[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with building a new computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: angry-gorilla-face-wallpaper-4.jpg (431 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
angry-gorilla-face-wallpaper-4.jpg
431 KB, 1024x768
I am fucking done with my computer. Its not terrible per say, but getting in some games FPS that goes from 30 to 40 its making me insane.

I need a powerhouse, i have decided to see if i can get an intel i7 6700k 4ghz, and a single 980ti, ive got no idea on what motherboard to use nor i have any idea on watercooling or what case to use. Can anyone help me with that? ill check if i can get the parts locally for a cheap price (i live in southamerica, so prices are at least twice what you get in the US)
>>
gotta bump, i seriously have no idea about motherboards and i know no one who can help me.
>>
>only 30 to 40 fps
You poor baby.
This is a slow board, no need to bump, just wait an hour or two
>>
>>60261
Well, i live in southamerica so 3 or 4 years ago it was the best i could get. i5 2500k and a 6950 with 8gb DDR3 ram for 1700 USD. Funny enough, i can get i7 6th gen 6700k for around 800 or 700 USD, wich is nice, and an 980ti for around 1k USD, wich is pretty cheap compared to the other options.
>>
>>60241
Okay anon, i will help.
> intel i7 6700k
Great processor, overclockable but i do not recommend you overclock yet. Use it as is. Also skylake uses DDR4 and DDR3L RAM.

ASRock Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157643

best motherboard for that cpu that does break the bank. LGA 1151 socket (as your cpu) and uses DDR4 RAM

Now seeing as you're using a 980ti, i'll post 2 ram options. 980ti being a pretty high end GPU, though i am not sure which brand/VRAM config you want/have.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB. 2 x 8GB Dimms (DDR4)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233833

OR
Same as above but 8GB, 2 x 4GB Dimms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233825

Power Supply: EVGA 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold (Modular)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83U90740
This should be more than enough juice to power that system with some room for overclocking later on.

Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H90, its a self contained liquid cooling loop. just read the instructions, mount to your case, then mount onto your cpu. Make sure you have thermal paste on there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HM6999

last part about the case is a bit tricky because that varies from individual to individual. My personal favorite is the NZXT phantom 240.

Also anon, don't forget to ger a SLC or MLC SSD for that build.
>>
>>60296
>processor

Due to my budget, i have been thinking about instead getting a 4790, since its using DDR3 i can use my DDR3 ram and motherboard instead of buying new.

I am not "using" a 980ti, its been in my options, yet again, too expensive, so instead a friend convinced me about trying the 950/960 instead

>power supply

I already have a 750 watts in my current PC (at least i think its 750) so i want to see if everything sums up and my PSU can run it.

I will keep your suggestion, tho, since i suspect my PSU is fucked up.

>Cooler

I know that self contained liquid cooling systems are easy to mount, however i've been thinking about getting a manual watercooling case, not so much because of its cooling power as much as because i want to get some practice with watercooled cases in the future.

I've decided that since i dont have enough money for an SSD either i will have to keep my 2tb HDD, its slow, but it does the job, besides, for the same price i would be getting like a 250gb SSD, if i find a cheap SSD that i can use to mount windows and use the rest of the HDD to install my shit i will.
>>
>>60327
>>60296
Just checked. 2tb SSD costs 2k USD, out of budget. However there are some 120gb that i find quite good for around 100 USD.

I will still try to find cases tho, they are quite expensive down here, i use right now a thermaltake. I will never buy a fucking thermaltake again. Fuckers sealed all of the 4 fans with glue and 3 of them are broken and i couldn't fix them. Had to take the side cover off since the cooler was broke and it would only hinder the cooling of the computer.
>>
Just a small update, ive decided on the 4790k (4ghz, but slower than the lastest i7 6700k) And to use an Nvidia 960, wich should be a big update compared to my current AMD 6950, might buy that SSD, The new case is still on the air and sugestions are welcome.
>>
>>60327

>Due to my budget, i have been thinking about instead getting a 4790, since its using DDR3 i can use my DDR3 ram and motherboard instead of buying new.

i7-4790 or i7-4790k? i7-4790 is Haswell, Uses regular DDR3 (which is fine) but i7-4790k is Devils Canyon, not sure what type of RAM it supports.

>I am not "using" a 980ti, its been in my options, yet again, too expensive, so instead a friend convinced me about trying the 950/960 instead
Go for the 960, the 4GB version. With a GTX 960 you won't need a 750 watt PSU, i think a 650 watt should do fine.

>I already have a 750 watts in my current PC (at least i think its 750) so i want to see if everything sums up and my PSU can run it.

