[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Actual depictions of Lovecraftian horrors suck. I never understood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: NOWILLSHOWU.jpg (65 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
NOWILLSHOWU.jpg
65 KB, 500x492
Actual depictions of Lovecraftian horrors suck. I never understood why someone would make a picture of one, when the best that can be done is some Power Rangers looking monster thing with extra tentacles. It kind of undermines the whole idea, right?

So, does anyknow know of any art depicting a Lovecraftian god.. without actually depicting them? Like how a black hole can't actually be observed directly, because light can't escape it.

Could one be represented in a picture, but with their actual visage left out? Even if it's as simple as having their location in the picture be a big black spot, as long as the effects of their presence is being properly portrayed.

I'm not making an actual request for such a thing to be made, just wondering if anyone knows of anything like this that already exists.
>>
>>78649
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zdzis%C5%82aw_Beksi%C5%84ski
>>
I think the best method is just kill every character that approaches them, off screen. like they just disappear from the story.
>>
File: error.jpg (10 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
error.jpg
10 KB, 256x256
>>78660
Yeaaah, I've seen stuff from him before. Definitely has the feel down, and at least his monster depictions are somewhat believable as far as "incomprehensibly horrible" goes.

Keep in mind I'm speaking from the standards of my original request, however, and his monster depictions don't quite meet the conditions of it.

Honestly, less work could go into producing what I wanted. While his depictions of monsters are leagues better than your typical Lovecraftian monster depiction, they're still actual depictions that directly show the thing in question.

I wanted what would be more of a depiction of the monsters incomprehensibility, more so than an attempted depiction of the monster itself.

Like from the perspective of someone who didn't know what the picture was supposed to be depicting, it would confuse them.

Like maybe one of the scenes in one of Beksinski landscapes, but with people around to show the monsters effects. Just instead of the actual monster, there's just blackness in the shape of the monster, or something. I donno, I'm sure a skilled artist would be able to come up with something more creative than I could.

That said Beksinski's landscapes are positively.. wonderful? I mean, they're wonderful in that they match specifically where I would think such a being would reside, but.. stuff is pretty unsettling. But I guess that's a good thing, in this case.
>>
>>78661
Seems kinda lazy.

The key is to create a way to depict "incomprehensibility". You can't depict the monsters, just like you can't depict something like the fourth dimension. So why try? You just end up with half-baked attempts like a big ball of tentacles and eye balls, like how people tend to depict Azathoth.

So, instead, you come up with an understandable way to depict the fact that the thing in question cannot be understood.

Maybe something like this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/creepy/comments/4a8q7q/please_do_not_poke_the_incomprehensible/

(Linked the reddit comments of the thing in question just so you know I'm not trying to hide the fact I got it off of reddit)

Surely you've seen that kind of thing before. Images that went through the Google deep dream thingy. Except this is a gif, first one I've ever seen using the deep dream thing.

That thing shifts between "I have no idea what I'm looking at" and "I can kinda make out something" over and over. It's wacky.
>>
File: saya-04.jpg (398 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
saya-04.jpg
398 KB, 800x600
>>78649
The closest thing I can think of is what the visual novel "Saya no Uta" did.

In this vn, which is heavily influenced by lovecraftian lore, the protagonist has a condition in which they see the world around them as if it was made out of eldritch abominations, including other people.

So when he sees other people, the screen only shows you a small cropped part of the monster (which is really a human) that the protagonist is seeing.
If you put together the images shown in the VN, you can get a more complete image of the monster, but even then there are still big chunks missing.

Here's one of the pieces shown in the VN. As you can see, you can't make out what it is exactly, but you can tell there's something wrong with it. I think that's the closest you could get by drawing lovecraftian horrors.
>>
>>78943
Uhh ok that seems cool as shit regardless and I'm going to check it out. Thanks.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.