntu, UbuntuStudio, KXStudio, Mint, Debian and Gentoo?
All are better than any Windows distro.
>>
File: 1343743879145.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1343743879145.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>
I use 10 and I miss 7. Too much has been dumbed down in 10.
>>
7 still works as fine as any of the "upgraded" versions, without any of the unnecessary fluff (although has quite a bit of fluff of its own. Fuck micro$hit for killing XP)

>>6122
What about the users who need use shit like adobe software and sony vegas?
>>
>>6201
To be fair, can't you just dual-boot? I'm not sure why one has to choose either a Linux distro or Windows.
>>
>>6114
>>
>>6114
8.1 if you a real nigga with a touchscreen monitor
7 if your everyone else
>>
>>6119
>Magically 8.1 is neither outdated nor a botnet
Top cukc, might as well use xp.
>>
7 everything else is wrong.
>>
>>6114
I'm using 7 now. Had a machine with 8.1 on it, was fine after I fixed the start menu with Classic Shell. Didn't see a point in putting 8 on this new machine I'm on.

10's got issues and I dunno if MS will bother fixing them, since some of the dumber issuers (eg, no update disable, you can postpone them but not outright disable them) are deliberate.

tempted to say use 8.1 just because 7 might be losing software support at some point in the near future, and the most egregious change (the start menu) can be fixed in seconds

>>6122
>faster
depends on what you work on, and Linux is generally less convenient for most ordinary tasks (I like LibreOffice, but Writer's .doc/docx support isn't ideal and it only goes downhill from there)
Hardware support ranges from excellent to fucking awful, too. Wifi is still an issue, mostly because Broadcom is a fucking shit company. Video acceleration is an issue, unless you're on Intel integrated graphics (and that's barely accelerated video).

as a side note, Wine seems to be actually faster than actual Windows for a large amount of things (but its DirectDraw implementation is raw ass and super slow, so there's a bunch of old games that run like dogshit in Wine on machines that should be more than able to run it)
Wine is still buggy as fuck and there's a bunch of unimplemented shit, but you can reasonably expect a program to run in some capacity if it gets past the installer.

Wouldn't trust it in a production environment without a shitton of testing, and you'd have to make sure not to update Wine to make sure the shit that works today doesn't break (but you lose the potential bug fixes and shit).
>>
>>6114
Definitely 8.1. It's like 7 with a bunch of small improvements and none of 10's bullshit. Just remember to install Classic Shell to get the start menu back.
>>
>>6114
10, duh.

It's all the best bits of 7 and the best bits of 8, without any of the shittery from either of them.

And it's free.
>>
>>6273
>Just remember to install Classic Shell to get the start menu back.
Or you could upgrade to 10 and not have to?

Just a thought.
>>
7, maybe 10
never 8

i had 7 on my PC and 8 on my notebook. it took me about a week to set-up 8 properly for me (upgrade to 8.1, disable everything, etc) and i still hated it, so i bought another 7.
when 10 rolled out i upgraded the old 8 to 10. i haven't had to use it much, but first impression is, it's much *much* better than 8 and way closer to 7 than 8 was.

i don't think they'll can support for 7 that soon. hell, XP ran out just 2-3 years ago and there's still Vista inbetween. also: most of the corporate world is still on 7, since 8 was shit for office work. still, it's worth a consideration when you're buying a new OS.

is 10 really so bad? am i overlooking something? like i said - i have it installed on my notebook but haven't used it much. i was actually considering upgrading my desktop to 10 in early summer to prolong the support...
>>
>>6293
>i don't think they'll can support for 7 that soon.
Windows 7 is already in extended support (security fixes and nothing else), and leaves extended support on the 14th of January, 2020.

Five years, three weeks from now, it's XP.
>>
>>6312
do you need anything else but security fixes? i'm certainly not lacking any features...

well, 5 years would be plenty. who knows, maybe we'll have quantum computers by then :-P

sadly you can't into math, so it's only 4 years. that's kinda on the fence for a new system, i'll give you that. but if you don't want to fall into that trap you'd have to buy a full version OS anyway, since OEM is tied to your mainboard and that'll probably not last much longer than 4-5 years.
>>
>>6114
>>
8.1 with Windows 7 classic shell.
>>
>>6356
Service packs so you don't have to install 743 updates are nice.