>I will keep your suggestion, tho, since i suspect my PSU is fucked up.
Your PSU is pretty important, it's the last thing you'd ever want to cheap out on. Get somehting like a Corsair or EVGA or Seasonic or Thermaltake or XFX. Do some research on whatever you pick up, just avoid those OEM ones.

>I know that self contained liquid cooling systems are easy to mount, however i've been thinking about getting a manual watercooling case, not so much because of its cooling power as much as because i want to get some practice with watercooled cases in the future.

If you're gonna go with a i7-4790 and GTX 960 then the stock cooler for the i7-4790 is fine, save up a bit more and invest in a good case and custom cooling parts. The GTX 960 won't push that i7-4790 in gaming much, so its temps should be fine even with stock.
>>
>>60330
>I've decided that since i dont have enough money for an SSD either i will have to keep my 2tb HDD, its slow, but it does the job, besides, for the same price i would be getting like a 250gb SSD, if i find a cheap SSD that i can use to mount windows and use the rest of the HDD to install my shit i will.

A 250GB or even a 120GB MLC SSD will do fine for OS and installed programs. use your HDD has a storage drive for your larger files. I suggest a 250G SSD (MLC) for your OS and main programs.

>>60376
>Just a small update, ive decided on the 4790k (4ghz, but slower than the lastest i7 6700k) And to use an Nvidia 960, wich should be a big update compared to my current AMD 6950, might buy that SSD, The new case is still on the air and sugestions are welcome.

4790k uses DDR3 RAM so you're in the clear. Use a CM hyper 212 evo for stock. But you can easily overclock that Cpu, just keep it cool,

You'll need a SSD for such a goof build, otherwise that would massively bottleneck the system.

A cheaper case i know of is the NZXT source 210, there are 2 versions. One is pretty basic but great and cheap, like $35 USD (available in Black and White) and another which is about $5 (USD) more and has USB 3.0 and a side window. Pick up some cheap 120 mm fans for the case, keep it positive. (ew dust)
>>
>>60392
Good* build.
>>
>>60378
>i7-4790 or i7-4790k?
-k. It also uses DDR3.

>Go for the 960, the 4GB version. With a GTX 960 you won't need a 750 watt PSU, i think a 650 watt should do fine.

Thx anon, you made me check, i had listed in the cart the 2gb version, i found a 4gb MSI edition for 25-30 USD more. There is also a ZOTAC, i dont know wich one to get. Also, now i know i can recycle the PSU.

>Your PSU is pretty important, it's the last thing you'd ever want to cheap out on.

Its not a cheap PSU, it has served me well for around 4 years, problem is that my computer sometimes just stops working and i need to restart it, but then my monitor gets no signal.

The problem sometimes fixed itself by removing the ram sticks, so i assumed it was a problem with my RAM, but with my new ram it keeps ahppening, maybe the RAM gets magnetized or something, maybe my PC just gets too hot due to the lack of cooling, maybe its just my CRT monitor, i will check again once i get my new 1080p monitor this week.

>save up a bit more and invest in a good case and custom cooling parts

That's not easy here. For some reason gaming cooling cases have a higher price factor than the GPUs when imported here. However i really want to learn how to use watercooling.
>>
>>60392
>Use a CM hyper 212 evo for stock. But you can easily overclock that Cpu, just keep it cool,
I am really not a fan of OCing. Maybe its just me, but an old IT friend of mine who helped me get this PC told me that OCing, even slightly, was dangerous and it increased the chance of failure on your hardware by a lot, and that it was dumb to OC a system if you couldn't replace it and/or if it didn't had watercooling.

I will think about the SSD, but its not like the HDD its a pain in the ass. This 2tb masterpiece has lasted a long time with me. Even after all the win 7 updates making my computer take around 1 minute to turn on, when base stock wni 7 with all my games installed takes 30 seconds. Since SSD 120gb are so cheap i will get one if i can.

>"NZXT Source 210".

Only 2 similar are being sold in my local southamerican copycat of ebay.

the NZXT H440 Razer, but they are 350-400 USD.
>>
>>60396
>That's not easy here. For some reason gaming cooling cases have a higher price factor than the GPUs when imported here. However i really want to learn how to use watercooling.

You don't really need a "gaming case". Just a case with lots of fan mounts and we designed, i used a NZXT 210 and watercooled. For a pretty cheap case it worked great. Custom watercooling is a bit pricey, but thats mostly cause of the parts, otherwise its worth it.

>>60408
I am really not a fan of OCing. Maybe its just me, but an old IT friend of mine who helped me get this PC told me that OCing, even slightly, was dangerous and it increased the chance of failure on your hardware by a lot, and that it was dumb to OC a system if you couldn't replace it and/or if it didn't had watercooling.

