[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /wsg/ Recently my computer started acting up, suddenly the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (337 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
337 KB, 2048x1536
Hi /wsg/

Recently my computer started acting up, suddenly the screen would go black (but not off). After a restart it would be okay for maybe 1-10minutes before going black again. I suspected faulty gpu (hd6970), but aince te fault seemed to be triggered just when I tried writing something in facebook chat a couple of times in a row, I suspected maybe some other problem not related to hardware. I rolled back from win 10 to win 7, but same thing happened after 15-20 minutes or so.

Is my gpu fucked? Any idea what else it might be, hints for troubleshooting etc?
>>
But aince te fault = but since the fault.
>>
Faulty RAM maybe? Try running memtest.

I had this problem a while back, resetting CPU settings from BIOS fixed it.
>>
>>5688
I suspected RAM early, and tried using only one and one chip, still same result. Unlikely 4 faulty chips right?

I've never done anything with CPU in BIOS, but I'll try anyway.

Tried now with music playing to find out if it stopped, or if it was just the screen going black, but this time it actually went white, and music stopped. I also reverted from Win10 to 7 to see if it made any difference, but it did not.

Again, this time it failed it was running fine for 10-15 minutes until I went to facebook in firefox, stayed there for maybe 1min till it happened.

Maybe I can find an old GPU to see if it makes a difference.
>>
Can't find my old GPU, but I see there's a used HD6950 for sale for around 50-60 bucks close by. Should I get it, and run in crossfire if it turns out it's not the GPU's fault?

However, if it's my GPU's fault, I'll have to get a newer one anyways, but it's always good to have a working one laying around.
>>
Sounds like a driver issue. 6950 is tits tho'.
>>
>>5649
Does your CPU have a GPU integrated?

For this kind of issue, disassemble your PC.

Use one HDD (The one with your OS), one stick of RAM, the PSU and the CPU.
Everything else, disconnect.

Then slowly add components until you find the faulty one.

Obviously, if you don't have an integrated GPU, you need to use your dedicated one.
>>
Check what kind of cpu temps you're getting. I've had this kind of problem before and it was caused by the the cpu going over a certain temperature and the bios causing an auto shutdown.
>>
>>5999
Wouldn't he notice it pretty quickly, considering that the cooler would go full jet turbine on him?
He doesn't seem knowledgeable enough to have a non-standard heatsink.

I guess the noise of Intel stock coolers is a diagnostic feature for newbies.
>>
>>5989
Nope, no integrated gpu. That's why I was thinking of getting a cheap to test with.

I've tried going through one by one RAM-chip, and I think I've tried using various outputs (displayport and DVI), I'll do it again to make sure.

>>5999
I'll check, but I'm not doing anything intensive at all while this is happening, just a couple of firefox tabs basically.
>>
File: 1427600060425.jpg (55 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
1427600060425.jpg
55 KB, 500x420
>>6016
>just a couple of firefox tabs basically.
>Firefox
>more than one tab
>not intensive

You really don't know much about computers, do you?

Anyway, CPUs always generate heat. If the cooling is fucked, the load might not even matter.
What kind of CPU do you have that it doesn't have an integrated GPU? It's either old, a Xeon or a high class AMD chip.
If it's old, it might not have the dynamic regulation of processing speed that never CPUs have, which would mean that its heat production even at lower stress levels stays comparably high.

Have you checked if your fan is running? What kind of heat sink do you have?
>>
>>6022
i5 2500k, stock cooler. Fan is running.
Integrated GPU, but no outputs on motherboard.
ASUS P8P67 LE mobo
>>
Also, last couple of tries (two times with the mini displayport, last time with different DVI) resulted in black screen couple of seconds after loading Windows.

I notice while this is happening that caps/num lock does not toggle on the keyboard when it goes black, if that matters.
>>
>>6079
>but no outputs on motherboard.
Huh, that's unusual.

>>6084
Try to use a PSU from another PC.

The really fucking wonky issues often come from power fluctuations.
Basically, if there's no possibly sane reason for an issue and nothing else works, it's most likely the PSU.
>>
Now the computer has been on for around 15 minutes, haven't opened firefox at all. Ran a virus scan to have something to do, and started Steam, downloading Arma to see if that can be run. Don't want to ruin the good run, I'll try using IE instead of FF afterwards.
>>
>>6102
A lot of results for "firefox black screen" but most/all seem to be related to only firefox-window turning black, not entire screen.

I'll try this, see if it helps.
http://blog.endpoint.com/2014/10/updating-firefox-and-black-screen.html
>>
>>6102
Have you checked temps already?

GPU-Z for GPU temperature and I forgot what the software for CPU temp was called.
>>
I disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox, and it seems to be working now. I'll be back with an update if not, but so far so good.
>>
File: temps.png (79 KB, 1445x660) Image search: [Google]
temps.png
79 KB, 1445x660
>>6139
>>
>>6174
Are those under load?
They seem to be idle temperatures.
>>
>>6183
This is idle, a firefox tab or two open, steam running and downloading, nothing more. Was downloading Arma to try and put some load on it.

Also, fuuuuuck it seemed to be okay but it went to shit again, lasted really long this time. I'll try just staying away from firefox.
>>
>>6214
This reminds me.
I used to have issues with Vista crashing. Thought it was Vista.
Switched to Ubuntu, got it hard freezing instead.

In the end, it was a malfunctioning HDD. An issue that could only be diagnosed by putting in another HDD.
>>
>>6224
I already replaced HDD when I went from win10 to win7, as I had an unused ssd laying around.

I can try disconnecting my storage hdd's, but should it matter?
>>
>>6235
>but should it matter?
It shouldn't, unless your swap file is on it or something.

Then again, computers. Computers are fucking retarded.
>>
>>6239
>>6235
When HDDs fail spectacularly, they can lock the whole SATA controller, which can then lock the computer if the OS is not written to expect that a SATA controller can deadlock.

Computers are fun.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.