XP would benefit from having a TLS library that could actually connect to modern webservers (this is why iTunes doesn't work on it anymore).

Windows 7 would benefit from natively supporting USB3.

That sort of thing.

If you're never planning on doing anything you're not already doing, and you don't need to be able to interact with any other computer, and you're never upgrading your hardware, then yeah, security updates are all you need.
>>
>>6356
Actually, XP was kill a year ago, so five years is right.
>>
>>6284
>>6290
Fuck off microshill
>>
File: 1410032057003.png (269 KB, 491x404) Image search: [Google]
1410032057003.png
269 KB, 491x404
10 aesthetics hit it just right in my opinion. But similarly, I agree it's a bullshit botnet system full of bloat. Realistically, you can turn off most of the botnet features, delete bloatware, and you actually have a decent OS.
I would do Linux full time because I have an appreciation for their aesthetics even more, but seeing as I like to play games, SteamOS and Linux just isn't there yet.

I just wouldn't do 8.1 again, it worked, but I can't say it worked well for me.
>>
>>6114
Windows 7

RIP Windows XP
>>
>>6114
Windows 7
>>
>>6574
It's less bloat than any Windows since XP.

I particularly like the new compressed swapfile. It's a clean, well-thought-out solution that just works. It doubles your swap bandwidth, for free. http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/17993-windows-10-memory-compression.html
>>
Not OP, but if I upgrade from 7 to 10 what will I be missing?

How much effort would it be to get rid of keylogging, windows updates, and the works?
>>
>>6599
When I say bloat I mainly mean the useless pre-installed apps, pop ups of office 365, and the integration of the cloud and how I don't particularly care for one drive(I primarily use Box for my cloud storage). Bloat/Self marketing, I just don't need it.
Otherwise it's great.
>>
>>6600
It doesn't have keylogging.

That was the price of entry for the free technical preview; it's not present in any of the release versions.
>>
>>6114
>>
>>6600
>what will I be missing?
First of all, an almost decent interface.
>>
>>6114
G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O
>>
>>6114
7 for as long as you can.
>>
7 > 10 > 8

7 just works
10 is botnet but it's surprisingly good if you don't care about piracy or the microsoft boogeyman
And if for some you're thinking about using 8, you might as well just use fucking 10
>>
>>6122
>can't play video games
>>
>>8755
I do care about piracy. Who the fuck wouldn't? Why would anyone with a brain use 10?
>>
>>8810
>>8755
What are you even talking about?

It's free.

Why would you need to pirate it?
>>
>>6114
7 if youre paranoid
8 if youre retarded
10 if you have friends and family
>>
Windows 7 is the modern day XP.

All of your programs run fine on it, it is very stable for the most part, and you should have no issues with drivers.

For me, there is no reason to upgrade.

>>8863
That's a pretty good summary.
>>
>>8836
Do you not understand what is going on? Are you fucking serious right now?
>>
>>6114
Win7 just werks. Grab a copy of Ultimate and Daz Loader and you're good to go.
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
That's a link for the ISOs Digital River used to provide. They're clean and unmodified, just perfect for tweaking in NTLite.
>>
7 professional and you want to not look stupid then use Classic Shell with it.
http://www.classicshell.net/
>>
7>Vista>XP>ME>8.1>98

I've been lucky enough to avoid 10 so far.
>>
>>9759
I fixed that for you
7>XP>98SE>10>8
Anything is greater than 8 or 10, niehter of those deserve a ranking.
And Vista, buhahahahahaha!
>>
8.1 with Start8.
>>
Windows 7.

8.1 is garbage (although I still use it) and 10 steals your data (so do 7 and 8.1 if you install the wrong updates, but at least it's optional). 7 has a decent system without being too old and is fairly secure
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with Windows 10
>>
>>6114
Win 7
>>
>>9759
>vista
>not at the bottom of the list
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.