You could do a little bit of OC on air, but its not really recommended. When you OC your CPU just run a few programs like Prime95 to dtress test it an mark down the max temps. You want to keep temps below 60 (Celsius). Overclocking today isn't as dangerous as it was before, just make sure you have a good mobo and take your time, slowly increase the base clock then stresstest and mark down temps. then increase the multiplier and stresstest and then rinse ans repeat until it gets too hot or unstable.

>NZXT H440 Razer

thats a pretty pricey case here as well, around $150 USD.

try these:
Fractal Design Core 2300
Corsair Carbide 100R
NZXT Source 220
Cooler Master HAF 912
DIYPC Solo-T1
DIYPC Mirage-D1
Thermaltake Versa H25
Thermaltake Versa H21

there are some pretty great budget cases i worked with.
>>
>>60440
>Fractal Design Core 2300 - Not found here
>Corsair Carbide 100R - Not found here
>NZXT Source 220 - Not found here
>Cooler Master HAF 912 - Found only one, other side of the country tho.
>DIYPC Solo-T1 - Not found here
>DIYPC Mirage-D1 - Not found here
>Thermaltake Versa H25
>Thermaltake Versa H21
Not gonna buy a thermaltake again. Seriously. Have the Black V12 and its the one ive had those problems i talked about.

I did found a Corsair Carbide Spec-03 mid tower for around 90 USD, seems nice enough.
>>
>>60447
$70 USD here, to be honest its a great case.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-spec-03-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case
Reading through the specs it has good space for cooling, maybe with some mods as well.

paying a extra $20 for it seems a tad steep but thats up to you anon.

how much is the HAF 912 there?
>>
>>60462
Its not 20 extra bucks because i want to, but because that's the price of the only one being sold. The HAF 912 is exactly 100 USD.

Ive also had to give a lot of thought.

My budget only extends to have just enough to buy the GPU, the SSD its VERY cheap so i wouldn't doubt that i could convince my parents to buy it for me, but i need to decide between the GPU or the CPU.

In one hand, most of my games are CPU intensive, on the other hand, my new 1080p monitor will require a lot of GPU power, compared to my previous one.
>>
After giving it some thought, i am still not sure of wether or not to buy the ZOTAC or the MSI.

Some people say the ZOTAC is slightly better, others say its the MSI, but all agree that the MSI has better reputation, thing is, in the US the difference is around 400 USD, here, the difference is literally only 10 bucks.
>>
>>60464
HAF 912 is around $65-70 USD here, the Carbide Spec-03 is just as great.

get the CPU now then GPU.
what about mobo?

>>60467
i would opt for the MSI, you should look at the product quality though. Such as the heatsink.
>>
>>60491
My MOBO might not be perfect, i think some USB sockets that i dont use are fucked? but it will work. It even supports SLI/Crossfire. No idea what MOBO it is.

I will check the heatsink, but i dont think there will be a big difference.

You see, i still cant decide between the CPU first or the GPU first.

I use a lot of CPU-intensive games, however, i have like 3 or 4 GPU-intensive games, and when i upgrade to 1080p, my GPU will barely work.

Also, i just cant fucking stand Catalyst support, i hate AMD drivers. When i posted on /g/ about it all i got was replies from AMDfags and former AMD fags agreeing that the AMD drivers are shit.

So ive got a full HD monitor upgrade that would benefit from the better GPU, games that require CPU, and the GPU brings a change of shitty drivers.

If i had the money to pay for both things at the same time then everything would be easier, but nope.
>>
>>60495
Does your mobo socket support the CPU you want? make sure of that.

You should at least know the brand and model number, Use a program like CPU z to cheack that out. OEM boards aren't the best for high end chips.

Your Radeon 6950 isn't a dead end card. It will be okayish for 1080p.

Here's a comparison of the AMD Radeon 6950 VS GTX 960.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6950-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

Your current GPU should hold out okay.
Get the CPU first.
>>
>>60507
Its a gigabyte Z68XP-UD4. Its not a factory shit, it was ordered as some gaming specs, but its quite old. I do suspect that it can hold with the 4th gen i7, after all, it worked for almost 4 years with an i5 2500k.
>>
>>60516
uhh..

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 is a LGA 1155

i7-4790 and i7-4790k are both LGA 1150 socket CPUs.
>>
>>60516
The best CPU i know for LGA 1155 is the i7-3770K. Ivy bridge and fully unlocked.

You'll need to update you BIOS to use it though. Which is pretty easy.
>>
>>60519
So are 1155 compatible with anything below it? or do i need to buy another CPU/MOBO?

