[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So if I search up an anime on Nyaa, there's a fuckbunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1384501579035.jpg (96 KB, 732x688) Image search: [Google]
1384501579035.jpg
96 KB, 732x688
So if I search up an anime on Nyaa, there's a fuckbunch of different releases. How does one decide which to get?
>>
By learning what the color code means, and knowing if you want to watch the BD release. Avoid anything with "fish" in the subgroups name. (deadfish, bakedfish)
>>
>>60697
The category list let's you chose if you want raws subs or even english subs then there may be multiple sources from diffrent fansubbers and official rips. search around or find out your self which groups are good and not.
>>
MAL has ratings and reviews for sub groups
>>
File: 1439500579213.png (230 KB, 607x500) Image search: [Google]
1439500579213.png
230 KB, 607x500
>>60697
Anything HD, not subbed and not dubbed
>>
>>61069
>trusting MAL
>>
horriblesubs 720p will be the correct option 90% of the time
>>
Narrow it down to English releases first of all. Next familiarize yourself with Nyaa's color coding.

Orange = reencode of an existing release
Green = trusted uploader's release
Blue = considered the "best quality" release by Nyaa's staff

Take the blue rating with a grain of salt, since Nyaa is run by Commie and Underwater staff, who by sheer coincidence earn the blue rating more often than other groups. They do tend to have very high quality video encodes, but their TLs are not always the best.

If the show is currently airing then your best bet for consistent releases is going to be Horriblesubs (who have a trusted Green rating on Nyaa). Horriblesubs is actually not a fansub group, they are a bot that rips simulcast streams like CrunchyRoll, Funimation, Hulu, Daisuki, etc and uploads them in various qualities on nyaa as well as on their own website and IRC channel.

If the show is older then you'll want to look for a BD (blu-ray disc) rip of the show. BD rip groups often use pre-existing fansubs (either just the subs HorribleSubs ripped or another fansub group's) rather than doing an original translation, so if you care about that then check the info on the torrent to see where they got the subs from.
>>
>>61163
Only for currently running shows if you don't want to wait. It's fucking retarded for anything with a BD release.
>>
>>60697
Do you care about quality?
>>
>>61191
Of course archiving is another matter entirely but I doubt the op knows the difference between a bluray rip and a simulcast rip so I don't see that it as being relevant.

Besides it's extremely hard to try and start recommending specific groups without knowing what shows someone wants to archive.
>>
>>60697
Avoid Commie at all times if possible. Their encodes and typesetting are good, but they like to over-localize their shit by either completely over-writing sentences or inserting memes into the show.
>>
>>61311
This. Anything is better than commie.
>>
>>61311
Commie is ok for Monogatari.
>>
File: literally worse than commie.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
literally worse than commie.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>>61314
Commie needs to be judged in a case by case basis. Sometimes they are legitimately the best alternative for a show, Chihayafuru or JoJo for example, other times they just go pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>61321
Best example of commie incompetence was joshiraku where they thought making up their own jokes to put in the subs was "translating" the show.
>>
>>61328
Nope, that's your incompetence for expecting it to be translatable, because you can just translate everything, right?

I mean, how hard can it be?
>>
>>60697
>Softsubs or hardsubs? (Most of the time there are only hardsubs available but they are far better anyway)
>What resolution do you want?
>How good is the video quality?
>Lossless or lossy audio?
>TV or BD?
>How good are the translations?
>Sub or dub?
>>
>>61626
Sorry I mean most of the time there are only softsubs availabe (which are also better)
>>
>>60697
b-but nyaa is kill
>>
ANE = excellent subs for bakemono
Chihiro = chinese translations using a google translate
CoalGirls = more like BloatTraps. they use someone else's subs, sometimes
CoalGuys = no accuracy, made up jokes
Commie = enjoy your memes
Doremi = Hidamari, Precure subs
Elysium = blu-ray rippers use others subs
Final8 = Commie's translator working on his own
Frostii = good k-on subs
gg = memes, trolling, sometimes good subs for the shows they like
GotWoot = good
Hadena = "English is our 15th language."
HorribleSubs= crunchyroll etc rips
Mazui = I think it's good
Nutbladder = only for Hidamari, nothing else
sage = reliable
THORA = blu-ray rippers, other subs
tri4 = "stay healthy"
Underwater = reliable
UTW = reliable
Ureshii = top-notch
WhyNot = why not
yesy = accurate but can get wordy
FFF = it's okay?
DeadFish = re-encodes for poor brazilians
>>
>>61665
2D4U?
MD?
Meguca?
Doki?
KAA?
DHD?
>>
>>61687
>2D4U?
good, he did the eva blu rays recently
>Meguca?
god tier madoka release
>Doki?
no

>MD?
>KAA?
>DHD?
idk
>>
>>61163

The one downside of HS, they never sub the OP and ED.
>>
>>61746
They don't sub anything. All they do is rip from crunchy.
>>
File: explain.png (94 KB, 365x339) Image search: [Google]
explain.png
94 KB, 365x339
>>61665
>tri4 = "stay healthy"
>>
>>61775

▲ ▲
>>
>>61862
FUCK
>>
just make sure to avoid Commie and orange torrent since most of them are shit quality and mp4.

Look for blue and green. If looking for something currently airing, get horriblesubs 720p(don't bother with 1080p) until someone else posts a superior batch.

also check comments here and there, sometimes I found comments suggesting better releases so that was quite helpful
>>
>>61665
>Hadena = "English is our 15th language."
>Underwater = reliable
Rancor you
>>
I just go for what has many downloads and as low GB as possible.
Sometimes I find specific groups, like, I often search out Commie to watch them for example. They do some really nice things that you miss out on if you watch other groups.
>>
>>62628
>I just go for what has many downloads and as low GB as possible.
That would literally be deadfish and HS, that's awful advice.
>>
If what you're looking for is recent, you can check fansub.co to see the overall quality.
>>
>>63154
>fansub.co
Looks pretty good
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.