[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Techies, help! My computer is running so slow!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: ysoslow.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ysoslow.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
My current specs:
MB: Asus m5a97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Water Cooling unit: Antec Kuhler h20 750
PSU: Lepa Maxbron B1000M 1000W
GPU: Asus GTX970

So I recently had to replace my CPU fan, and decided to switch over to the antec kuhler h20 750. I removed the thermal paste from my CPU, and followed the steps as directed in the installation guide that came with the unit. I finished by plugging the USB (Presumably just for the glow effect on the unit) and the 3-prong port I connected at the CPU_Fan 4-prong spot. From what I've gathered on the threads Ive searched this seems to be the correct port for the fan.

When I start up my computer, it reads "CPU FAN ERROR!", I checked the temperatures of the CPU, and they are resting at around 44*C, and the fan is happily spinning at around 2700~ RPM. I skipiped past the CPU FAN ERROR page and found that my computer would run, but it is now running incredibly slowly. Its taken a very long time to boot up, and any attempt to open any program (Even Task manager) is a seriously long wait.

After I initially started up the computer after installing the cooling system I was also greeted by a "Disk read Error". Thankfully, I am no longer receiving these messages, but I figured I would also add a note about it in case it turns out to be a useful bit of information.

I realized that I was supposed to turn off the Q-Fan Control function, so I am no longer receiving the "CPU Fan Error", however I am still faced with seriously long loading times. My windows start up is about 10+ minutes long, trying to open a program such as chrome takes a similar 8-10 minutes. Its so incredibly bad that my computer is basically non-functional at the moment.
>>
>>58453
I did notice that once a program has been opened once, I can then close it and open it up without having to wait for the long loads anymore. I'm not sure what this indicates, but it seem fairly significant.

I was also told that I should keep an eye on my resource monitor, and here are trends that I have noticed:
-My CPU usage seems fairly resonable, idling around 3-5%
-All my cores are being used about equally
-My CPU Maximum frequency is at about 35% idle, and 100% when I have a program running (Again I had to wait 10 minutes to open said program)
-My Disk I/O Fluctuates between a steady 0 and ~200 kb/sec
-My highest Active Time is almost constantly 100% (Is this bad?)
-While I have 2 programs open I have about 15% of my physical memory used.

If you have any suggestions, or other specs that might help with diagnosing the issue please just let me know.
>>
Check HDD smart values?
>>
>>58453
Clearly your CPU is throttling up the ass. Fix your damn fan!

Also
>AMD CPU
Kek
>>
>>58454
Install nod32 antivirus, you will find serials online.
Its probably some tricky malware.
>>
Install Adobe Reader.
>>
>>58455
How do I check smart values?
>>
>>58459
Try defraggler
>>
>>58453
I have the same build (with a different PSU).
Sounds like your disk is failing.
>>
>>58453
nice meme picture friend
>>
>>58456
My CPU is currently idling at 39*C, that shouldnt cause it to throttle should it?

Also, I thought that I did fix the fan by, you know, installing the liquid cooling system in it's place. I also have a second fan on the top of my case as well.

I am quite confused about this liquid cooling system though, it was supposed to be quieter than a normal air intake fan, but it seems like its stuck on overdrive for some reason. Also, people told me that I would experience a loud bubbling noise from the liquid, that would go away within 5 minutes of use as the dry tubes would become filled with liquid for the first time, and this was not the case.
>>
>>58461
Hnoestly, if that's all that this is I will be a very happy man. I'm intending to go back and buy a new HDD tomorrow when the store opens.
>>
>>58460
The problem with that is it will take me literally hours to navigate the internet to download that shit onto my Desktop. Also, I tried installing a few programs on it so far, and error messages would always pop up saying that the program couldn't complete the install for whatever reason.
>>
>>58462
Thank you, friend
>>
you need to go into cmd type ipconfig /all
write somewhere your ip down and call it on the phone
>>
>>58467
That doesn't make any sense at all.
>>
>>58467