>>60523
i would gladly want to learn how.
>>
Disregard my previous post. I thought that motherboard/CPU compatibility would be higher. Regardless the i73770k has similar performance to the 4790 and the same pricetag. now i want to know, is it just as cumbersome to figure out if my GPU its compatible with my motherboard?
>>
>>60542
>So are 1155 compatible with anything below it? or do i need to buy another CPU/MOBO?

nope, Intel cpu sockets are not backwards compatible.

>i would gladly want to learn how.

go to your motherboards manufacturers page.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3910#ov

you'll need a flash drive.
go to the Support & Downloads section and select BIOS from the drop down menu and select the latest update, i suggest the F6 since the U1L UEFI is still in beta.

you can also update drivers for your hardware here based on your os.

>>60552
>Disregard my previous post. I thought that motherboard/CPU compatibility would be higher. Regardless the i73770k has similar performance to the 4790 and the same pricetag. now i want to know, is it just as cumbersome to figure out if my GPU its compatible with my motherboard?

your motherboard has a PCIE x16 2.0 slot and a PCIE x8 2.0 slot that looks like a x16 slot. Put your gpu in the top PCIE x16 slot and you should be fine.

The Graphics card may say its PCIE 3.0 but all PCIE versions are compatible, 2.0 is still fast and even though most cards are 3.0 they wont use 3.0 speeds since 2.0 is still fast.
So your gpu choice is fine and fully compatible with no bottlenecks or issue.

the only Graphics cards that will probably use 3.0 speeds are 4 GTX titan X's in 4 way SLI on a extremely high end board that has 4 PCIE x16 slots. Which is pretty pricey.
>>
>>60563
I have an F5, it updating to F6 is that much of a difference i will use your suggestions.

Also, i am still not clear enough. How do i know if i have a PCIE and what version is it? i went to a website that had listed all of the motherboards and all of the CPUs it had compatible with each, thankfully, and found out what CPU is compatible with what motherboard, and that i cannot use anything other than the 3770, however, nor that page not even CPU-Z wont tell me anything about PCI, and i fear that i might get it wrong taking a look at the insides and being wrong about what PCI it is.
>>
>>60241
How long can you wait? Any day now and we should get word on Nvdia's next gen cards, which are a ridiculous leap forward (GP100). Even if you don't want to buy said card, the market is gonna flood with 980's in stock, and people upgrading so you could save some cash
>>
>>60565
When you're looking for motherboards and CPUs they will both specify the socket type that they both use. LGA 2011, LGA 1155, AM3+, FM2+ and so on.

PCIE is just those slots on your motherboard, there are PCIE which com in x1, x4, x8, and ,x16 lanes. A x16 lane PCIE can use almost any type of card. There are also PCI slots which are kinda outdated and no one makes GPUs to fit those. Their mostly used for wireless cards or something of a sort.

PCIE 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 are just revisions. Your board has PCIE 2.0. But PCIE revisions are backwards compatible. Using a 3.0 card on a 2.0 slot is no issue because 2,0 speeds are just powerful, all 3.0 does is make that faster. But GPUs nowadays can't even use 3.0 speeds, maybe Titans in SLI will use those but barely.

I'll upload a pic of PCIE slots.
>>
>>60580
Well, first of all, i dont know if the next gen will be compatible with DDR3, then, i am not a retard, not to insult you, but i am not gonna buy the first gen of prototype architecture GPU, besides, i REALLY dont have the money for it. I barely just have enough to buy a 4gb vram 960 and i wanted a 980ti. in no way i will be able to buy the GPs.
>>
>>60582
Thanks, so i can just see the lanes and distinguish if my PCI its xX and if it is compatible?

I am not saying this just to know if my GPU is compatible, but also in case i want to learn for the future.
>>
better yet, just watch these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSHuMHbCWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA

Your motherboard and GPU (GTX 960) are perfectly fine and will work at full speed.
>>
File: 13-128-507-05.jpg (122 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13-128-507-05.jpg
122 KB, 640x480
>>60587
you can actually do that as well, look at the back of the motherboard. I can't get my camera working or i would upload a pic, but some slot look like x16 slot but is actually wired/soldered for x8. Just look at the back of the PCIE slot.

here's a pic of the back of your mobo.
>>
File: 13-128-507-04.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13-128-507-04.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
and here is the front.

According to your motherboard spec sheet-
Expansion Slots:
PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 slots (x16, x8)
PCI Express x1 2 slots x PCI Express x1
PCI Slots 2 slots x PCI Slots

both PCIE slots look like x16 slots, but 1 is wired/soldered is for x16 and the other is x8.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.