kek
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>58470
Finally the first correct answer in this thread
>>
>>58453
no SSD kill yourself
>>
>>58470
Never used it before, and I like to play video games... Not too sure if the two are mutual or not. :P I would prefer to stick to windows, :D
>>
>>58453
>Components with maybe, MAYBE 400ish watts of power consumption
>One kilowatt power supply
You're an idiot.
>>
>>58472
Im trying to ball on a budget here, SSD's are still pretty expensive. Does that mean you also think it is a HDD issue?
>>
>>58473
> I like to play vidya
well you can still do it on linux
>>
>>58474
I bought the PSU with the intentions of upgrading my components over time. The PSU should ensure that I can effectively do that at any time. Atleast, that was my thought process.
>>
>>58475
fire up speccy check cpu and mobo temps, if OK then check hdd smartctl information
>>
>>58476
This interest me, but I feel like it would be a major change, right?
>>
>>58475
Not him but you could have gotten a PSU for half the price and still been well within the range of what it could provide. If you had gotten a $60 600 watt PSU you could have spent the other $60 from your MaxBrony thing on a small but fast SSD to store you operating system and making everything seem lightning quick.
>>
>>58474
He might want to upgrade later on, plus the PSU wouldn't waste the excess power anyway
>>
>>58477
What, exactly, do you intend to put in there? An i7 5960x and four r9 Furies? 600 watts would handle all but the most insane builds.
>>
>>58481
You're right, it wouldn't waste any power but it's not doing him any good either. See my post here >>58482
People tend to dramatically overestimate the power consumption of components.
>>
>>58480
True, Money could well be spent on other components. At they time it seemed like a solid investment.
>>
>>58483
I dream big when it comes to my computer. I'd like to be rocking a setup that required a 1000 watt PSU. However, not even a 600 watt PSU would do me any good right now, you know... since my entire computer is pretty much useless at the moment. Haha

Considering you are more tech savvy than me (As you can accurately judge the right time to buy a higher capacity PSU or not) do you have any insight as to my primary concern?
>>
>>58485
Considering you said that your highest active time is 100%, it sounds like something is keeping your HDD busy. Go to task manager and sort programmes by disc usage.

Overall it doesn't look like there's anything fundamentally wrong with your build, aside from the usual chronic misspending of money in irrelevant areas and cheaping out in other, more important areas. Your issue is almost certainly entirely software related.
>>
>>58486
Thank you for your help friend. I will give that a shot in the morning. Also, if I do end up grabbing a new hard drive Ill end up having to fresh install windows anyways, so that should cover any software issues,
>>
>>58458
Kek
>>
>>58487
If you're up for a laugh, you should also read the full review of that PSU you spent fucktons of money on. It's quite funny, you probably shouldn't have bought it.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=413
>The B1000M is a mediocre performer that does a couple things right but many things wrong.
>>
>>58489
Ill just chalk it up to lack of homework, oh well. :P

Atleast it was only a hundred bucks and not something like a CPU or GPU
>>
>>58490
Power supplies are important. Poor regulation could lock up your entire machine immediately or could give you trouble after years of silently damaging your components, little by little.

I suggest you read up on the PSU you buy next time before you buy it. Jonnyguru is *the* site to go to for this stuff.
>>
/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
>>
>>58492
>/g/

>>58453
Make sure you didn't knock the SATA cables when you was messing inside as it sounds like a HDD problem. Next check SMART values and maybe other things with Speccy, and if you can't install it on your PC then put something like Speccy portable on some USB drive. Only other options are to try reinstalling windows or you might need to get a new HDD if that does't do anything.
>>
>>58516
This thread was moved here from /g/.
>>
>>58519
Didn't mods use to put in some post saying it has been moved? Or have they stopped doing that now?
>>
>>58520
The mod did put in a post saying it was moved. For some reason, the post wasn't moved along with the thread.

Either way, OP seems to have gotten his answer, might as well let this thread die.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.